Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I don't know how many of you guys saw the thread about Max, my family's 6 year old Chihuahua with serious issues. Well, the aggression and anxiety are only getting worse and he has begun terrorizing both Lilly and Toby. Plus, Lilly and Toby are officially best friends now. It's the cutest thing ever- 35 lb senior citizens meets 4 lb puppy. But Max hates both of them and growls whenever they come close. It's not because of Toby, either- he was doing this long before the puppy came home, ever since he was attacked.

So... after thinking long and hard about what to do, we decided that I am going to take Max with me to law school and Toby is going to stay here with my family. He has lived with my family from the beginning and loves them dearly, especially my sister. And Max and I have always been close (I raised him throughout high school and when I was in college, I went home nearly every weekend to see him).

It's hard because I love Toby dearly, but I know that it is the best thing. My parents and sister will ensure that he is never alone long and that he has a long, healthy, and happy life with his best friend Lilly. And Max will be able to live peacefully as an only dog. Even when I am in law school, I will only be gone 5 hours a day tops so he will still get the attention he needs. And at his age, he is fine sleeping while I am gone, going on one long walk a day and a few shorter potty breaks, and sleeping all night which is more in tune with law school than Toby's high energy.

This is a solution that guarantees that both boys will be able to stay in the family and that Max won't have to be given away to people with no other dogs, which my parents were considering. So I think it is the best decision for everyone, even if it is hard.

PS- I am planning on taking Max to a behavioralist to work on his issues, but there are none within a two hour drive of the extremely rural area I live in now. I have found a few in NC that I am planning on trying out once I move in August. I also want to work on training because I think that will help with his confidence too.

Any advice/ words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
It certainly sounds as if you and thought this through and made the best decision for both Max and Toby. Kudos to you! You and Max will bond even more away from the home but there for each other. You are putting the best interest of the boys above your own feelings, and that is very admirable.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with Deb. That certainly sounds like a very difficult decision to make but probably the best one for both of your boys. I know how hard it is to leave a pet behind for the better. When I left the country and moved out of my dad's to live with my boyfriend in Sweden, I made the difficult decision to leave behind the 8-year-old Chihuahua, Kina, that I had grown up with and had been given official ownership of for the past two years. Kina was "my dog" and I took care of her financially, but she was the family's pet as well. My mom gave her to me when I moved out of her house, because she was always attached to me and I took care of her. Plus my mom had recently got two big dogs that didn't get along well with her, so it was better for her to leave with me and live at my dad's with his cats and my two siblings. Kina grew up with my brother and sister and absolutely loved my Dad after living with him for 2 years, so I didn't want to tear her away from her family just to remain with me. She was the happiest I'd ever seen her living at my dad's. My dad was more than happy to keep her because he loves her like a child. Now she follows him everywhere, sleeps with him, etc. It was so hard for me to leave her, but she's happy where she is and I didn't want to chance making her unhappy by taking her somewhere foreign and new when she's been with that family all of her life.

My situation was obviously different from yours, but it still relates to the heartbreak of having to leave a pet behind. I believe you're doing what's best for both of your dogs from the information you've given us. Just thought it might be comforting to know someone else here has been in your position before. I cried for the first month after I left her, and still do get teary-eyed thinking about her, but she is just as happy as she's ever been, lol. I see her on Skype from time to time and she's always in someone's lap or on someone's bed. All I care is that she is happy, and she definitely is.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
That is a hard decision I had to give up prada and beau due to a break up :( and now I barley see them every couple of months if I'm lucky. I wasn't allowed to have 4 dogs at home we still had the 2 mastiffs and 3 cats at the time. Also my new bf has never had pets before and does not want to have 4 dogs at once :( luckily my new bf is amazing and has no problem with me going over to visit prada and beau at my exs house or to take them for a couple days. I stil think about taking them for a visit and never returning them lol but then I feel bad. I also had to leave Baby-Love at home when I moved away for university it was hard barley got to see her but she was well taken care of by my mom. Luckily you have peace of mind knowing he will be well looked after.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words of encouragement! I do know that this is the best decision for my family, myself, and all three dogs. Max will get to live as an only dog, Toby will get to stay with the family and dog that he loves, and Lilly won't have to be terrified to move anymore. All three will be better off.

It's hard because I am living here until August, so Max and Toby are a bit confused because we are encouraging Max to spend time with me and Toby to spend time with my sister. Hopefully, the confusion will only last a few days.

Parsley'sMommy and Chihuahuasloveme, I agree that it is never easy but it is comforting that you guys were able to do it. Thanks.

Chideb, I definitely have thought this out. It's hard, but it is what's best. Thank you for the kind words.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I don't have any advice as you have thought this through and used much wisdom in your decision. Let me offer my encouragement...great job taking such great care thinking of what is best for all your furkids. I know they will all benefits from the specific choices you made just for them. You always have this forum to come on when you are at school and let us know you are missing your Toby and let us know how Max is doing with you--we all want to know. And don't leave Lilly out of the reports.lol

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some pictures of all three of the babies. I'll definitely be posting on here and keeping everyone updated.

Max:

Lilly:

Toby:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Precious furkids! All very fortunate to have you and your family watching over them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I was so afraid that your post was going to say you were "finding a new
home for Max". I know that is best in some situations, but I can't tell you
how relieved I was with your decision. I know it wasn't easy for you, but
you obviously love them all dearly and you put their needs before your feelings.
I personally think that makes you a wonderful pet owner and a GREAT person.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi good luck with your new decision hopefully max will become more friendlier and the family can be together again

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Oh that is a tough decision but sounds like you have made a good one..Your pups are adorable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ashley, I feel so compelled to respond to this thread. BLESS YOU. You sounds like an amazing young woman with both your dog's best interests at heart. Our family silky terrier Bobby (rescue, we brought him in from an abusive situation when he was two) had issues galore - hated children, the elderly, other dogs, etc. Most people couldn't handle him, but we loved him and wouldn't have traded him for the world. He passed away recently at 11.

ANYWAY, went off topic there for a second. My point was, you're doing the best thing for Max and showing him your love and devotion by sticking it out with him despite his issues. I know for animal lovers like us that might just be an "of course!", but lots of people would have rehomed. Thanks for sticking by your little friend. You're all he knows - you're his world!

I have found training for fun to be a super confidence builder! It gives him one on one time with you and a chance to bond. Teach him everything - high five, roll over, sit, down, shake, speak, dig - and it will give him an outlet for his energy. And keep up with the walks! Doggies need those! I'm a major advocate of dog's getting adequate exercise.

You're doing great. :) Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your responses have all been so sweet. Thank you for support, guys. This is truly a difficult thing to go through but we are all slowly adjusting. I've cried a few times, but I'm getting stronger. And the dogs are all doing well.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update:

Max is doing very well adjusting. He naturally misses my mom but she has been reassuring him that she still loves him and now, when he is scared he runs to me (HUGE for him)! I bought him a new harness, collar, leash, ID tag, a kong, a few stuffed toys, and some other stuff, so he's pretty happy.

Toby has forgotten I exist. He is allll wrapped up in my sister and mom and Lilly. He is so happy.

Also, I started a blog called "Ashley and Max's Journey" in the blog section for those that are interested in keeping up with our adventure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts