Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minnie, who we've had since she was 9 weeks and she's now 6 months, is absolutely terrified of collars. We tried to start her slow - a little string or piece of elastic that did NOT squeeze around her neck. She was scared of those, but tolerated them. We made sure to praise her and give her lots of attention and rewards while she wore it. (Only for short periods.)

We eventually figured we'd try a real collar. We bought the smallest one we could find, a quick-release kitty collar. We got it on the first time only because she didn't realize what it was. She proceeded to sit in the middle of the living room floor and refuse to move a muscle. The look on her face was like we took all of her dignity away and humiliated her. We left it on just a few minutes, tried to get her to move, eventually she'd walk really slowly but never would really run or move normally.

The next time we tried to put it on her, a couple weeks later, she snarled and growled and flipped out (though never tried to bite). She ran in her crate and didn't come out for almost an hour. When she did come out, she had tears flowing everywhere and she looked absolutely traumatized. I thought she was faking it - but the more I watched her the more I became convinced that she was truly terrified of it.

Tori doesn't care about the collar at all, and I don't think she understands why Minnie throws a fit!

Any thoughts? Should I just keep trying to put the collar on her? Won't that make her hate it even worse? I want to have them both comfortable with collars and leashes soon - we're looking into puppy school and I know they don't let you carry the pup! Plus I want to take them for walks this summer. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I dont know what to tell you--Bindi hated hers and I just kept it on.....she scratches endlessly....we even lined it with electrical tape to make it smooth...... she is better now but she seems irritated to wear it :?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
How old is Minnie? It took Zeus a long time to get use to a collar. We switched to using a halter instead of a collar. When we're in the house, he doesn't wear it, but now, as soon as he sees the halter, he knows we're going out and sits for it. He's 1.5 years old and just now for about 2 months now actually sits for the halter. Give it time and keep working with her. Maybe you could put the collar on the largest setting and just slip it on her neck and when you do, praise her and give her a treat, then take it off. Good luck :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
We just bought a harness for Gadget adn my husband worked with him untill he let him put it on while he was sitting calmly on his lap(just a few minutes). The one thing my husband said is never leaveit with a bad experience. He grew up rasing horses and he was the one who worked with the baby horses. he has trained lots of dogs too... I sat here and watched the way he did it... I couldn't believe it that in just a few minutes e got gadget to sit there so calmly..... MArk just kept taking to him and telling him that it was ok and he wouldn't hurt him with it.. at first he just put it aorund his body and held it there with out hooking it... then the hooked it... it was a mazing.... I hope I can do that wiht him.... Maybe I'll just let Mark work with him every night after work until he likes to and wears it for along while and then I will put it on him. Good luck... :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rosie adapted well to the collar, it's the leash I can't get her to accept.....every time I hook it on she pulls back like a wild buck and no way of moving her!!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The leash is usually what dogs freak out about, if they are going to freak out about that kind of thing.
I agree with Kari, I would leave the collar on and wait for her to calm down. If you keep taking it off when she freaks out she will continue to do so because she will get her way.
Put the collar on, make sure she cannot slip it off and let her have her temper tantrum. She will eventaully learn that it wont harm her and that you wont take it off and she will stop. Its hard to see your pup stress out like that, but I feel its probably the only way to get your little one to accept the collar.
Best of luck!
-Jessica

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your input! With your help I've convinced the hubby that it isn't cruel to put it on and leave it. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I'm sure she'll live. :)

Another question, do I need to worry about taking it off of her while I'm at work and she stays in her x-pen with her kennel? I know when they're little there's a concern about them hanging themselves, is she old enough that that shouldn't be a problem now (at six months)?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Mine never wear collars around the house - due to the reason of safety when alone - they have a beautiful collar each but hate them and they choke too much if I walk them with the collars so the only thing I use is a harness - what is she like with a harness on ???? :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I have to agree it is much safer to walk them with a harness instead of a collar. I have had to pull Auggie up into my arms with his harness and you could not do that with a collar

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We haven't tried a harness. I figured if she has a coronary over the collar she'd probably just fall over dead if I came at her with a harness! :lol:

I think we're going to work up to that. Because yeah, for safety's sake I'd rather she wore a harness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we are attempting to put the collar on the girls about every other day. With Minnie's collar, every time it's a huge stressful event for everyone involved. She snarls and leaps out of the arms of whomever is holding her. If we do manage to get it on (either slipping it over her head or fastening it normally), then she hides in her kennel. The first time she hid for almost seven hours. When she finally does come out, she's hideously clingy, and shakes and quivers and acts like someone beat her beyond recognition. I've been attempting to leave it on until she quits pouting, but every time she continues to pout until bedtime, and we take it off at bedtime. (The one we are using is not a quick-release, and I'm paranoid she'll hang herself on her x-pen or something in it at night.) I'm almost at my wit's end - she should've been over this by now. :(

The good news? Tori doesn't have a single problem with hers. :lol:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Chico doesn't mind his collar but I just went and bought him a harness after finding out that they are safer than collars. He still wears his collar but only to carry his tags.
The harness though he really seems to dislike it. At first he kind of fought having it on but I just kept talking to him until he calmed down. Then I put the leash on him and he refused to walk he would just jump on my leg and beg me to pick him up. Now he will stay on the on the ground but he fights me when I try to direct him. It seems to get a little bit better each time we use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.