Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we rescued an outdoor dog - 3/4 Great Pyrenees and 1/4 border collie. He's amazing - gentle, calm and HUGE. He'll be a year old next month and weighs 90 lbs, and with his hair, he looks like a big old bear lumbering across the yard. He was surrendered because the owners didn't have time for him, kept him on a chain all the time and we don't think he saw much attention from anyone. We have a huge back yard, fenced in, and I saw no reason not to take him in - his name is Gunner.

Gunner absolutely loves the Chis, but they are behaving terribly. (They go out back to potty, and normally spend alot of time outside with us during the day when it's not too hot.) Diesel is the worse - all 2 lbs 10 ozs of him. The first thing he did was snap poor Gunner on the nose, and now he's chasing him all over the yard, snapping like a turtle. The good news is he is too small to do any damage, and poor Gunner seems to see potential in him and just wants to be his friend. If Diesel gets too aggressive, Gunner just puts his paw on Diesel and lays down in front of him with his paw on him so he can't move.

Gracie is doing pretty well, she considers Diesel her 'protector', even though Diesel could be eaten in one bite. I DID finally hear the "Chihuahua scream of death" from her 3 times when they were first introduced. It scared us all to death. My son said "What in the world was that?" (She was the one I was worried about the most!)

Pedro is being his usual grumpy self - bless his heart, I really think he needs to be medicated with a happy pill. If Gunner comes near me, Pedro attacks. He is okay with him coming near my husband.

Meanwhile, poor huge Gunner is running from all of them. Needless to say, the motley crew isn't hanging out outside as much as they would like, just to give Gunner some peace.

Should I just let them fight it out? Gunner isn't going to hurt Diesel - it's like he knows how tiny he is and he's no more of an irritant to him than a gnat. He does growl back at Pedro, but ultimately runs. My husband and I are driving ourselves insane trying to make everyone get along. Should we just make sure they are supervised and let them sort it out on their own? I know he's a big dog, but I cannot describe to you how gentle this guy is.

Any thoughts on surviving this pack integration with our sanity in tact?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If it were me I would put a chi and gunner outside daily and let them learn to get along. Go inside watch from the door just in case.
Or you can do what I did with Bijoux, she's afraid of dogs so when I took her to the dog park she would run but if a dog did manage to get to close she would mouth at them. -Mouth open, move slightly forward, forget to close mouth- But I would firmly tap her side and say 'NO' every time she did this. Tolerating it is the same as encouraging it in my book. So now she no longer ever does it. I always said "Bijoux doesn't have to like being around other dogs but she does have to tolerate them" She is also slowly getting more social with dogs, she even sniffed one the other day. This worked for my girl maybe it wil work if you separate your pack and go at it one by one?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am so happy to hear Gunner has a home with you guys.. Bless you for helping him, and please post some pics of the big boy.
We, too, have a 90 pounder in the back yard~ our "Bear." When we let the chis our there with him we make sure both of us are in the yard watching them. He would never try to hurt one of them, but he has accidentally stepped on them when they get under his feet. They like Bear since he came here as an 8 week old puppy and was raised in the house with them until he got too big to stay indoors all the time, so they have never had to go thru what your little ones are experiencing with the a "new" big kid on the block. Of course, being chis, they naturally think they own the yard and try to bluff Bear with their superiority complex..;) So, we keep a close eye on them when they are all together.

Bear

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I think letting them work it out under your supervision would be the best. It may take a while. How about walking them together? I've seen this used on shows on tv, they learn to be nicer together by bonding on long walks. I have a bit of a problem too with Pepe and Chumley and Bouncer. Pepe thinks he is king of the dog room even though he is the last one rescued. He "yells" at them (hard to describe, it's not barking and it's not growling, somewhere in between) all the time. When Bouncer gets tired of it he woofs at him and he will stop for a while. Bouncer is so very gentle with the chis, I have no fear he would hurt them. Chumley just puts up with it. Chumley and him also play a lot and sleep together, so I am at a loss why he is so vocal with him. He's going in to be fixed tomorrow, I am hoping this behavior will then stop. He also gives the 'chihuahua scream of death' if I do not let him sleep on my lap fast enough. lol Little spoiled dog.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses! At least I don't feel like I'm the only one with 'problem children'. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but most of our free time has been spent trying to integrate the big kid into the pack. We're making a little headway, but I'm not sure a non-Chihuahua person would have a clue what we are up against! I knew they had attitude, but goodness, I didn't know they were so stubborn and unyielding.

We've made a bit of progress.

Pedro is steering clear of Gunner, and growling. He's slowed down on the full blown attacks since Gunner put him in his place and gave him a bit of it right back.

Diesel alternates between loving Gunner and hating Gunner...You can tell he really wants to be his friend, but he relies too much on the reaction of the other two little hoodlums.

Gracie is startled everytime Gunner moves fast, and she reacts by chasing him.

We do not allow them to be unsupervised for one second, but I sure thought this would be easier than it is. Pedro accepted Gracie and Diesel without any problems. It's the intimidation factor of the bigger dog, I guess, combined with the fact that these three think they are as big as Gunner!

Baby steps, I guess...It's just a bit chaotic right now. (We have to force Pedro to go outside.)

Maybe one on one is the best way to work this out, mooberry. We'll give that a try tomorrow evening - everyone is settled in for the night now. But it does make sense that if they can't stick together, they can't gang up on poor Gunner. (I know Gunner has to think Diesel is some sort of bizarre little hairy snapping turtle...)

chideb, Bear is gorgeous. I'm hoping that with Gunner being so young, they'll eventually realize he just wants to play and let him in the fold.

Here are a couple of pics of him:

svdreamer, Gunner has been chained all his life, so he doesn't do well on a leash. We're working on that, so hopefully that is something we can do in the near future. He has almost dislocated my arm every time I've tried so far! He's very strong, and very energetic, and I'm used to have a 2 - 10 pounder on the end of a leash! It's probably quite comical to see!

We're having to really work on his socialization skills, and rethink some of the Chi's personality faults and work on them a bit. It's like starting all over with all 4 of them. Everyone seems to have temporarily (I hope) lost their minds!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow is he beautiful ~ you can see he just appreciates everything. Mom and Dad always let ours work it out. I never had dog/ dog issues I did have abused dog/ child issues so I am really no help but for knowing ~ Mom and Dad made many enemies friends while I was growing up, just supervising and allowing time to do it's thing. They never had an incident when it didn't work.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh, I love the pics.. Gunner is such a handsome fella!
This may not work for your guys since Gunner has been "chained" grrrr.. that makes me furious! He may not be into toys.. But my guys like to play tug of war with Bear.. We made our own rope toy (longer than the ones you buy, so the chis aren't right up under Bear's front feet, lol) Bear gets one end at the knot, and the chis will gang up 2 or 3 together on the other end, and he pulls them around the yard.. It is so funny to see! Then hubby tells Bear to leave it, and he drops his end of the rope and the silly little guys think they have defeated the giant! We learned quickly not to throw a ball or frisbee for them to retrieve together, as that is how the chis got stepped on.. Bear's "brakes" aren't quick enough when they run under him to steal a ball.

·
Registered
801 Posts
He is beautiful and he looks like a such a loving soul. I'm so glad you saved
him! I'm sure the family dynamic will work out, it just takes time. I would
try to allow them to discover their own boundaries with supervision as long
as no one is in danger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.