Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what an acceptable price is for a Chi. My friend John paid around 500 for each of his Chi babies (he has three) and I can't exactly afford that. I want a chi so badly, so i'm wondering how much everyone paid for their babies.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Have you looked at chi rescues and/or shelters? You can get a wonderful little dog there for a cheaper price and you would be saving a life in the process.

Go to petfinder.com and put in your zip code and you will see how many chis need homes. Perhaps one of them will steal your heart.... and save your wallet in the process. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you looked at chi rescues and/or shelters? You can get a wonderful little dog there for a cheaper price and you would be saving a life in the process.

Go to petfinder.com and put in your zip code and you will see how many chis need homes. Perhaps one of them will steal your heart.... and save your wallet in the process. :)
This is 100% on the money and exactly what I was going to say. Zippy is a shelter dog and you wouldn't be able to find a better pet (or friend!) anywhere. A healthy adult dog should run you $150-$250 from most reputable not-for-profit shelters and you will go home with a neutered/spayed pet that is up to date on all shots. A true bargain if you add up all the costs! (A senior pet, like Zippy, can often be found at significantly reduced fees as well.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I am currently looking into a Chi rescue that has all of their Chi babies in foster homes. Plus our animal control has something like 100 chi's just sitting there waiting for homes.

Some people prefer getting animals from breeders, but who can afford it these days? Plus saving a life is always worth the cost, right? :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I am currently looking into a Chi rescue that has all of their Chi babies in foster homes. Plus our animal control has something like 100 chi's just sitting there waiting for homes.

Some people prefer getting animals from breeders, but who can afford it these days? Plus saving a life is always worth the cost, right? :)
Hurrah! I was just looking through the Petfinder listings for adoptable Chihuahuas in Arizona and there are a TON of beautiful looking dogs to choose from. I don't know how you could pick just one! Good luck and let us know how everything goes. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know! I'm sitting here totally in love with like 10 chihuahuas!!!!!!!!!

Once I officially start the hunt for my own baby (have to wait till the apartment is dog proof and I have the money to adopt) I will let everyone know how the process is going. RIght now I just like to torture myself by checking out this forum and any chihuahua related site....well mostly this forum. I love the pictures!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well don't make the mistake I did and fall in love at first sight. Dixie had a hernia and may have already had the giardia when I bought her. She was a few days short of 6 weeks which is way too early. Now, I have raised dogs at 6 weeks on my own but not as tiny and fragile as a chi. Have your pup checked out. I'm glad Dixie came to me and not to someone else who may or may not have taken care of her. We love her so much and will do everything we have to to keep her happy and healthy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dixie- Most of the ones i am looking at are in foster homes, so any medical problem they have hopefully their foster parents will know of before I adopt. I do plan on getting the dog checked out at the vet too.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A rescue chi is a fantastic idea.

You can look around and get a cheap chihuahua anywhere, but the potential health problems you face on the long run due to poor breeding, etc. can be very expensive.

I paid $150 for my girl who is now 2.5yrs, and $190 for my boy, almost 1yr. Chihuahuas are just overbred here. They aren't to standard and I don't have any health problems as of yet, but there is always a chance for something to crop up. Gretel came from a friend, and Godric a "breeder" I wasn't an educated buyer, but both of mine are altered so there will be no reproducing! Another $90 for each to have surgery!

Good for you being responsible, it'll be very wise to make sure you have a bundle saved up in case god forbid they get ill, it adds up quick. When I bought Godric, he came to me with worms and a couple other tummy problems which added up fast with all his medications. Gretel suffers from allergies and respiratory infections so that is even more money going out, plus the heartworm preventative is $20 every 3 months - it comes up fast!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I want to reinforce what Amanda said. The expense of owning a dog goes way beyond the initial purchase, if you're going to be a responsible pet owner. Even if they come to you with their shots up to date and spayed or neutered and no undisclosed acute health issues (which is typically the case if you adopted from a reputable rescue) You still have yearly and/or maintenance costs; shots, heartworm check and medication, fecal, yearly exam. The breed is not known for great dental health, so if you want your chi to keep all its teeth for as long as possible, you're likely going have to do yearly dentals, even IF you take the time for regular dental hygiene...brushing, scraping etc. Few of us have been able to manage having a chi with the Brody-Teeth look, in spite of LOTS of trying (raises hand.) ;) We can be thankful the breed is small, because the really good quality food which we all recommend is EXPENSIVE!

It isn't my intention to scare you or put you off, but whenever I hear anyone talking about needing to raise the money to get a chi, I worry that the person doesn't have a realistic expectation of the additional, routine costs, not even to mention those emergency runs to the vet because our dog is presenting with symptoms that freak us out and we HAVE to know they're OK (raises hand again.)

Both mine are rescues and they cost a bundle in Vet bills initially because they both came to me with undisclosed health issues. Please note though, that I didn't get either of them through a reputable rescue organization. If I had, all but one of those issues I'm certain would have been found and taken care of before they were ever deemed adoptable.

