Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will remember, I am involved in breeding Blue cavies (guinea pigs) which is a brand new gene in cavies, only discovered three years ago in Denmark.
Well we have had our set backs, losing two of the original Danish imported boars, and several mums and litters, as well as all our litters that could have produced a Blue being all carriers.
However, two weeks ago we had our first Blue baby born :D

Introducing Blue Moon's 'Bout Time

Obviously he still has some white and red patching which we are striving to breed out, but we are really pleased with his colour, I think it is very clearly Blue.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in the UK, but they are in Denmark and other European countries. Our prefix is registered with the British Cavy Council, and all the pigs have pedigrees, but are not registered themselves.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GORGEOUS! :love6:

I always had guinea pigs when I was a youngster and would have some more like a shot if we had a garden :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Very exciting! Well done! He certainly is a beauty.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Wow..it's fun to see the fruits of you labor!! Yes, very clearly blue:eek:ccasion5:.
I understand why you are so into the genetics of color.
I get so many questions on Lily's blue color that I am wanting to learn so much more.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Annie, you should definitely give it a whirl. I have kept cavies all my life, and have been breeding for show for about 15 years now. It is a great hobby, I am a judge now and really enjoy it. It is far less stressful than showing dogs lol. As well as the Blue project I breed Self and Crested Dark Eyed Whites and Black American Cresteds (What you call White Cresteds)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, we have to breed it as a Self (solid coloured) variety first to get it recognised by the English Self Cavy Club and get a full standard granted. Then we will be able to breed any variety with blue, eg Blue Dutch, Blue Fox, Blue Dalmations etc, as marked varieties all refer to the ESCC standard for colour.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL that's because I didn't take them! I am the worlds worst photographer! I am working on the Blues with a friend, and it was her who took these pictures, she is far more talented than me.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I missed this thread,he's lovely well done.They're such sweet little things and i used to love their little squeaks when they knew their food was coming

1 - 19 of 19 Posts