Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we had been doing a lot of lawn work all day. We had tied Paco near us all day. He was enjoying himself and we thought all was well.

Last night I thought we were done for the day so I poured a glass of wine and sat down to watch some TV. My husband called me outside for a few minutes to help him.

Later in the evening, Paco definitely had something wrong. He couldn't stand up and he couldn't walk. I tried to call the vet but couldn't reach her.

We thought he must have gotten toxic plants or chemicals or something. I was so scared that he was dying in my arms. He was so lethargic!

That's when I noticed that my wine glass had drool and slobber all over the outside of the glass! My puppy had been swilling my wine!! Fortunately he didn't get very much but it was obviously too much for his tiny body!!

I slept with him on my chest all night and today he seems to be fine. Eating and running around normally. I feel so bad for not anticipating that. If my little guy had died of alcohol poisoning I don't know what I would have done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Wow, that's scary! Glad he is OK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
It is good that he is behaving as usual now. If it was a tiny ammount probably okay but....I would take him to the vet. Wine is made from GRAPES.....

I have heard of chis having delayed reaction from ingesting grapes/raisins....they get kidney failure.

sorry to be the one to put a damper on this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is good that he is behaving as usual now. If it was a tiny ammount probably okay but....I would take him to the vet. Wine is made from GRAPES.....

I have heard of chis having delayed reaction from ingesting grapes/raisins....they get kidney failure.

sorry to be the one to put a damper on this...
Don't apologize. I appreciate the advice. Will call her right now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
Suzn I'm sorry you had such a scare. I hope little Paco is ok now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is eating and drinking normally today. He is walking ok and bouncing from one piece of furniture to another as usual! I have a call in to the vet but I am pretty confident that he is okay now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought it was the skin on the grapes & raisins that was deadly to them as they can't digest them for some reason. There's no whole pieces of skin with wine, but to be on the safe side, I would definitely put a call into the vet to see if they think you need to bring him in! Little stinker!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,776 Posts
Glad to hear he is okay! If he is acting normally, he's probably fine but I don't think it would hurt to check with the vet and get his opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vet said the wine was ok as long as he is ok today. She did suggest locking the liquor cabinet!! LOL

It sounds funny now but I was scared to death! I thought he was dying. I feel so naive for leaving my glass of wine where he could get it. I would not have done that with a toddler in the house!! I just hope the poor guy can survive the learning curve for me to having a chi in the house!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
One of my dogs decided to drink some Stella whilst hubby was BBQing.
It was quite comical but scary at the same time needless to say hubby had a good telling off.
Glad your chi has recovered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,776 Posts
It was an accident, things happen, and he is okay. Lesson learned. And now you have one of those "funny in hindsight" stories. Like, when friends come over you can tell them all about how Paco got drunk one night... Glad to hear all is well!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
I didn't mean to scare you...glad to hear things are okay. We had a memeber a few years ago here go through something awful over grapes.....Rico used to go after such bad things--still does I am just better at preventing it--I out-smart him !! He took the wax wrapper off one of those little baby-belle cheeses last night my daughter had dropped and didnt pick up fast enough (or at all :rolleyes:).....I have been watching poo all day. I said a little prayer for Paco today and am very relieved tonight. THanks for the update
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
Suzn, I just came by to check up on Paco's progress. Glad to hear all is well.
Give that little trouble maker a kiss from me, I'm really happy that he is ok.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top