Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share some of the benefits I've noticed since feeding raw, we have been feeding raw for 4 months now:
1- No doggie odor Zoey & Ziva do not smell, my golden's ears don't stink like they did on kibble.
2- Softer coat, their coats are so soft & luxurious, I think my goldens coat is more radiant than it was on kibble, definitely noticed less shedding
3- Better health, granted Zoey's having issues at the moment, but this is NOTHING compared to her normally getting throat infections every other week, this is the first one in 4 months which isn't bad in my book.
4- Allergies, Zoey is no longer chewing/licking herself, the white on her front legs is coming back, she is also completely off of her antihistamines & urinary acidifier, and we've been able to drop her steroid down to every 4th day now, the steroid is for hydrocephalus
5- Ziva seems to respond better to training than most of the kibble fed pups I've trained in the past, she has more focus
6- Hyperactivity my golden is an obnoxious twit sometimes, but since feeding raw her energy levels are more stable, and she's not nearly as obnoxious or hyper
7- Teeth, while I haven't seen the completely clean teeth I have noticed a difference in the amount of tartar on Zoey's teeth. She just hasn't wanted to eat bones in a while so it's hard getting that benefit.
8- Fewer collapsed trachea episodes, they don't seem to be as severe either.

What are some of the benefits you've seen with raw?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have been feeding for about 8 weeks.
Honey does not smell as bad, her weekly bath is now 3 weeks.
She is finally losing weight :)
Breath is not stinky!!
She seems to have more energy :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We've fed raw since Feb though we took a "break" feeding ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen for 2 months along the way. But some of the benefits we've noticed are:

*A definite improvement in dental health. Not as much "stuff" to scrape off teeth (I used to use a metal dental pick to scrape every so often) & what there is to scrape comes off much easier & usually with a finger nail. Maya came to us in April & her build up is drastically less.
*As a result of the above-better breath
*All my pups had tearing of some extent which all is gone except Marley & I think that is just Marley. LOL
*Weight loss! Milo has lost 3+lbs, Maxie has lost 2lbs, Mari has lost 1.5lbs, Matilda has lost 1lb & Maya is up a few oz. All of which is a good thing even though I only thought Milo was the only over weight pup! LOL We had tried for AGES to get Milo's weight down. He was eating less than 1/4c of kibble (EVO) a day & still his weight didn't move. He's now able to eat more food & I'm having trouble finding a daily amount where he DOESN'T loose. But he doesn't complain about all the extra food. ;)
*Improved skin condition. My pups were all prone to dry skin ESPECIALLY Marley. Since switching to raw & dehydrated raw Marley's severe dry skin has totally diminished.
*Shiney, soft coats. Need I say more?!
*No doggy smell. We used to have to bathe every week if we wanted to keep the "corn chip" odor under control. Now they can go for a MUCH longer time & the only corn chippy smell is from their feet. ;)
*the lovely raw poops...nothing beats it!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I've been feeding raw since January when I got daisy

No bloody stools and constant soft stools
No dog smell
No retained puppy teeth
No bad breath
Tiny biodegradable poo
Less impact on my bank balance
Shiney soft coat with minimal shedding
Bright eyes
Slow growth in puppies
No podgy pups muscle gained instead
Calmer happier satisfied pups
No tear staining
No allergies
No farts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LMAO! :hello1: Forgot to mention that one. So true!! And the clear bright eyes....I can also attest to that. Maya & Mari's eyes both have a "softer" look to them since switching to raw. I don't know why it would make sense but they both had really hard/evil looking eyes before. LOL Maybe it's because they were always a bit teary which made them glossy looking? I don't know...

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
All of mine except billy and paige have been fed raw from the day I brought them home and so have no tartar on their teeth what so ever. Billy has non at all and I unfortunately havent been able to look properly inside paiges mouth yet.

No doggy smell.

Small Poos

Bright eyes and a lovely shiney coat.

Less shedding

I love the fact that I know exactly what is going into my pups systems. I love the thorght of their insides being 'clean' (thats how I think of it).

No tear staining, darcy has a bit of a thing with yeast so he gets a little tear staining from treats ect that i give him

And I find it much cheaper that Kibble to feed.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great thread Heather!! I agree with everyone's posts!

Will just post my favorites about raw feeding ....

Small tiny poops that I don't have to clean up in the yard. They disappear after a rain.

No doggy odor.

Fresh Breath and sparkling clean white teeth.

Really shiny coat! His coat is so soft too, feels like satin. :)

No dandruff! That's so unattractive, especially on a black dog. Every speck shows.

No shedding. He really doesn't shed. It's kind of amazing. :)

Inexpensive. Unless I buy some specialty grinds, he gets a chunk off whatever meat we are eating so it's like feeding him for free. His pre-made (Stella and Chewy's or Primal) is kind of pricey but it lasts forever since I don't feed it everyday.

No more picky eating! For me this is probably one of the greatest benefits. He eats a huge a variety of foods and he eats them all without a fuss. Such a change from his kibble days when I had to change it up every few meals or he wouldn't eat!

I'm in control. I like this. I like knowing that I know what is in his food. It's mainly the same meats that we eat. I'm not relying on the pet food industry to get it right. It's up to me and I like that.

Meat shopping - it's fun! I like mixing it up and seeing what new proteins I can come up with. Wild game, duck, pheasant, venison is great this time of year.

Lean and muscular body condition. He's lean, strong, and muscular. NO roly poly pudge like most kibble fed dogs have.

A natural resistance to pests. I've never seen a flea on Brody and he was around a neighbor's dog who was infested. Overall immune system is better on a species appropriate raw diet.

:hello1:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Mine really don't ever fart I remember having lotus and poppy on my lap in raches car and one of them was farting poppy stank of dog but this farting nearly killed me!!! Never since daisy has never farted since I swapped her over

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
- Pippi's allergys have almost completely disappeared
- No more Doggy smell
- Much much cleaner teeth
- Pip has more energy!
- Both their coats shine and are very soft
- No more tear staining
- They actually enjoy their meals now!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've been raw feeding for about a year and a half, and here are the improvements I've noticed:

Softer, shinier coats
Tiny, inoffensive stools
Better teeth
No more picky eating
Gave Sprite increased mobility and quality of life
I love knowing I'm feeding my guys the foods they were designed to eat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts