Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a new member and I have 2 chihuahuas, Pee Wee and Penelope that I have been feeding raw for the last 3 yrs. This is what I am currently feeding them:
Monday: B: Duck portion with bone/ D: 1/2 Duck Duck Goose patty with 1 duck heart
Tuesday: B: 1/2 Dandy Lamb patty with 1 tsp. ground lamb/ D: same
Wednesday: B: Chicken wing/ D: 1/2 raw egg with 1/2 Chicken Dinner patty
Thursday: B: 1/2 Super Beef patty with 1 tsp. ground beef/ D: same
Friday: B: Chicken Wing/ D: 1/2 raw egg with 1/2 Chicken Dinner patty
Saturday: B: Turkey portion with bone/ D: 1 tsp. ground turkey with 1 turkey heart
Sunday: B: 1 Surf n Turf patty/ D: 1 sardine
I use Stella and Chewy patties I guess because they are balanced ( I agree with the "balance over time" but just can't seem to let go of them) and 2 scoops of Nupro twice a week ( I am debating if I want to continue with Nupro, it might be "over kill"). I also give them 1/8 tsp. of Aunt Jeni's Fish Oil with Vitamin E twice a wk and I order my hearts, turkey and duck portions from Hare Today. I don't add organs separate because the patties already have organ in them. So tell me what you think guys! Any feedback or suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Hi & welcome!! I don't feed raw either, but I think 2 scoops of Nupro sounds like a lot. I use a pinch or 2 maybe once a day. Everything your feeding sounds great and as long as it's agreeing with your babies and they're healthy, I don't see anything wrong with it. Although we don't see the benefits of Nupro, it's like a supplement of minerals & vitamins our chis might be lacking and it's supposed to help/prevent allergies. I don't know how you would give it to your chi's as you feed all raw, but I give The Honest Kitchen and mix it in there where it makes like a gravy.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think your plan sounds awesome. It's very similar to what I do when I do pre-mades. If you want to add a little more variety and more red meats, you could add in ZiwiPeak venison or ZP venison and fish just a couple times a week. It's expensive, but it lasts a long time and it's a great air dried raw to put in your rotation.

If teeth need a little more scrubbing action, you could throw in a beef or pork rib once in awhile for the gnawing action and dental benefit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not familiar enough with the S&C patties to offer much help.

How big are your guys?

Do you give them an entire chicken wing? That is a lot of bone. I cut wings into a few hunks and only give one section at a time along with some muscle meat. The days you give wings, eggs and a patty seems like a lot but it may be right, depending on their weight.

If this is what you have fed for several years and they maintain their weight fine, then it should be good. It looks like a nice variety for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!!

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate it!

Woodard2009: Thanks for your feedback! I should have been more clear on the amount of Nupro. I give them 1 scoop each day (only 2 times a wk) and I divide it between 2 meals. I just mix it in with the patties and add a little bit more water. Actually, since the patties have vitamins/minerals, I think i might nix the Nupro.

Brodysmom: Thanks for your response and suggestion about the Ziwipeak! I actually have fed them Ziwipeak before and they enjoyed it but they seem to like Stella and Chewy better. I saw where you answered my other post as well and since I am always looking for ways to make their diet better, I decided to add another day of red meat. It seems like I read in one of your posts a while a go that you also use Nupro. If so, do you still use it? Do you think it helps?

Ravenclaw: Thanks for your help! Actually I feed them only part of the wing, either the thickest portion with the most meat or the second section without the wing tip. Penelope is 6.5 lbs and Pee wee is 8 lbs. Penelope is more active than Pee Wee so I give them the same amounts. My raw diet has actually evolved over the years. First I gave them Dr. Pitcairns recipes but they put on too much weight and I don't like feeding grains, then I did "barf" for a while, then I did premades exclusively and now it is a mixture of premade and raw. They seem to be doing well on what I am currently giving them (they have been on this diet for about 4 months) but eventually I would like to get up the courage and just do prey model.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brodysmom: Thanks for your response and suggestion about the Ziwipeak! I actually have fed them Ziwipeak before and they enjoyed it but they seem to like Stella and Chewy better. I saw where you answered my other post as well and since I am always looking for ways to make their diet better, I decided to add another day of red meat. It seems like I read in one of your posts a while a go that you also use Nupro. If so, do you still use it? Do you think it helps?
I think adding in another day of red meat is great. I do try and keep Brody's diet at about 70% red meat and use cornish hens mainly for his bone content. I do pork, beef, bison, lamb, and venison as his mainstays.

I do like Nupro. I do rotate supplements though. I am finishing up a tub of Nupro and then I will buy Missing Link Prescription Strength next. I have also used IN. I also rotate oils... I use fish oil, krill, and coconut oil. He gets salmon, mackerel, and sardines occasionally but isn't a big fish fan. He slurps the oils right up though. :)

If you can get tripe, you might try that for variety as well. Hare-Today has great green tripe, either by itself or mixed with other proteins. I have occasionally used the canned Tripett brand when I couldn't get the real thing. Tripe is excellent to have on hand if you have a picky eater as a teaspoon of tripe will encourage Brody to eat things he normally doesn't care for. Beware, it's stinky, but it's a great thing to have in the freezer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok so really the only "non-red meat" you give Brody are cornish hens for the bone content and the rest is red meat. Is it ground or chunks? And do you give him Nupro everyday? I have given Pee Wee and Penelope Blue Ridge tripe but I stopped because the patties already contain tripe. I am really contemplating just doing prey model when the patties run out because I don't want to give them more vitamins and minerals than they really need. (Both the patties and Nupro contain both although Nupro is in a whole food form) I know that prey model is supposed to have all the vitamins/minerals needed if fed correctly but I don't see the harm in supplementing every now and then. It seems that from what I have read about prey model, supplements of any form (except fish oil?) are kind of discouraged as well as ground up meat since chunks and pieces are better for the teeth and mental stimulation and are less likely contaminated? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please) So what do you think Brodysmom or anyone? If you feed prey model or another type of raw and still supplement, what are your reasons? I guess it just boils down to doing what you think is best for your dog since different dogs have different needs! (Ignore the jumble at the bottom, I have been trying to figure out how to post pictures with my signature lol!)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Your last sentence is 100% what I agree with. You do what you think is best for your dog! And for you!

I use chunks. I use very little ground meat.

Yes, hard core raw feeders don't do supplements except for fish oil. I tend to err on the over cautious side and I do use supplements. That's my personal preference. Are they needed? Probably not. Do they give me peace of mind that he's not missing key nutrients? Yes. ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Personally I love the ground meats (in fact I grind our chicken & turkey necks myself as well as my organ mixture of heart, gizzard and kidney). I have had way too many scares over the years with choking (no biggie when it comes back up, but like chicken can be kind of sticky in chunks--it has caused some real scares). I also request that most of our venison is ground. My crew gets plenty of chewing satisfaction from the cornish hen chunks, a rib bone here and there and they always have bully sticks, antlers and cow ears available.

·
Registered
946 Posts
BTW--what is Nupro?:confused:

I only supplement different oils, Vit E on occasion, Alfalfa/Kelp combo on occasion, ACV when needed and ground egg shells--when out of bones:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nupro is an all natural dog supplement in powdered form that has a full range of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids and efa's in their natural raw forms. It is a whole food supplement and for a 1 lb size container it is about $15.00 (at least on onlynaturalpets.com it is). I really don't know what to say about it at this point since I haven't been giving it to the dogs for very long, they really like it ( you can sprinkle it on the food and add a little water to make a gravy) but I like to use it to cover any possible "nutritional gaps."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts