Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Basil his coat was white, she had some tan ticking and that was that, His coat was straightforward, Olive on the other hand ... I am not even sure what colour sable she is! At first I thought she may be a fawn Sable, but maybe now I am thinking she could be a red sable, in her coat I see white, cream, fawn and red and sabling from light brown through to black, in some lights some of her sabling even looks blue, although she has a black nose so that can't be the case. I am confident she is double coated, she has a thick, fuzzy undercoat which will be interesting to see how it grows in after she blows it.

So I guess I am just after your opinions on her coat, what colour would you call her and how do you guess she will mature? Is there any way to tell if she will retain any of her sabling into adult hood?

Disclaimer; Please don't get me wrong my girl is going to be divine however she grows up - this post certainly isn't about that, just inviting those more experienced in sables to share the fun of the guessing game :)

1403211365259.jpg

1403211405459.jpg

1403211426197.jpg

1403211465601.jpg

1403211562107.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I'd say red sable. Kendall is a sable also. She has retained only a bit of her sabling on her back and her tail. As a puppy she was a poof ball, I would've assumed safely double coated, but now her fur is just thick and long, not poofy. Here's some pics of her then and now

ImageUploadedByPG Free1403212347.363301.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1403212392.773702.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1403212567.251179.jpg

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say red sable. Kendall is a sable also. She has retained only a bit of her sabling on her back and her tail. As a puppy she was a poof ball, I would've assumed safely double coated, but now her fur is just thick and long, not poofy. Here's some pics of her then and now

View attachment 50281

View attachment 50289

View attachment 50297

OH MY GOSH SHE LOOKED LIKE A LITTLE BEAR AS A PUPPY! 💗 So so fluffy, How adorable both as a pup and all grown up : )

There is such a difference in puppy and adult sable coats, I had no idea till we bought her home and did some research. I think it's really exciting, is that super sad?!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
OH MY GOSH SHE LOOKED LIKE A LITTLE BEAR AS A PUPPY! 💗 So so fluffy, How adorable both as a pup and all grown up : )

There is such a difference in puppy and adult sable coats, I had no idea till we bought her home and did some research. I think it's really exciting, is that super sad?!

I know right? I soooo wanted her to stay that way forever. She changed a ton, and I feel like that's so common with sables. But I have to agree with you, it is really exciting! I couldn't be more pleased with how Kendall turned out. Now even more excited to watch Olive grow 😊. She will be stunning, I know it!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think Olive will end up more of a cream/fawn/gold colour. I love the transformation from puppy to adult, Kendall doesn't even look like the same dog, it is amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I think Olive will end up more of a cream/fawn/gold colour. I love the transformation from puppy to adult, Kendall doesn't even look like the same dog, it is amazing.

Tell me about it haha! She looks totally different. She will be 4 in December and her coat has changed even more 😳! She is getting light colors coming through. It's so weird lol. But she has a very beautiful coat. So far longer and thicker than Ava and Brax.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Leo has changed so much too! He's a red sable. I think Olive will end up much lighter, there is a lady who posts in the sungold chihuahua group on Facebook and her chi reminds me of olive when she was a baby. Her chi is to die for, coat lighten a ton and it's gorgeous!
Here is Leo's transformation:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
When do their coats stop growing? x

I have 3 longcoats and my oldest will be 4 this December. Her coat did not get any longer past 2 yrs of age. But the color of her coat continues to change slightly. So I would say that it takes up to 2 yrs for their coats to reach it's full length. However I do think that every chi is different and some may reach their full coat lengths earlier or later than others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody! I see this post has a few years now... But anyways, I got a similar puppy and I don't know what color she is. Could you tell me??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts