Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday afternoon I rode past a local convenience store on the way to take my DIL to pick up her vehicle that was being worked on and was ready. I looked in the parking lot and saw the cutest dog that looked like it might be a chi/terrier mix of some kind, but I'm terrible with breeds. He was Lulu's coloring, stocky body and had a collar and a bandana around his neck. He was walking around the gas pumps, but I thought maybe his owner was inside or getting gas and he was just waiting patiently--remember I'm just thinking all this as I'm riding by on the road. About 1 1/2 hours later I went up to that convenience store to get some ice cream I had spotted the other day and the owner told me it was going on sale yesterday (bad, bad, bad!), and that dog was still there. I was just drawn to him--I think it was his blue bandana. He kept walking up to every new person that drove up or came out of the store-- not all the way up to them but close enough like, "are you my owner? No, your not my owner--keep looking." He was panting, and he walked over to a little patch of grass with bushes by the road with shade and sat in the shade. My heart broke. I went home and got a big plastic bowl with a lid and filled it with water and went back up there. I put the water down beside him on the strip of grass in the shade, and I went and asked the store owner about him. The owner said he had been there for several hours, and that someone had picked him up one time, but he came back. I told the owner I didn't live far away and asked if I could leave the water and come back after a while and get the bowl. I would think about what to do. I don't have a yard conducive to bring him home. Lulu would have a stoke if I brought him in (ya'll know she's unsociable--my fault entirely, but she's 5 yrs old and I only found this site last year and learned what I now know). Also, he is obviously a pet. What if someone came back to where they lost him, and he wasn't there because I moved him. I started to post a thread on here what do I do? Anyway, after about an hour my husband and I went back with kibble for him, and for my husband to help me figure out what to do, but he was gone. I asked the store owner, and he said someone came in a truck and picked him up. I really hope whoever picked him up was the owner and he is truly safely home. I really hate these kind of situations. I want to live in a world where all dogs and cats have safe, loving homes and owners don't lose their pets and pets don't have to walk up to strangers in convenience store parking lots with pitiful looks on their faces saying, "Are you my owner? No." But that's not reality. I really want to be better equipped to handle this type of situation should it happen again. But I'm not sure what to do differently. I just wanted to share this with other people who care. Sorry for the long post.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Aww Tina, you sweetie pie, don't be sad.
I always carry a spare leash on me for these types of situations,
that actually happen more often than I like. I hope this pup got
a good home with whoever took him. Thank you for bringing water
for him, you're a good girl Tina. It's not your fault he was lost and
it's normal you weren't sure of what to do, it's not an every day
thing. If ever it happens again you could either bring the pup to
the local shelter, or if you can bring him home, put him in a spare
room away from your pets and make posters + put up ads online.
You really did help him by bringing water, it's getting warmer out
and dehydration can be a killer. Don't be so hard on yourself. Hugs.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Amy and LS. And thank you LS for the advice. I will remember it, but I really hope there is no next time.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm sure it was the owner or someone who can get him to a home. You did a wonderful thing making sure he had water and coming again to check on him. :)

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Thank you Amy and LS. And thank you LS for the advice. I will remember it, but I really hope there is no next time.

I hope so too!
You know, I'm not sure how common this is in the US, but over here it seems to
be a rare occurrence, especially with SPCA patrolling around. Back in Russia we
had so many dogs on the streets, it was sad. Especially in my city, and most
people just let them be, like they are part of the city, part of society. Most are
not someone's lost dog, but homeless dogs that have been dumped or born on
the streets. Very sad.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not common where I live. We have leash laws here, so I rarely see dogs just roaming. It was very obvious that this dog was a pet which was why I hated moving him from the place his people would possibly come back to when retracing their steps. He also would have been uncomfortable leaving since someone else had tried that earlier, and he had just come back. I am just so thankful I believe they did come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts