Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 week female has decided that she now doesn't have to go potty on her pads if she doesn't feel like it!!! :shock: Is this common at this age period? I can't train her outside as we live in an apartment block and I have no private outside space but until now she was using her puppy pads great with no accidents nearly 100%. For the past week though she's been making it probably about 50%.. and when she does make it she goes right on the edge so it misses anyway! I have no idea why this is happening. I have tried changing the pads more frequently to see if this makes a difference .... but no! Plus its real hard to catch her in the act as I'm not watching her all the time. When I have caught her and said a sharp NO and gone to pick her up and put her back on her pad she runs away and I have to chase her all over the apartment by which time she's probably forgotten what she did wrong in the first place! :lol: But it is driving me insane as I seem to be cleaning all the time and all my hard work looks like its disappeared! :cry: Is it just an age thing or is there something else I can do?? I have read that at this age they start testing out who is boss!? :roll:

Thanks
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Actually, 14 weeks is a little young to be expecting perfection from her. I got both of mine when they were around 11 weeks.
You HAVE to be persistant with the training and you HAVE to watch them!
Chis tend to be a little hard headed in some areas, and if you let them get away with something they'll keep pushing the line.

I don't know how much space you have available for pads, but what I did was set up an x-pen in my kitchen that I lined with pads, that way they can't "miss" the pad. I leave the door open so they can go in and out of the x-pen when ever they need to.
Maybe you can find something like that, or take out a few of the side panels to make it smaller.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
loubie1736 said:
That sounds like an idea... but what exactly is an X pen?! :oops:

Lucie & Lola xx
excersise pen. they have them at petsmart and other pet stores. do a google search and you'll come up with all sorts of sights that have them. :wave:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...I found one which is size 50cmx 33x40. It says small size. Would this be ok? :? Lola is not crated during the daytime,only at night so basically I would only be using it specifically for her puppy pads. I'm thinking of putting it in the spare room. I'm thinking though..... if she misses the pads when they're on the floor how is this X pen going to make any difference.... won't she just go 'just outside' it as well!?? :lol:

Thanks
Lucie & Lola xx :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree that 14 weeks is young to expect her to go on the pad all the time. I was just very fortunate that Jasmine grasped the concept of the puppy pad right away, and from the age of 12 weeks very rarely had an accident. But as I said, I was lucky that she was so easy to train. It normally takes much longer.

Just be patient and persistant - that is the key. Praise when she gets it right, and ignore the accidents unless you actually witness her going where she shouldn't. Chasing her around the apartment when she has an accident is only going to frighten and confuse her. Just gently but firmly tell her "No", pick her up and put her on the pad. It may take a while, but she will catch on.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Try going back to basics if you cant watch your chi place it in the pen or crate with the pads. when you are finished doing what you are doing cleaning etc. take her out and place her onthe pad and say go pee pees or what ever word you choose to refer to going. if she goes praise with Good girl..... i mean really praise you may sound silly but it works. I always gave high praise lol and the would look at me as if to say ok, ok shadddddap already lol but noooooooo you did peeeeeeeee peeeeeeeeeeees on the paaaaaaaaaaad what a gooooooooooood girl. Bounderies are and should be set in the home until they are trained to roam freely. If they are going in the bed room to do bz they shouldnt have access. JMHO. I knew if my chis were on the bed for some reason the wouldn't mess so when i did my cleaning thats where they stayed. They were afraid to jump off and wouldnt attempt it. so they slept there till i was done. I dont recommend this for every one as I am home all day and let them out frequently as pups they went out every 35 minutes needed to or not

·
Registered
683 Posts
Patience, repetion, praise when they do it right - ignore when they do it wrong - also dont let her see you cleaning up her loo its not good and then she will jst do it wenevr and whereva she wants expectin u 2 clean it up!

There is bound to be accidents, and she is only very young - so just keep doing as above and eventually she will get what you want her to do!

Love Gilli & Coco :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
it can be a fase ...if she did it perfect before she will do so again.
i know it 's frustrating when the pee just on the side ...so you can clean everything and underneath te pad :? paris had a few weeks when she would aim for that border :roll:

kisses nat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts