Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured i would start a thread for anyone out there who has adopted a chihuahua (or I guess any other animal :wink: )
I will start off.

My first dog-owning experience was when I got Tequila, a now 1.5yr old black/tan chihuahua. Her owners got her from a breeder, but soon found out how difficult it was to raise such a small dog. They were going to dump her off at the local shelter (horrible place...they mean well i guess but they distroy so many animals and the place is a wreck). Thankfully before she did this she called me up to see if I would want to take her. Not having any chihuahua-raising experience I wasn't sure, but said I would take her for the week to see. Well later that night I decided I was keeping her! I am so glad I did because she is an awesome dog! I know we are not suppose to have favorits, but I have to be honest and say that she is my favorit!

My next rescue was Kylie, a chi/pom mix. Her owners got her because they thought she was cute (from a pet store) and brought her home to three rotts. Needless to say one day one of the rotts got out and trampled her, leaving her left rear leg shattered. Owners called me up after leaving her in that condition for 7hrs and I took her to the ER. After finding out the problem the owners wanted to put her down but I convinced them to sign her over to me and I would pay for the surgery. Again I am so happy I made that choice! Kylie is such a care-free spirit...just a joy to have around...always makes me laugh! Now she is helping out those less fortunate because she has just been certified to be a therapy dog! Not bad for a dog who the vets reccommended to be put down.

My next dog was a 6yr old chihuahua male. He was left in a garage for months and was very skinny and infested with lice when he was found. I offered to foster him until a forever home was found. I only had him a short time, enough time to get him healthy and trained, but I miss him a lot! It was so awesome to watch this skinny, dirty chihuahua who HATED everyone morph into a more trusting, and healthy dog. He still is living with the owners we found for him and he is doing great!!!!

The most recient dog I rescued was a maltese. She was left in a TINY crate for days at a time with no food or water. The crate was covered with a thick blanket so that the owners couldnt hear her bark. She was very skinny and matted when I got her and I fostered her until we found her a home...it ended up being with my mother, so I still get to see her on a regular basis. She is doing great and has completely gotten over her fear of crates.

Now lets hear about your stories!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I 1st Saw Sunny at my mothers best friend house about the 15th of November. Her husband drives and 18 wheeler log truck and had taken a load to Louisiana. When he got to the woodyard he saw several dogs there. the owner of the yard was telling drivers if they wanted the dogs to get them,that he was going to start shooting them.
Paul thought Emma would like Sunny so brought him home.Emma Didnt want another chihuahua, she wants a Chinese crested. She told me she was going to find a new home for then named "Dexter" and asked if I wanted him. I knew my dad would not let me keep him but I really wanted him and I didnt sleep for 2 days thinking how to ask. Mom and Emma made a plan that I would dogsit and once dad saw Sunny he said I could have him.
I dont know his past, I dont even know if hes fulll or part chih.And I sure dont know what hes been thro. What I do know is that hes my heart,joy and most defininatly hes my love.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Wow! What touching stories and cute pups :) I don't have any pictures of my rescues :( Not on the computer anyway.

The first dog I ever had my uncle actually rescued. He was a scottish terrier. The girl who had owned him let him drink beer and rarely ever fed him. My uncle just happened to be walking past the garage one day and heard the little guy bark. He didn't want the dog so he took him to my grandpa. He named him Jack :). He was probably the most unbelievable dog in the whole world! He was around before I was even born but even though I was little and just wanted to play I can't remember him ever nipping at me or even showing his teeth. I loved him to death. I remember how he went to work every day with my grandpa (he owns a service station) and come home and play with us at night. He was just a really great dog. He lived until he was about 17 or 18 yrs old and then we had him put to sleep. He stopped being able to move on his own and couldn't even get up to go outside to potty. It was so sad. I really miss him a lot sometime. It's still weird to walk into the station and not see him sitting there wagging his tail cause he knew one of us kids would give him a treat lol.

The second dog was a full pom named Buffy. My uncle (different one) was a truck driver at the time and bought her (pet store) to take on the road with him. Normally this wouldn't be a horrible thing. But he didn't know how to treat another human so I wouldn't know what would make him think he could treat a dog right. He ended up leaving her at home a lot with his girlfriends kids. It became their responsibility to take her out and when they wouldn't and she would go potty on the floor he would kick her or throw her across the room or something equally as horrible. Finally my grandma couldn't take it anymore and even though she didn't want another dog, she took Buffy in. I remember the first week we had her the only person she would settle down and stop crying for was me. We kept her in our heated garage (no cars just like another room on the house) and I held her and cuddled her until she went to sleep every night and then I would go to bed. I remember being in there until 1 or 2 in the morning sometime. She and Jack got along famously also. She was put to sleep along with Jack because of health problems (that couldn't be fixed and she was suffering too much). She was about 16 or 17 I believe.

The third "rescue" came to us really. One day after school we drove up and saw this huge white dog sitting in our front yard. He was so friendly and actually started barking at my grandpa when he came home because he thought he was going to hurt us. He had been with us all day that day. We fed him and gave him a bath. We tied him up on our front porch for about 2 weeks and my grandpa asked around town if anyone had seen a dog jump out of someones truck or if someone was missing a dog, but no one knew anything about him. I remember how he could sit and shake and give kisses. He just stole all four of our hearts (my siblings and I) and we all convinced my grandparents to keep him. Turns out he is a pure bred symoyed, and we named him Dartanian (like the The Musketeers). He's still living and loved :) No one knows for sure how old he is. We think he was just a pup when he came to us and I was probably about 13 then (I think).

For my 13th birthday all I asked for was a kitten. My mom went to PAWS and picked one up lol. She was the most beautiful cat I had ever seen in my life. All shades of black greay brown and white. She had to of been 12 lbs at least. She would only come to me and would only sleep with me. She was really my best friend through out my whole highschool career! She was even my dating advisor! I remember I had this bf when I was about 18 and everytime he would come to the house she hiss at him and bat at him and run away. She wouldn't come out until left. She would also sit in the window (my mother said) unti I returned, just making sure I came home lol. Oh! Her name was Suzuki...Suzi for short. *Sigh* I still miss her. I cried and cried and cried when I lost her. She got out of the house one day and never came back. We don't know what happened to her. But she is the reason why I will never have another cat. I don't think there could ever be a cat better than she was for me. She was my baby girl. When I was doing my home work and she wanted attention she would come sit right on the paper so I couldn't write anymore :lol: . She was just the best, no doubt about it. :cry:

·
Banned
561 Posts
what a great thread. all of your stories are touching and reminds me off how fulfilling it is to rescue. once my new puppy is trained (and i have my own apt) i hope to rescue, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts