Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gemma is approaching 7 months soon and still loves to eat her poop. If she uses her pad to poop when I'm not looking, sleeping, or not home, she will take it into her crate and eat some or all of it. :pukeright:

I tried the pineapple juice trick for a little while, but I didn't see any improvement. I did only try it for less than a week though because Gemma was really hating it and skipping meals that I mixed it into. She seems to be more of a chow-hound for her Acana and raw now so maybe I could give it another go. I do mix crushed chewable vitamin C tablets and Plaque Off for her teeth into her food and she doesn't seem to notice.

Other than pineapple, does anyone have any product suggestions? I haven't had a lot of success finding any products that are sold in Europe. We asked at the vet's here about it and they said had never even heard of any product like that. :rolleyes: I contacted the customer service on For-Bid's website and they told me they could ship their product to me from the US, but the shipping would be expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any products that are sold from European-based sites.

If you've had success with any products at all, whether they are US based or not, I would like to hear because I'm willing to spend the extra money on shipping to solve this problem if the product is worthy. I just don't know how much of these things actually work.

If we can get this poop eating issue solved, Gemma will be just about perfect with everything. She tends to poop a lot too, like 3 times daily, so it's often that at least once a day she gets to eat it. I'm not sure why she poops so much either. She eats Acana and raw. I notice she definitely poops a ton more from her Acana than when she was just eating raw on its own. Unfortunately we just cannot afford straight raw here.

Oh, and by the way, Gemma's tummy issues resolved themselves a few days ago so we didn't end up taking her to the vet. She has been back on Acana for three days now and she's doing perfectly fine. We'll take her in immediately if the problems show up again, but for now, it seems like it's all gone. Maybe she just had a bug or ate something that temporarily irritated her intestine.

I'm sorry for my novel! I always babble on too much.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Minnie and Tootsie ( they are littermates) , used to do that and did i hate it. i tried alot of things but nothing worked ... never tried Forbid though but i just didnt seem to think it was going to work.

i'm home alot, so i'd just try to pick it up as soon as i could. but of course i wasnt always there at the right moment. lol.

they are over 4 years old now, and dont do it anymore... not sure if its cause i switched them to Ziwipeak or if they just outgrew it... but i had this problem for along time... i'd say at least a year.

if theres anything else you want me to put in with the Ellie hoodie , let me know... i'll just charge you exactly what i pay for it and the exact shipping

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Caitlin, there are so many reasons why dogs eat their feces.

In your case it sounds like it's from boredom. I'm personally not a fan of quick
solution products, so if it were me I'd up her exercise regimen, walk her more
frequently, play and train more often.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minnie and Tootsie ( they are littermates) , used to do that and did i hate it. i tried alot of things but nothing worked ... never tried Forbid though but i just didnt seem to think it was going to work.

i'm home alot, so i'd just try to pick it up as soon as i could. but of course i wasnt always there at the right moment. lol.

they are over 4 years old now, and dont do it anymore... not sure if its cause i switched them to Ziwipeak or if they just outgrew it... but i had this problem for along time... i'd say at least a year.

if theres anything else you want me to put in with the Ellie hoodie , let me know... i'll just charge you exactly what i pay for it and the exact shipping
I tried switching her to ZP and she hated it, but while I was feeding straight raw for a few weeks she was still eating her poop. Does seem like changing food helps in her situation. Ugh, I guess I can only hope she grows out of it!

Okay, sounds good! Do you have a list of the items you will be getting in your next order? Or are you going to make a post about it all later? I might be interested in some more items since I really love the Ruff Ruff stuff.

Caitlin, there are so many reasons why dogs eat their feces.

In your case it sounds like it's from boredom. I'm personally not a fan of quick
solution products, so if it were me I'd up her exercise regimen, walk her more
frequently, play and train more often.
I think it could be boredom as well, but maybe also attention because she does even try to grab it when we are outside walking and she poops. She even ate it one time very quickly as I was struggling to pull a waste bag out of my pocket. Clearly that's not due to boredom while we're out walking.

I guess having her completely tired out and sleeping any time we're not paying attention to her would solve the problem... but my boyfriend and I are just not as active as you an your hubby! We walk her daily, play with her, go over her tricks for tummy rubs and the occasional treat, but I guess we are not active enough to keep her totally busy and tired. Even if we are out all day with her for hours, we can come home, try to have some "alone time," and she runs off and poops and tries to eat it. Almost every single romantic moment we try to have is interrupted by a poop. Kind of a mood killer, lol. She just wants to be with us all the time, and then if she's not, she seems to do that.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, also LS, the fact that she's pooping 3-4 times per day not on a specific schedule is making it difficult to predict when she is going to poop so I can be ready to pick it up. I'm starting to feed her earlier now in the evening so she does not poop after we go to bed, but sometimes she won't poop for 8 hours and decides to do it at 4 or 5am while we're still sleeping. Is it normal for her to poop this much? When I was feeding her exclusively raw while we were out of Acana, her poops were so tiny and she seemed to only be pooping once per day. Now she's back eating her Acana and she poops tons! If I could feed her exclusively raw, I would, but meat is too expensive here. I had planned a steak dinner for us this evening but since there was no steak cheaper than $17 per lb ($38 per kg), it was out of the question. That's how crazy this place is with fresh meat. I am feeding her evening raw meals a few nights per week now and intend to increase it to every single night once I can find some decent meat on sale and stock up on it, but I just can't feed her 100% raw at the moment. Tonight she had some of the pork we ate since that was what we could afford for our dinner.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
OH, i meant any kind of product like forbid that i could pick up at a petshop and send you... but if you do want something else ruff ruff i can tell you what i have. i'll message you when i get a chance ( sometime before i get my order ) with what i have in XXS that i think will fit Gemma. i dont know when i'll make another post with new things... i just havent felt much like snapping pics ... depends on my mood i guess ...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH, i meant any kind of product like forbid that i could pick up at a petshop and send you... but if you do want something else ruff ruff i can tell you what i have. i'll message you when i get a chance ( sometime before i get my order ) with what i have in XXS that i think will fit Gemma. i dont know when i'll make another post with new things... i just havent felt much like snapping pics ... depends on my mood i guess ...
Oh! Haha, well that's even better! I may really like to take you up on that offer if I can get some feedback on any decent products. Paying for the shipping directly from the companies is usually outrageously overpriced. I'll definitely let you know. I'm also going to research some products this weekend and see if there's anything that sounds effective.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Caitlin, why not just train her to potty outdoors? Schedule her feedings and take
her out to do her business. If she is given a "toilet" in the house, why would she
poop only at certain times? She'll go whenever she feels like because she can. I
really think these darn pads are the source of many behavioral problems. And
definitely the lack of sufficient exercise contributes to her boredom and
attention seeking behaviors. As for Acana poops, they should be similar to raw
poops, very tiny, practically odorless, and not frequent. How much Acana are
you feeding? Do you give treats or table food?(this could be the cause of her
frequent stools).

Also, when you do take her on walks, is it structured on-leash? Do you run, play,
walk through rough/uneven terrain? You have to make her work a little, train and
exercise, not just let her roam and smell the grass, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caitlin, why not just train her to potty outdoors? Schedule her feedings and take
her out to do her business. If she is given a "toilet" in the house, why would she
poop only at certain times? She'll go whenever she feels like because she can. I
really think these darn pads are the source of many behavioral problems. And
definitely the lack of sufficient exercise contributes to her boredom and
attention seeking behaviors. As for Acana poops, they should be similar to raw
poops, very tiny, practically odorless, and not frequent. How much Acana are
you feeding? Do you give treats or table food?(this could be the cause of her
frequent stools).

Also, when you do take her on walks, is it structured on-leash? Do you run, play,
walk through rough/uneven terrain? You have to make her work a little, train and
exercise, not just let her roam and smell the grass, if you know what I mean.
I'm just not sure about outdoor training where we live. Pads are much more convenient and of course I understand she's not going to have a scheduled potty system, but usually just when you feed the same time every day, they tend to go at certain times. If we had a yard, I would have sworn by outdoor training to begin with, but in this apartment building, I'm more comfortable with pads. My Chihuahua in the US never displayed any of these issues and she has been pad trained all her life, and she also goes outside when she is out. She does not go anywhere else inside and has never eaten her poop. My Mom trained her and I followed my Mom's training advice to the exact with Gemma but the results have not been the same. I don't know if I screwed up somewhere or if it just varies with every dog.

She rarely gets treats. Maybe 2-3 days a week she will get a tiny nibbles of cheese or kibble for doing tricks and training sessions, but it's not daily that she gets anything between meals. I feed her just a bit less than two tablespoons morning and evening, so less than 1/4c daily.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
I'm in an apartment as well, so I know it's not as easy as having a yard. But
personally even if I had a yard I would still walk my dogs 3-4 times per day,
a yard just does not cut it, they need structured walks. I'm a firm believer
in exercise being a solution to many behavioral issues, I think it will benefit
Gemma to walk more frequently. Lack of nutrients could be a cause for
poop eating also, but it's likely not your case since your pup is on a high
quality diet. I wish you luck my friend, don't lose hope, keep working at finding
a solution, it'll come.

When was Gemma's last vet visit? Have you mentioned this issue to him/her?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sorry, couldn't read all replies, but dogs going on to ZiwiPeak & coincidentally stopping makes me wonder if that stops them. Mine did it for a couple of months pre-ZP and then stopped. I've read a lot of similiar cases.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in an apartment as well, so I know it's not as easy as having a yard. But
personally even if I had a yard I would still walk my dogs 3-4 times per day,
a yard just does not cut it, they need structured walks. I'm a firm believer
in exercise being a solution to many behavioral issues, I think it will benefit
Gemma to walk more frequently. Lack of nutrients could be a cause for
poop eating also, but it's not your case since your pup is on a high quality
diet. I wish you luck my friend, don't lose hope, keep working at finding a
solution, it'll come.

When was Gemma's last vet visit? Have you mentioned this issue to him/her?
I know, but I will admit I'm not that perfect, lol. I just really like the convenience of the pads living here. I agree though that we can improve on how much we walk her. Oh I forgot to say that she does walk on her leash and we do walk through the forest and take her on new routes each week, and then sometimes after our walks we let her run around off leash behind the apartments and chase her around for some extra fun. I try to make her work a bit and have her explore new areas instead of keeping her on the same boring walk every day.

She hasn't been to the vet since her puppy vaccinations. We were actually going to bring her this week because she was having bouts of diarrhea for about 5 days, but it suddenly cleared up so we held off on taking her in. We had called as soon as it started happening but they told us not to come in immediately and to give her boiled chicken and rice to help firm up her stools. I thought it wasn't working after 5 days so I stopped on the 5th day and gave her Acana that night and suddenly her poop was back to normal. We had planned on bringing her into the vet the following morning before we realized her poop was back to normal. If it starts up again though at all, she's going in immediately. The diarrhea had started after I was feeding her raw beef and chicken bones for a week straight. I'm not sure if it was a reaction to the raw beef or something. Now I'm frightened to try feeding her beef again. Sadly I don't have a lot of faith in vets here after the advice and things we've been told so far. It feels like we're talking to someone working in a pet store sometimes rather than a veterinarian.

Thank you for all the advice and luck as always, LS. Glad to have you back here. :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, couldn't read all replies, but dogs going on to ZiwiPeak & coincidentally stopping makes me wonder if that stops them. Mine did it for a couple of months pre-ZP and then stopped. I've read a lot of similiar cases.
Hey, Dee. As you know I was trying to switch her to ZP but she refused to eat the dry. She was eating wet ZP for about 1.5 weeks and that didn't stop her poop eating. Not sure if the wet or dry makes a difference. Straight raw for over a week also didn't help her poop eating habit. I'm not sure if she even cares what comes out the other end, maybe it's just all for attention of some sort rather than actually enjoying eating the poop itself, because sometimes she doesn't even eat it. She just carries it into her crate and chews it up and spits it out. Lovely.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Poppy used to do that - she's a hoot, she poops out in the garden, straight after doing so she does what we call the poopy poppy dance - she walks backwards away from her poop, all the time scratching the ground with her paws raising them high - it really is like a little dance, then she would go back to eat - luckily I would catch her every time due to her little dance and I'd just let out a high pitch Ahh- Ahh. She's stopped now...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poppy used to do that - she's a hoot, she poops out in the garden, straight after doing so she does what we call the poopy poppy dance - she walks backwards away from her poop, all the time scratching the ground with her paws raising them high - it really is like a little dance, then she would go back to eat - luckily I would catch her every time due to her little dance and I'd just let out a high pitch Ahh- Ahh. She's stopped now...
Lol, that sounds funny. I bet if I caught Gemma every time, she would stop, too. Guess that comes back to the pads and allowing her to go when she pleases so that sometimes we're just not even home to pick it up.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have one who does, one who will occasionally and one who would never eat it. They have the same environment, same diet, same activity.

Even our holistic vet (she sees just one of our dogs and that happens to be the poo eater) and I have discussed this at length.

I have tried enzymes, pineapple juice, coprophagy tablets and even meat tenderizer.

We are now working on interrupting her behavior (spray bottle and "ch" sound) and stopping the behavior with a technique our trainer calls "the whistle, then the missile". No dogs are injured during the use of these aggressive sounding techniques.

Works great if I catch her. She is eating poo less so we are making progress. She is 2 in 2 weeks so I am trying to work on this as much as I can while she is still young.

I can relate and I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have one who does, one who will occasionally and one who would never eat it. They have the same environment, same diet, same activity.

Even our holistic vet (she sees just one of our dogs and that happens to be the poo eater) and I have discussed this at length.

I have tried enzymes, pineapple juice, coprophagy tablets and even meat tenderizer.

We are now working on interrupting her behavior (spray bottle and "ch" sound) and stopping the behavior with a technique our trainer calls "the whistle, then the missile". No dogs are injured during the use of these aggressive sounding techniques.

Works great if I catch her. She is eating poo less so we are making progress. She is 2 in 2 weeks so I am trying to work on this as much as I can while she is still young.

I can relate and I understand your frustration.
Karen, I am so glad you responded since I know your girls use pads exclusively.

My boyfriend actually wanted to use the spray bottle method, but I was worried that spraying her immediately after she pooped and turned to eat it on the pad would make her think it was bad to poop on her pad. How do you go about it? Also, whenever I catch her after the act and she has already taken it to her bed and started eating it, I walk over and she runs out and I say "NO POOP EATING! BAD GIRL!" in a very stern voice and she puts her ears back and slowly walks away from me as if she knows I'm not happy with her. I'm not sure if I should continue this or if it's not helping at all. I'm assuming just preventing it from happening as much as possible is they key to treating the problem.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I'm sorry Caitlin, I know this is so frustrating, but I can't help but laugh. I get this image of Gemma...small, princess, baby, cute, snuggly, all those pretty shimmering words-and then imagine that pretty girl...eating. her. poop. hahahahahaha.

in all seriousness, I hope she stops. hehehehe

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Cack, reading this is bringing back so many horrible memories, it's the whole reason mine were not allowed to lick and that became permanent thing in their minds even after they stopped eating, still no "lickies" but I don't mind one little bit.

I cannot imagine what makes man (yes, bizarrely many humans do) or beast do this disgusting thing - actually, come to think of it, I've never seen herbivores doing it in all my years on a farm, so I wonder what that's got to do with it???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts