Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting a bit desperate and have started tether/crate training today. Fenrir seems to poop in the right place but pees anywhere. He's 15 weeks, so surely he can't be marking already?

It started off okay - I put his harness on first thing and walked him to the UGODOG and he had to pee because he was desperate, as he always is first thing. He then had breakfast, did a poop, and we went for a walk and he pooped again. When we came back I gave him chance to go, and he didn't. So he went in a crate (travel crate - nothing but a blanket and toy in it...he sleeps in it every night fine, no messes), and every half hour I have been taking him to the UGODOG and giving him a chance to go. Still no joy. The last time we went there, as soon as I let him off, he peed on the floor. I cleaned it up, figured it was my fault, and put him back in the crate. It's just happened again - he will stand on the UGODOG for five minutes and then I will walk him back and on the way he stops and pees on the floor. Unleashed, he circles, but he's not showing any behaviour that tells me he needs to go, so I just assume he doesn't need to, so I take him off.

Am I doing this right? Should he be CONSTANTLY in the crate when not on the UGODOG, since I can't seem to predict (other than his early morning/post food potty times) when he is going?

Any advice would be good. I am starting to think he will never be trained (which is stupid, I know).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
<<Am I doing this right? Should he be CONSTANTLY in the crate when not on the UGODOG, since I can't seem to predict (other than his early morning/post food potty times) when he is going?>>

Generally with tether training, if you can't supervise him (to immediately move him to the UGODOG if he starts having an accident) he should be confined. BUT it doesn't have to be a crate. You can get some kind of purse or sling to where he's with you still interacting; just not on the ground.

My dogs use an indoor potty system very reliably. I trained mine by using a playpen INSTEAD of a crate; where I can actually fit the potty patch in to take up half the space. Their bed/toys take up the other half. Using their own aversion to pottying where they sleep, they just choose to go on the other side (which is exactly what I want.) Doing this overnight a few times or whenever I can't monitor them basically helps to teach themself and develop a substrate preference. It doesn't take much effort on my own part. You just want to make sure that whenever he is loose, he has easy access to seek out the potty area (and really only let him loose if he's earned it and seems fairly reliable.) I guess it's the lazy person's way to potty train... I make my dogs do the work on their own LOL.

·
Registered
105 Posts
he is only 15 weeks, i found it took a lot longer to train my Chi. He is just a year old now and is spot on on the paper indoors. He does go potty outside too but ive always left the paper down during the day as i have been a little lazy as its been dark evenings and dark mornings here in England.
During the kids summer hols when im not working i intend to take the paper away and see how that goes.
Keep at it im sure it will all come together in the end.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think that some dogs dont like peeing and pooping in the same place...maybe that is part of his problem? Im assuming theres a reason he cant go outside, could you maybe pick up some pee pads for him and see if he will use those as his pee area? Im not sure if that would confuse him more or help, Ive only ever trained to go outside.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm wondering if it's the action of him walking around that is stimulating him to pee? You said he peed only after you started walking him back. I know with Jazz, if I take her directly to her potty pad from her crate, she has to run around for a minute or two before she'll finally start circling and then squat and pee. She'll run up and down the hall a couple of times, then run in and out of the bathroom where her pee pad is, before finally squatting.

Another thought, if you don't think that has anything to do with it, is that maybe you should carry him to and from the potty area. I know with Jazz, when she was very young, she'd tend to dribble/pee on the way to the potty pad, or she'd even leap from her crate and immediately squat to pee. I solved the problem by picking her up and carrying her to her pad, until she developed a little more control.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the tips. Originally I wasn't taking him outside because he refused to go down the steps into the back yard, and as I work during the day and he's with the rest of my family, who are unable to get his harness on and off, I figured training inside was the best bet. However, I've started taking him out now, and he's finally got the hang of the steps, so in theory they will be able to take him out there too, off leash. I started yesterday, and it was semi-successful - there were still three accidents inside. Today I am going to be more structured and do it every two hours. Just took him out first thing and he was fast with both peeing and pooping out there. Looks like he's chosen separate spots for both, so for those who suspected he might not want to go in the same place, I think you are right!

I'll keep you posted, but I am feeling way more optimistic. He's pretty smart - already he can do command sequences (fetch, drop, sit, shake paws, stay - in any combination) so hopefully he will pick this up before too long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts