Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I become frustrated by the high demand of chihuahuas here in the USA which is making them harder to find.
About a month ago, I found one at the local shelter that was adopted almost immediatly. Said they get in a chihuahua every couple of months that gets adopted immediatly.
Come fast if you want one they said.

Most of them are found hours away and require road trips to go check out. Which makes it difficult to visit and choose one with all the road trips this seems to require.
All I found browsing today was more wanted ads for chihuahuas.
I guess it's a good thing for the chihuahuas, but still frustrating for me.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Perhaps you might look into some quality breeders then? There is nothing wrong with buying a dog if the right one for you isn't in rescue. And they are not always puppies -- sometimes breeders have retiring females available as well as older puppies who didn't pan out for the show ring.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Wow! Most areas in the US that I know of are always full of Chihuahuas or Chi/mixes. Could you possibly search to see if there is a Chihuahua rescue in another area near you?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't think you are looking in the right place. I live in TN and we are over-loaded with them here. I had one stray chi come to my doorstep last summer and posted an add in the paper to find a good home. Had 100 people come & wanted it. Back yard Breeders are being arrested here in TN & KY for hoarding 100's of chis.
I definitely would look into chi rescue websites. They're everywhere & there are many chis on their that need homes. You might have to drive or maybe you can make arrangements to meet halfway or something.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't think you are looking in the right place. I live in TN and we are over-loaded with them here. I had one stray chi come to my doorstep last summer and posted an add in the paper to find a good home. Had 100 people come & wanted it. Back yard Breeders are being arrested here in TN & KY for hoarding 100's of chis.
I definitely would look into chi rescue websites. They're everywhere & there are many chis on their that need homes. You might have to drive or maybe you can make arrangements to meet halfway or something.
It's the same way here in Western Kentucky. In fact, I can log onto Petfinder at any given time and find at least 10 Chis and who knows how many Chi mixes at the local shelters and rescues...And that's just within a 25 mile radius!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
When I was looking, it was a bunch of road trip to visit breeders, etc. It is like that with anything. I just viewed it as necessary. It was what I had to do, considering the commitment it would be.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I become frustrated by the high demand of chihuahuas here in the USA which is making them harder to find.
About a month ago, I found one at the local shelter that was adopted almost immediatly. Said they get in a chihuahua every couple of months that gets adopted immediatly.
Come fast if you want one they said.

Most of them are found hours away and require road trips to go check out. Which makes it difficult to visit and choose one with all the road trips this seems to require.
All I found browsing today was more wanted ads for chihuahuas.
I guess it's a good thing for the chihuahuas, but still frustrating for me.
You live in VERMONT...isn't everything hours away ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts