Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't know a lot about it. I was talking to a breeder about it yesterday and she said she was all for it. She said it will help with people being banned from one organization (like AKC) from breeding dogs and registering them in another organization. Mainly is targets back yard breeders and people who abuse the dogs they breed. I hope she is right b/c something needs to be done.

What do you think of it?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Well, it sounds like a good idea to me if that's what it's all about :) Anything that helps prevent back yard breeders and puppymills and stuff. It's about time someone does something about this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nikki&paris said:
I don't know a lot about it. I was talking to a breeder about it yesterday and she said she was all for it. She said it will help with people being banned from one organization (like AKC) from breeding dogs and registering them in another organization. Mainly is targets back yard breeders and people who abuse the dogs they breed. I hope she is right b/c something needs to be done.

What do you think of it?
Well actually the BYBers wont be affected. The ones who breed fluffy to buffy just to have Christmas puppies wont be affected at all. As a matter of fact as long as you whelp under 6 litters a year you wont be affected.
As for registries that is of no concern. I know lots of show breeders this will impact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KJsChihuahuas said:
All for it!! It wont effect me however I only have about 3 litters a years if that :)
Hi Lori.I like the part of this legislation concerning rescues and imports the best. I too am a small breeder who this will not affect.

BTW. I just learned alot of dogs are imported for resale. Why? Because they are cheaper than American bred. That aint right. And the rescues/shelters such as Sav-A-Sato are importing dogs puppies/mixed breeds at that, that are selling for astonomical prices.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well a breeder can have 25 pups a year, with a chi without any hassles at all. With Chi's that's a lot of litters. I hate the fact that dog breeding has to be regulated but there are too many unscrupulous people out there so this is not a bad regulation at all.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Tinker said:
Well a breeder can have 25 pups a year, with a chi without any hassles at all. With Chi's that's a lot of litters. I hate the fact that dog breeding has to be regulated but there are too many unscrupulous people out there so this is not a bad regulation at all.
I have heard about this bill, and I'm all for it. I don't think it goes far enough, but I guess we take what we can get. I'd just like to see the puppy mills closed down, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime, if ever.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'd like to see them shut down too but any legislation that nails them also hurts show breeders and that's basically why the AKC is endorcing this bill, it's the best compromise anyone has come up with yet. It's certainly far from perfect and maybe in the future someone will think of an improvement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get ready for it. It is coming. The commercial breeders arent against it...why should they be? They are already regulated by USDA.
If you breed (or plan to) 7 litters OR 26 puppies per year you are classified as a high volume breeder. Will this change to 3 litters OR 10 puppies per year? Time will tell. It always does. My vote would be YES it will. Now on the other hand there will be NO unregulated high volume breeders. (7 litters or more) Rescues cannot rescue and resale the rescued dogs/puppies. Importing will be almost impossible without a license. There you have it guys. The future of dog breeders/rescuers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts