Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you consider Chihuahuas the perfect breed for you?, or is it just that you love them!!:D

Im researching my next puppy and put alot of emphasis on getting a dog breed that is perfect for my lifestyle. I want a small dog, fairly easy to train (so can be trained to have a good recall, sit, etc but not need agility/obedience everyday to be happy), will get on well with my current pack and the cats, will happily be a couch potato or an athlete depending on the day, has minimal grooming needs, and doesnt suffer any health problems to any great degree (so nothing that will have a high chance of genetic disease or will suffer badly in hot weather).

Try as I might to get away from Chi's I keep coming back to them as the breed that ticks all the boxes!! Not that Im complaining, just wondering if they are so perfect coz my life is such a good match or because Chi's are such versatile little dogs. What do you think??:confused:

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I think they are perfect for me. And they aren't the only breed I have or have had in the past.
I will not have anything else i don't think. They are loving, smart, easy to clean, great guard dogs, and very inexpensive to keep * no need to go to groomer and don't eat much*, small enough to sneak in a bag and take into non pet friendly places, small enough to have many in your bed, small enough to take all of them in the car with you, and if that's not enough.... they can be very stylish with all the cute clothes for them!:coolwink:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Love my 2 chis also love my sheltie,can't put him in dresses (i don't the chis either ) but he is loving,gentle,and beautiful.Needs longer walks than the chis ,more brushing.So if i couldn't have a chi it would have to be a sheltie

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
For me the perfect breed is the Basenji, because I love a challenge.
And they are by far the wildest and most stubborn breed out there.
Not to mention they demand an insane amount of exercise.
They are not for everyone, especially novice owners.

However a Chi complements our pack very well.
Chihuahuas are so easy to train and are so eager to please.
Chanel is a refreshing change after a day with crazy, wild hunting dogs.

I would be more than happy to be a Chihuahua and Basenji owner for the
rest of my days. The two breeds are complete opposites, but yet I'm drawn to both.

In reality all dogs are awesome, all can be your best friend. And I think no
matter the breed you get, you make a bond and you think your dog is the
absolute best, purebred or mutt. But Chihuahuas are definitely very easy
to care for and are extremely easy to love, they just live to make you happy.

I thought of a Pug for you, but then you mention extreme heat,
then I thought of a MinPin, but then you don't want a dog that
is too active, then I thought a Maltese has a perfect personality
for you, but you don't want to groom much...it's tough!

Have you considered a small dog from a rescue? Perhaps even a mix?

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Stick with the chis!! :)
They are the best breed IMO!!!! And I forgot to mention one great thing about them is no gross doggy body odor. Some breeds are def. more prone to stinkiness *(hounds)* and seem to have odor no matter how often they are bathed.
I do love most all dogs though and truly am a "Dog person" but I personally don't want any other breed. Well I would consider a whippet or Italian greyhound... ;)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Stick with the chis!! :)
They are the best breed IMO!!!! And I forgot to mention one great thing about them is no gross doggy body odor. Some breeds are def. more prone to stinkiness *(hounds)* and seem to have odor no matter how often they are bathed.
I do love most all dogs though and truly am a "Dog person" but I personally don't want any other breed. Well I would consider a whippet or Italian greyhound... ;)
Not ALL hounds!!!
The Basenji has no doggie odor whatsoever, they also practically do not shed,
and they clean themselves like cats. There is no cleaner breed, they are
extremely fastidious. So don't be hating on the hounds missy! ;)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For me I'm on team Chinese Crested with Katie. I was actually going to get one instead of Bijoux but the breeder actually turned out to be a greeder so it was heart breaking but we had to walk away : ( The two are very similar I find, so for me they are equal footing. I also love bully breeds, but I don't have they yard for them...I actually don't think I'll ever have the same breed more than once...I nearly forgot Schnauzers I would have gotten a mini except i'm in an apartment and they tend to be very barky dogs

My next dog will be a CC, all I have to do is figure out if I was a powderpuff or a hairless -choices choices haha

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
..I actually don't think I'll ever have the same breed more than once...

I think I know how you feel.
I had a Pug and a Pom before, I thought they were my favorite breeds
and I will never get any other breed. Once they passed, first Pug, then
a few years later my Pom, I could not even look at another dog of the
same breed without crying. It has been years since Boss(Pug) died, yet
I still get nostalgic seeing a fawn Pug. And it has almost been a year
since Kissa(Pom) died, and I just can not even think about getting a
Pom again. It is not the same you know? No one will replace your special
pal, even though they may look so similar. I love Bully breeds too, our
rescues & shelters are 70% Pits or Pit mixes, hubby & I talk about maybe
adopting two or three later on, after our boys.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Not ALL hounds!!!
The Basenji has no doggie odor whatsoever, they also practically do not shed,
and they clean themselves like cats. There is no cleaner breed, they are
extremely fastidious. So don't be hating on the hounds missy! ;)
I didn't know basenji's were hounds. Well the hounds i've had experience with had D.O :laughing8: even lucy has D.O and even right after she's bathed. When she goes outside she gets stinkier. For that reason i'll never have another hound.
I'm sure your basenji's smell faboooo!! :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
For me I'm on team Chinese Crested with Katie. I was actually going to get one instead of Bijoux but the breeder actually turned out to be a greeder so it was heart breaking but we had to walk away : ( The two are very similar I find, so for me they are equal footing. I also love bully breeds, but I don't have they yard for them...I actually don't think I'll ever have the same breed more than once...I nearly forgot Schnauzers I would have gotten a mini except i'm in an apartment and they tend to be very barky dogs

My next dog will be a CC, all I have to do is figure out if I was a powderpuff or a hairless -choices choices haha
I like them too!! :)
These kind are my fave. Can you say Sex-eeee!!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I love my Lulu more than any thing in the world, but if I could change anything about her it would be that she sheds. Other than that I can't think of anythink right now. I do love my parent's Maltese. She absolutely never sheds nor does she ever have any odor, but she does have to go to the groomer. It doesn't matter because my husband says we will never have anything but chihuahuas!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Chihuahua is definitely the perfect breed for me, and my lifestyle. I'm very allergic to dogs, but Odie doesn't make me break out in hives and run for my inhaler. She even sleeps in my bed! I also love chihuahuas because of their "convenient" size, sassy attitude, and easy care. I've also never met a quieter dog than Odie, although I'm sure that's not true of all chihuahuas. Of course, I would love any breed of dog I had, but I just can't fathom that there's any breed that's better (for me) than a chihuahua.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.