Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a few people at Petsmart and the vet tech at my vet's office that Jezabel looks underweight :foxes15: I don't believe she is! She weighs 6 pounds, and has a nice tuck. I can feel her ribs, but not see them, as well as her spine and hips. I think her long, lean legs make her look thinner than she really is, but to be honest, I think it's just how she looks. What do you think? (Hope I put this in the right place!)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
From that picture, she looks perfect to me. A lot of people are just ignorant about what a healthy weight is for a dog. Even "professionals" often don't know appropriate weights. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought too. It's just so frustrating when you have people (like vet techs!) that ought to know better, telling you that you're wrong. I like to keep my dogs lean and healthy, then get slammed because they aren't fat!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Pfff some folks are used to seeing unhealthy chunky monkeys that's all! :rolleyes:

Your baby looks great! Nice tucked tummy, no ribs showing, super healthy looking shiny coat. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone :) I feel more assured now :) It's been a LONG time since I've had an adult dog this small, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake on looking at her the same way I look at my other dogs as far as "what she SHOULD look like" with a waist and tuck. :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
She looks perfect to me. It's amazing how many people are used to seeing overweight dogs and think that's normal. So many people over feed their pets and think it's love. Love I'd not putting their health in danger and resisting the temptation to feed your dog too many treats when they give you that face. You know the one.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
She's a great weight! I agree that people have gotten so used to seeing overweight dogs that a normal thin size looks too skinny to them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one thing I can't stand is an overweight dog. I think about how many health issues they'll face and I just shudder...

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Absolutely, the pups need exercise and balanced nutrition just like we do.
Except if we eat junk or don't work out that is our choice, the dogs don't
have that choice, they are a result of what we make them. Over here it's
the same story, far too many overweight dogs. My vet actually told me to
not listen to those who say my dogs are too thin, he says they are perfection,
some people are simply used to seeing fat dogs, they do not know what a
dog in shape looks like. I can't stress the importance of exercise enough, it
not only makes the dog look and feel better physically, but it also makes them
better behaved. I use exercise as a training tool first and foremost. After all
a tired dog is a good dog.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
She looks amazing to me! Good job!

I get the same thing with Toby all the time. My vet, neighbors, everyone tells me he is too thin. But I know he isn't. I cannot see his ribs, but I can feel them. Same with his spine. He is healthy and has a shiny coat and good skin. In the end, you know your dog best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts