Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The day we had to give Taco away...
He's too much of a pest and my parents wont let obedience training be an option... :(

He:
Bit people
Snarled at people
Pooped in the house
Chased the cats
Got into the cat food
Chewed things
Made a mess in general
and my parents wont let me keep him OR get another chihuahua.. My dream has ended... its over... I cant get a chihuahua until im 18. :love9: :cry:
I'm tearing up.. I will never forget my baby Taco. Once he is gone.. I'll be.. a mess :cry:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am sorry to hear that...I also don't have any suggestions, as you are a minor and your parents basically rule the roost so to speak.

A yorkie won't likely be any better?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just remember, yorkies are terriers. they like jobs and lots of activity. they tend to be a little more maintenance then chi's although it sounds like your boy was a handful too. Do your research on a yorkie, maybe find a forum like this? Lots and lots of yorkies in rescues for the same reasons your listing for your boy. biting, barking, growling, prey drives ( cat chasing). There are also super sweet ones. but once a terrier always a terrier lol. also consistent grooming, since they have hair, not fur. so there's that expense.

I'm sorry you had to give your boy up :(

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A yorkie isn't going to solve the problem. You can't keep going through dogs until the perfect one comes along. Honestly.... There is no such dog. Many dogs have issues, I don't know of one that doesn't. That is why it can be such a pain having pets. You have to work with their problems to fix them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is so terrible for poor Taco. =( I hate things like this I always feel so terrible for the little animals having to go through home after home. Bless his heart. I know I don't have any good advice toward poor little Taco but I really would not get another dog until you're out of the house and on your own, have the time, responsibility and everything else that comes with owning a DOG! A dog is a dog for life, that's just it should be for the dog. The Yorkie will definitely not fix the problem hon, not at all. ;( YOu never know if that Yorkie will end up like Taco and then there goes another dog. So sorry Taco is leaving. :(

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Is this a troll? Maybe just my impression since I haven't been on lately. Just my unbiased thought... apologies if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
A yorkie isn't going to solve the problem. You can't keep going through dogs until the perfect one comes along. Honestly.... There is no such dog. Many dogs have issues, I don't know of one that doesn't. That is why it can be such a pain having pets. You have to work with their problems to fix them.
here here well said :)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
**UPDATE**
I did it, my parents ARE looking for obedience schools
Hey so I just wanted to say that..
Lola eats cat food and sometimes cat poop too if i dont watch her Gross i know.. And sometimes chihuahuas like any dogs have accidents in the house.. its good that you are going to try the obedience school Taco sounds like he just needs some work.. Quark my male came from an abusive home and he is a very different dog now.. we got him fixed and have worked with him to over come his fears altho he isnt 100 % the perfect dog he is still amazing and i am so Proud of what he has over come in these 2 years .... Having a dog like that is hard especially when you are young and have school and such you dont have time to work with him as much but do your best and i am sure he will come around... your parents need to understand a dog that comes with baggage can be a lot of work... Good luck to you and Taco.....

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would suggest contacting your vet or a local shelter and asking for a recommendation for a trainer, rather than "obedience schools". It doesnt sound like he is "disobedient" it sounds as if he has been mistreated and more than likely is biting out of fear. I think he would benefit more from working with a trainer who can evaluate him and make suggestions specific to his situation of things you can do to help him. Obedience schools focus more on things like "sit, stay, down" which arent difficult to teach at home, and dont really address serious problems like fear biting. When we called a trainer for my fiances previous dog she came and did an hour long visit to assess his problems, talk with us, and work with the dog. Then she gave us a list of things to work on and followed up with emails and further suggestions. She didnt charge for the initial visit and because she followed up with us through emails and over the phone we never needed to call her back. That said, she was very helpful and we would gladly have paid if we needed her to come back.
Re the cat food- cat food tastes yummy to dogs and they love to steal it, regardless of the type of dog or how well trained they are. If you have cats, you need to keep their food up high so he cant get to it. I feed my cats on top of a dresser so they can eat in peace and any food they leave wont get gobbled up by one of the dogs. If hes chasing them, hes probably a little bored and you could curb it through giving him exercise, mental stimulation (playing games with him where he has to really think), and a little training. Letting a kitty get fed up and swatting him helps too :)
Im assuming you edited your initial post to remove the part about a yorkie, because I dont see it. Just wanted to add that while youre a kid in your parents home you cant control whether they choose to get rid of your chi, but to get another dog in that situation would be very unfair to that dog and to Taco.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Taco's mom. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO glad that your parents are going to try working with Taco. Yorkies are NOTORIOUSLY hard to housebreak, so if they did get a yorkie it would be hard to deal with as well. I think obedience training would work/help out a lot with Taco's issues.

Bit people
Snarled at people

***Socialization & training will help with these issues
Pooped in the house
***Crate training & potty training/supervision will help with this issue

Chased the cats
***Training will help with this issue, Ziva likes to chase my cats...we are working on the command leave it with her and it's really helping.

Got into the cat food
***put the cat food up on something that Taco can't get too. Better yet feed the cats on a timed feeding schedule like twice a day which is better for them anyways

Chewed things
***provide things that are 'appropriate' for him to chew on and offer 'trades' when he is chewing on things he shouldn't.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm so glad you're able to work with Taco! I also agree that all of the issues he has would be repeated by the next dog if you did have to give Taco away. These are all issues we as owners have to work on to prevent and correct when they present. Dogs don't come well trained & perfect...NONE of them. ;) And I don't know where he came from but these behaviors don't mean he necessarily came from an abusive home either. He is simply an unbalanced & insecure pack leader...that is his job as no human has taken the pack leader stand, his whole life by the sounds.

I agree with the other Heathers suggestions. We have to put the cat food/cat box where the Chi's can't get to it or they WILL eat food & poo. They do chase the cats. Not their fault...the cats are bags to them & RUN to & from the doggy door so they get chased. I am able to stop them at times...others I'm unable to because I'm not there. It's annoying but that's the way it will be until we no longer have cats because I have NO clue how to train cats. LOL Chewing is a sign of bordom. Taco needs a loooooooong brisk walk a couple times a day & I bet he'd not chew so much...also giving him appropriate things to chew will help.

Anyway, good luck with a trainer. I do think a trainer coming in will be better than any obedience school. Obedience school teaches dogs to sit, lay down, stay, etc. You need a private trainer to help with Taco's specific problems. And I'm guessing any obedience school will recognize that right off the bat. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I may, here is my advise:

Bit people: A firm "NO" (I say," NO BAD BOY and point), be consistent, redirect, no laughing or encouraging it.
Snarled at people: Ditto above
Pooped in the house: It happens, but the best thing I ever did was tied bells to the door and tought mine how to ring them when he has to 'go'. Treats, treats, and lots of love and praise when he does 'go' in the right spot. If he goes else where, clean the spot well and redirect him.
Chased the cats: Cats are always fair game, your family will have to get over that.
Got into the cat food: Put it up high, your cat will get to it and your dog wont. I put mine on the end table upstairs.
Chewed things: Get some bones and lots of toys, but yes, they like to do this too, but If you have plenty of this, he will grab less of the 'no no' stuff! Toss him a bone when he grabs the wrong things and also, try putting his toys in his crate, he should start going there to grab 'his' stuff when he wants to play.
Made a mess in general: Keep him busy, he sounds bored.

Honestly, shame on your parents.. the above is really not a reason to pass him to the next person. I did read where your parents are willing to work with him and I think that is awesome and WTG parents! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It is so great to see the people on this forum reach out to help....Lots of good information, advice and common sense go a long way....
So glad you are keeping little Taco.....it takes hard work, patience and lots of love to have a pet and especially when they are a bit of a challenge :)
I hope his training goes well and follow through at home and hopefully you will see lots of positive improvments:)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts