Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading up on how to test puppy temperaments (with points scoring systems etc)
when looking at a litter, and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with that..?

And people who have chis with great temperaments, how were you able to tell when interacting with the puppies?
Just wondering as, although I know puppies often have a great deal of energy, I'd like quite a calm dog in the long run :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Sorry I don't have any knowledge of the points system.
My Zoey has the best temperment of any chi I have ever met. So does our Am Staff Max. I went and met the parents to see what their temperments were like. They were so happy to see me and wanted to get in lap as soon as I sat down. Alot of chis were timid and not come near me. I passed up alot of puppies because I didn't like the temperment of the parents. Now 2 years later Zoey is just like her parents when I met them. Zoey is not calm but neither were her parents, that is what I wanted as I did not want a timid/ shy chi.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is a good question i will be intersted to see the replies...When i went to see Cash both parents were there and both were Happy and friendly even when i lifted one of her babies the bitch was very good about it all. I chose cash because he was quieter than his brother who was jumping around (as pups do) But cash was just soooo sweet and seeing both parents was enough for me really. Now hes home hes nuts lol! But still very friendly and he already seems to know hes not top dog which to me is quite important having a young daughter xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I don't know about the points system but daisy has a fab temperement she is submissive, playful, bold, brave and kind. Her mum was very friendly and got straight in my lap her sister and daisy came straight over wiggling their bums and smelt me her brother did not move and just shook so I had do decide between her and her sister it came down to looks and temperement. Daisy had the better head and shorter legs her sister was the opposite. Temperement wise daisy was a little shyer the other one wouldn't stop daisy went and hid behind the bin. She also tried to lick my face off everytime I picked her up. I made the right descision and she is always complemented for her temperement

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I make sure the puppy is healthy, not bloated, eyes clear, nose clear. I make sure he is not the bully of the pack but is not afraid to venture out and come to me. I like it when they come over an plop in my lap. I never pick the shy puppy or the puppy that is overly playful and bullying the other pups. I ask about the temperment in the lines/parents and I like to see the parents and interact with them personally if possible. I also go with my gut and my heart ;-)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I make sure the puppy is healthy, not bloated, eyes clear, nose clear. I make sure he is not the bully of the pack but is not afraid to venture out and come to me. I like it when they come over an plop in my lap. I never pick the shy puppy or the puppy that is overly playful and bullying the other pups. I ask about the temperment in the lines/parents and I like to see the parents and interact with them personally if possible. I also go with my gut and my heart ;-)
This is exactly the same for me when looking at puppies. With puppies, I always try and look for the middle ground. You should always ask to see the parents and note their temperament.

In the case of my Chi's I got them both as adults so it was a bit different, but they are the sweetest most loving pups on the planet. Not a bit of mean in either of them. They are sweet, loving, and kind with everyone. Alternately, they aren't timid either and they alert me when anything unusual is up. So while extremely sweet and loving, they are also spirited and bold. I couldn't ask for better pups. I feel very lucky. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i went with the parents, but also Darla was the prettiest puppy and very playful too, the others seemed a bit more shy to come over to me.
I know i made the right choice.
I got to see her 3 times before i brought her home too, and each time i fell in love more.

Daisy, i didnt get to do any of that, so she was a gamble, but totally paid off!
She is the most loving little girl i have ever met, my total shadow.
I got her from the same breeder, she was older, and a bit wary of us at first cause she had her wee puppy boy with her.
She did let me pet her and put her on my lap though.
It didnt take her long to settle in at all, and now i couldnt imagine not having her, aswell as Darla. xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts