Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided today Chico will be neutered. He's going Friday at 9am. The receptionist at the vets office assured me it's a simple procedure, but I'm still really worried. Is there anything I should have ready for him for when he comes home?

*UPDATE* I just wanted to let everyone know that after thinking about it very carefully and talking it over with my husband, we've decided not to get Chico neutered just yet. I know that there's only a small chance of something going wrong during surgery because of anestethia (sp?) but that's a chance I can't tak...to put it simply: I chickened out :oops: I'm going to reschedule with the vet in a few weeks, and have blood work done on Chico to rule out anything that could go wrong. I want to do it the right way. Chico is my baby, and if anything were to ever happen to him during the surgery, I would never be able to forgive myself. I'm just really scared of anything happening to him.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
A nice warm bed depending on him. Sturgis when i picked him up you would never know anything was done he wanted to jump and romp as usual. Daytona on the other hand scared the cocka cocka outta me. I thought he was going to die. All turned out very well

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he has his big bed...so i will probably keep that in the bedroom along with all his other things. I won't let him be around the kitties though for at least a couple days because they like to play rough with each other. When my cat got spayed, she stayed in my bedroom for a while away from my other cat )I didn't have chico at the time) she got the royal treatment at home...her own food and water all for herself, her own litterbox, her own bed and toys...so chico will have the very same. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just wanted to say I know Chico will get thru his surgery just fine. I know it's hard anytime you have to take your baby in for a procedure, but try not to stress too much about it b/c our babies pick up on our emotions. We are all here if you need to talk about it. :wave: Glad to hear you've switched him to such a great Vet's office. :) I know he'll be treated like a King!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
aw he'll be fine :) great to hear you found a vet you are comfortable with. it's very important. i'm not 100% liking my vet (even though i wotrked there, hmmm maybe i dont' like it as much cause i worked there and seen it inside and out ya know) but i love chiwi's dr. he ws my mentor when i worked there and i look up to that man.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rachael Polachek said:
I have no doubt Chico will receive the royal treatment he deserves. :)

How about something special to eat, in case he doesn't have much appetite right away?
I don't know what i'll be able to feed him, because i don't know if he'll be all doped up and out of it like my cat was when she got spayed. chico is the first male dog i've ever had neutered, so i don't know what to do. if he can eat anything after the surgery, i'll be making him his "Chihuahua Stew" and i went to petco tonight and bought some Nutri-Cal, just incase. I also got him a new toy as a "pre apology" present for taking away his manhood :lol: and i'll most likely buy more toys for him before he comes home after the surgery. my husband wants to stay there with him during the surgery, and i do too, but i don't think they'll let us.

i have to say, that my hubby doesn't really want to have him neutered...he keeps talking about wanting to stud Chico before we neuter him...i put my foot down and said "NO WAY!" i told him i don't know anthing about chico's health background so i would never ever stud him. Chico is not up to chi standards anyways...he's pet quality and over 6 lbs. none of that matters to me, he's my baby and i love him, but i won't let him breed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The day Chewy came home from surgery he was just mopey because of the drugs still being in his system from surgery. But by the 2nd day he was his old self...I actually had to keep an eye on him because he wasn't suppose to do a lot of activety till the stitches healed to avoid ripping it open and he wanted to do his everyday stuff, which he couldn't. Including cleaning himself down there (like biting and licking). He acted like nothing happened. I had to keep him from doing stuff.
Though I don't think he liked it when the time came for the undisolvable stitches to be taken out because when he came out of the vets office after they were removed he walked over to me and peed on me! Like he was mad at me for going through that,
But all in all it was a good experience. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
When Cooper got the snip, I was a bit surprised that they gave him more of a vasectomy than a complete removal of the ... well, you know. He was so young and so small - there was only one stitch in the area and he never acted like anything happened once he came out of the anesthesia. My vet told me I didn't need to do anything different than normal - but I didn't feel right not doing anything so we went to Petsmart the next day and bought him some new balls. 8)

I think males do much better after a surgery like that since it really isn't as involved as a female's surgery. My cat moped for days after her surgery. Anesthesia also worried me with Cooper but he's had two surgeries so far and he's done great both times.

Good luck to Chico! And good luck to Mom!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx everyone! i know chico will do just fine, actually i think my husband is going to be the one who's going to be freaking out more than me on friday. he keeps saying he doesn't want chico neutered because he doesn't want anything to happen to him...he's scared for him. chico is his little man. i'm going to do my best to keep hubby occupied on friday. we're going shopping and to look at apartments, so i think that will keep his mind off of it. who would have thought HE'D be the one freaking out? looks like i have to be the one who's calm and in control :lol:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo ate a little when i got him back ...i gave him some ham :D
they are a bit confused ....cosmo was acting like "what did you let them do to me " :lol: and was whining a bit; but they are back to normal in no time

good luck chico :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know this vet will take good care of him. i'm going to get the whole works for him though. i told my husband today that when i talked to the vet i told them i want him hooked up to everything they have so he can be fully monitered, i don't care how much it costs. nothing is to much to make sure my boy is safe. (i'm hoping they do give me a discount based on his cuteness though :lol: )

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh good luck Chico! I know how you feel. My Bella is getting spayed tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck. I will probably be posting my own little help me get through this tomorrow. :(

Leslie

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
little Chico will be fine i'm sure , bless him {{hugs for Chico}}
When my Fizzy came home he just wanted to sleep , he slept for about 48 hours only getting up for food and to go to the toilet. Then he was fine :)
(he did seem to like everyone giving him loads of fuss and feeling sorry for him ;) ( as most men do ;) ) )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leslie , little Bella will be just fine too, give her an extra hug from me ..

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fizzys mum said:
little Chico will be fine i'm sure , bless him {{hugs for Chico}}
When my Fizzy came home he just wanted to sleep , he slept for about 48 hours only getting up for food and to go to the toilet. Then he was fine :)
(he did seem to like everyone giving him loads of fuss and feeling sorry for him ;) ( as most men do ;) ) )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leslie , little Bella will be just fine too, give her an extra hug from me ..
for some reason, i think chico will be milking this whole situation after he comes home. :lol:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm sure he will be milking the situation! I mean he'll have mom pampering him! The vet just usually recommends bland foods like boiled chicken and rice. Just make sure to watch out for him licking or biting the incision. You may want to get an e-collar just in case. Good luck Chico! :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what's an e-collar? is that one of those white cone things they put around their neck? if it is, chico will HATE it, but i'll probably get him one just to be safe.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I bet Chico will do fine! Taco had no problems at all. They kept him overnight, which was probably the worst part of all. When he came home, you never would have known that he even had surgery. I was worried because of the anesthesia, you just never know when they've never been put out before. Everyone is right about the men......the hubby kept saying poor guy.....we took his manhood away. Geeez.....men!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts