Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find where I talked about it so I'm going to say this here then. My breeder said that the rule about not vaccinating until a puppy is at least 2 pounds is a manufacture (sp?) warning on the label, and no vet vaxes under 2lbs either. Maybe it's a different cocktail than those of you who said that wasn't true use?? Or maybe it's a geographical thing?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Pups are vaccinated at 8 weeks old, many weighing way less than 2 lbs. So I guess it depends on where you live? All of mine had a complete set of puppy shots before they ever weighed 2 lbs.

The schedule is usually as follows: 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks. Some go with the 5 way, some the 3 way shots. They will suggest the rabies to be given at the same time the last puppy shots are given, but I would wait at least 3 weeks in between.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They also vaccinate kittens and most kittens will barely weigh a pound when they are 8 weeks old. I don't think weight has much to do with whether they give them the shots or not.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the breeder is in Oregon. I don't get it then, but oh well. She said the dose comes the same for a chi as it does say a St. Bernard so they don't administer it until they are of a better ideal weigh. It makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
That's why I opt to give half doses of vaccines to mine. The only one that you have to give full doses of is the Rabies. The law requires it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts