Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might already know, I planned on getting a 2nd chi... http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-questions/65388-might-get-second-chi.html. Hershey is now almost 15 months old and we think it's about time to get her a companion.. didn't turn out so well.. :(

The new chi pup is 7 weeks old. When she first got to the house, Hershey was all excited, wagging her tail, and inviting her to play. BUT.. as soon as the pup (I haven't named her yet) played with Hershey and chased her, Hershey become terrified, her tail tucked behind, and wouldn't get close to the pup anymore. Whenever I bring the pup to bed, Hershey would get off and lay in the corner of the room looking miserable. So now the pup is crying to death on the bedroom floor since Hershey doesn't want her in the bed. What do I do?? Would Hershey ever come around? :confused: Are there chis who prefer to be the only one? The puppy stops crying when I pick her up. I don't know what to do.... HELP!!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I have no chihuahua experience in that situation, but had the same exact thing happen with a past roommate's adult cat and our two kittens. I think the key is to take the introduction REALLY slow.

It's always a good idea when introducing animals that they meet in a neutral space. If she was coming into Hershey's home, he could have just been taken aback and felt the need to be a little territorial. I've heard that getting used to each other's smell before the meeting is a good idea too. If she's coming on a little too strong, you could also try tiring her out so he has a chance to check her out without her energy level really high.

Since it was freezing outside when we got our chihuahua Odie, we kept our cats and her separated for a week so they could get used to each other's smell and sounds through the door (maybe overkill?). Then when we finally introduced them, we made sure that Odie was on a leash so the cats could come investigate and wouldn't be chased. It worked really well!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Hersey will come around. Set up a bed for the baby with a stuffed toy and a blanket. You have a dog bed? You have a crate or pen? If not, you really need to get a pen, pee pads, a bed and blanket and a stuffed toy for the baby to snuggle up to. This is the set up I had with my puppies.

It's too early to expect Hersey to accept her right now. Give her a few days. They will be best friends before you know it.

For right now, put the baby on the bed, Hersey will probably decide to come up after a while. But the scared baby needs you right now.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sure, there are some dogs who like the solitary life but most dogs have it in them to coexist with other dogs. It sounds like they are still working out their dynamic, and sometimes that can take a while. Do you have a crate or something the puppy can sleep in? For the puppy, she's crying out because she's used to being able to snuggle up with her brothers and sisters and for the first time is learning how to be on her own. And that is a scary thing. Unfortunately, by you picking her up when she starts to cry, that's actually rewarding the behavior. So it's teaching her that when she wants something, to cry. Now, that's normal for pups at first as that's how they got their mother to pay attention to them. Learning how to "self-soothe" is part of growing up for them. I can imagine it would be scary too, being on the floor while the rest of my "family" was on a bed. I'd suggest a crate for her; or a pen if you think she may need to potty throughout the night and you aren't able to let her out then. If using a pen; have a potty pad on one side and the bed on the other (this will help with potty training too, since she won't want to soil her sleeping area.) On the bed side, fill it with soft blankies, chewies/nylabones, set a ticking clock on top; and maybe even a 2liter soda bottle filled with warm (not hot) water wrapped in a towel. Anything to help make her feel secure. And remember, if she starts to cry it's important that no matter how hard it is, you don't give in and give her any attention or she'll learn to continue throwing tantrums to get what she wants. Some dogs catch on quick, others not as easily, but sure enough they will eventually learn to self-soothe and this will be a huge help in preventing separation anxiety as an adult.

As far as Hershey, unless she starts showing any aggression to the pup I would let her come around on her own time. She too will need your patience as she hasn't had to learn how to coexist or share her home with another dog since she was a pup. I'm sure in no time they will be playing and snuggling together; but that kind of bond doesn't happen overnight. They'll need to communicate in their own way and establish their "order." As long as you are there to make sure that it doesn't escalate to fighting, everything should work itself out. Good luck and keep us updated!

ETA: Since Pam showed her setup I'll show what I use too! I try to designate clear areas separating the potty area since we have grass patches around the house too; and it helps with reinforcing that aspect of their potty training.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I actually thought it would be as easy as when we got Hershey. I forgot that each chi have their own personalities just like people. She is very spunky and playful, unlike Hershey who is kinda laid back.

Pam - I took her now to the bed after reading your post. It was like 3 seconds, and she is out like a light. Poor little girl.

KrystalLeigh/Kat - I will keep a note of everything you said... I do need to give it time and do it slowly. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Here is my setup in the bedroom for the baby chi. The puppy stairs is for Hershey to go up and down the bed if she needed to go potty or drink at night. I have blocked that side for the pup so she can't use the stairs.

It's going to be a long night. :(

·
Registered
894 Posts
Awww.. I think she will come around. Just gotta give her time. I thought you weren't going to get the new Chi til 10 weeks, how come you have her now at 7 weeks?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lola would run and hide when we first got Tillie and now they're the best of friends. Give it time
Thanks. Good to know someone else has had the same experience and eventually worked out coz Iam totally freaking out.

Awww.. I think she will come around. Just gotta give her time. I thought you weren't going to get the new Chi til 10 weeks, how come you have her now at 7 weeks?
That was the plan, but all plans lost when we saw her in person. :) Breeder says she would be ok coz she was eating fine. There were 4 pups and the other 2 have gone to their permament homes too. She is holding on to the last one until 10 weeks since he's the smallest and very timid. But she said my pup is ready to go if I wanted to.

I have a vet appoitment tomorrow (glad they're open) so she can be checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts