Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my 18 year old brought home a stray Chihuahua several weeks ago, we had no plans to keep him. Surely someone with such a nice little dog would have him microchipped and be looking frantically for him. I felt so badly for him that his family had not done that and no one filed a report showing him lost. Based on the few responses to our ad, there are lost chihuahuas out there but no one was looking for him. :confused: I am sure he was loved since he was well taken care of and has nice manners. I just can't believe that no one is missing him.

My son named him Spacely and he joined our house. Since I am at home during the day and son is at work, Spacely gets fed by me and walked with our other dog to the bus stop to drop off and pick up kids. Since he likes to ride in the car, he comes along with me when I run errands. Spacely has decided sleeping in my room is preferred over sleeping in Son's room.

He starts doing his happy circle spinning when he sees his harness come out since he know we are about to go for a walk. Me putting on shoes gets the same response.

Last night, we had Cub Scouts at the school so no dogs. His tail drooped when he realized I was walking out the door without him. About an hour later, I got home and I heard the pounding of his little feet as they came running out of the 18 yr old's room, tail wagging and spinning to say hello. He was very happy to see me and jumped into my lap when I sat down so I could be sure I was aware that he missed me.

My husband said that as soon as I closed the door, Spacely sat for 45 minutes, watching the door and not leaving. Son finally picked him up and brought him to his room to hang out.

This morning when I was trying to sign some papers, he wanted to be right by my hand...in case I got the sudden urge to pet him

I guess I am his chosen person :p

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Does not take long to get completely wrapped around their titny little paws does it! Spacely seems to have landed in a perfect place!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh my, so adorable! Spacely is just a doll--I can't believe someone would ever let him go.

PS: Teddy does the same happy spinning when he sees his harness come out too. :) And he also stares at the door longingly if I leave, even if other people are in the house for him to hang out with. Haha.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You are indeed special since Spacely chose you as his!! He sounds like a wonderful little guy!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yep, you're the chosen one..the holder of the food...LOL ;)(said in a kind chuckling voice, of course)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I do believe you have found your heart dog and he has found his heart human.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
:thumbleft: Way to go! Kudos to you for giving this pup a home to call his own. Spacely is lucky to have you. :)
Have you taken him to the vet yet? How's his overall health, and do you know how old he is(more or less)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:thumbleft:
Have you taken him to the vet yet? How's his overall health, and do you know how old he is(more or less)?
Oh yes, he went to the vet immediately to check for a microchip. We waited a few days to see if anyone would claim him and then he went back to be tested for HW, lyme and his overall health. We have another dog and wanted to be sure he didn't have anything that could be passed to her.

The vet estimates him to be about 18 months old and in very good health. He had 2 baby teeth in with adult teeth so when he was neutered last week, those were pulled. He is also missing some of his other teeth but some points can be felt and others can be felt under his gum line. Without an x-ray, we can't know for sure if they are impacted or just need some help to come down all the way. He is not having any mouth issues so this has taken a back seat for a bit but will eventually be done.

So for now, he is now neutered, on HW prevention, had his vax started (he is not getting them all in one dose, I am spreading them out) I am going to microchip him at his neuter check in about 10 days. He is eating raw like a champ and settling in very nicely.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Isn't it nice to be the chosen one! I love it how if Axel and my hubby are sitting on the couch and I come and join them Axel immediately jumps off hubby's lap and on to mine. It's probably just because I'm the feeder and walker in our house but i'd like to think it's because we have a special bond too!

Spacely is just adorable. He has such a kind and wise little face.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Oh yes, he went to the vet immediately to check for a microchip. We waited a few days to see if anyone would claim him and then he went back to be tested for HW, lyme and his overall health. We have another dog and wanted to be sure he didn't have anything that could be passed to her.

The vet estimates him to be about 18 months old and in very good health. He had 2 baby teeth in with adult teeth so when he was neutered last week, those were pulled. He is also missing some of his other teeth but some points can be felt and others can be felt under his gum line. Without an x-ray, we can't know for sure if they are impacted or just need some help to come down all the way. He is not having any mouth issues so this has taken a back seat for a bit but will eventually be done.

So for now, he is now neutered, on HW prevention, had his vax started (he is not getting them all in one dose, I am spreading them out) I am going to microchip him at his neuter check in about 10 days. He is eating raw like a champ and settling in very nicely.
He's a cutie...glad he found y'all...!!!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts

Sounds like you are taking excellent care of him! Good for you! I hope he keeps making you happy for a very long time! :) I'll look forward to more pictures of Spacely the Mr.Handsome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts