Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14,454 Posts
I think your plan sounds awesome. It's very similar to what I do when I do pre-mades. If you want to add a little more variety and more red meats, you could add in ZiwiPeak venison or ZP venison and fish just a couple times a week. It's expensive, but it lasts a long time and it's a great air dried raw to put in your rotation.

If teeth need a little more scrubbing action, you could throw in a beef or pork rib once in awhile for the gnawing action and dental benefit.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Brodysmom: Thanks for your response and suggestion about the Ziwipeak! I actually have fed them Ziwipeak before and they enjoyed it but they seem to like Stella and Chewy better. I saw where you answered my other post as well and since I am always looking for ways to make their diet better, I decided to add another day of red meat. It seems like I read in one of your posts a while a go that you also use Nupro. If so, do you still use it? Do you think it helps?
I think adding in another day of red meat is great. I do try and keep Brody's diet at about 70% red meat and use cornish hens mainly for his bone content. I do pork, beef, bison, lamb, and venison as his mainstays.

I do like Nupro. I do rotate supplements though. I am finishing up a tub of Nupro and then I will buy Missing Link Prescription Strength next. I have also used IN. I also rotate oils... I use fish oil, krill, and coconut oil. He gets salmon, mackerel, and sardines occasionally but isn't a big fish fan. He slurps the oils right up though. :)

If you can get tripe, you might try that for variety as well. Hare-Today has great green tripe, either by itself or mixed with other proteins. I have occasionally used the canned Tripett brand when I couldn't get the real thing. Tripe is excellent to have on hand if you have a picky eater as a teaspoon of tripe will encourage Brody to eat things he normally doesn't care for. Beware, it's stinky, but it's a great thing to have in the freezer.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Your last sentence is 100% what I agree with. You do what you think is best for your dog! And for you!

I use chunks. I use very little ground meat.

Yes, hard core raw feeders don't do supplements except for fish oil. I tend to err on the over cautious side and I do use supplements. That's my personal preference. Are they needed? Probably not. Do they give me peace of mind that he's not missing key nutrients? Yes. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.