All that said, I'm glad you're going the rescue route. There's something very gratifying knowing that you're providing a home and loving care to a helpless creature that someone else cast off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would definitely take heed to what Tink has said. I think that, at any time, a dog owner should be prepared for an emergency, because you never know when or if it is going to happen (knock on wood!) And this goes for both bred dogs and shelter dogs...maybe even shelter dogs more so bc you don't know what kind of unhealthy situation they were in prior to their rescue.

I paid 850 and 600 for mine, respectively, but they have cost me THOUSANDS and thousands more than that ever since! And are worth every penny! :hello1:
My first one was from an extrememly reputable and amazing breeder.
The second was from a backyard breeder who I knew better than to buy from and financially support but I essentially ended up "rescuing" her from her horrible situation (basic issues = neglected puppies, untreated mange and ringworm, fading puppy syndrome that wasn't monitored (half the pups died), abuse...) yet still had to pay for her...ugh.

At this point, I love them both so much and have no regrets. But I would definitely encourage doing your hw, and love the idea that you are thinking of a rescue :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks so much for rescuing a little one. 100 Chis in the shelters? That's horrifying. If you can get your Chi through an organization that fosters little ones before they're adopted, you may have a better chance of finding a healthy, well-adjusted new member of your family. Most of us who foster (I have two fosters right now) are very dedicated and treat our fosters just like our own or even better! I also provide an honest assessment of the foster--her good points, her challenges. You will pay a little more from a rescue organization that a shelter, but it may be worth the cost. Then again, Finn is my angel Chi--and he was directly from a shelter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tink and Chimama- I forgot to mention that I have a decent (I can eat, pay bills and play) income ,so vet bills and the like wont be a problem. The money saving up is really my boyfriends way of stalling the inevitable. And yes, I am worried about the initial cost because I like having extra money around in case something bad happens. What if I see two Chi's in a bad situation and decide to get both or the Chi I get isn't spayed/neutered. Things like that. I'm a very cautious college student and I say i'm broke so I don't go on shopping sprees to the mall.

I should have said all that in the beginning though. DOH... I feel dumb today.

Finn- Yeah, I called them yesterday asking about the amount of Chi's that come and go. They said most of the time they get 50-100 dropped off and then other rescue organizations that are no-kill come and take them. She was saying that its how most of their dogs live so long. There are several rescue organizations here in Phoenix that go to the shelter and animal control and take a bunch of animals and foster them out. I thought it was pretty cool, but I wonder how they afford it all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tink and Chimama- I forgot to mention that I have a decent (I can eat, pay bills and play) income ,so vet bills and the like wont be a problem. The money saving up is really my boyfriends way of stalling the inevitable. And yes, I am worried about the initial cost because I like having extra money around in case something bad happens. What if I see two Chi's in a bad situation and decide to get both or the Chi I get isn't spayed/neutered. Things like that. I'm a very cautious college student and I say i'm broke so I don't go on shopping sprees to the mall.

I should have said all that in the beginning though. DOH... I feel dumb today.

Oh, no worries! I was not implying at all that you yourself couldn't or shouldn't afford one! Trust me, I struggle to get by on my bills most of the time! ugh... But I do have multiple credit cards, a care credit card, ASPCA pet insurance, and family members who I know would spot me money in an emerg. I bought my second chi on my credit card actually and am still paying it off :p

I just meant people in general who think they can "afford" a dog just bc they can pay the adoption fee... and little do they realize!

I would encourage anyone to adopt a dog because they fall in love with it, and not because of the financial aspect. if you fell in love with a 800 breeder pup, go for it... or a 150 rescue pup, go for that! The only thing I wouldn't recommend going for is paying a backyard breeder for a poor quality puppy because that money then supports the "breeder" to continue doing what they are doing, which is sad... However, saying this is also me being a hypocrite bc I did this very thing when I adopted heidi! EEEK!

So just use your best judgment and your heart, and I know you'll make the right choice. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ChiMama- I agree! I think the cost after the adoption fee is one of the reasons behind bringing back a dog. My mom adopted this Rottie/GSD mix about 9 years ago. He had a broken leg, broken jaw and was terribly underweight. His litter had been thrown out of a moving car on a major highway. He was sooooo clingy after she brought him home. Actually he still is LOL.

That dog has costs my mom thousands of dollars, but to her the cost was worth it. Right now he has Valley Fever and the meds are like 50 bucks a month! So yeah, I would do that for any dog I loved.

I've never seen a backyard breeder before, but from what i've read from other peoples posts/websites there is some signs that I should be aware of. Those people should go to jail IMO.

When I started the search for the perfect dog for me, my friend John suggested Chihuahua and since he has three I got to really spend a lot of time with him and his Chi babies. I liked how silly and fun loving they were. I've always heard that Chihuahuas are snappy mean little ankle biters and it was refreshing to see that his Chi's were not. They're all very friendly to strangers, give kisses freely and love to be held. I fell inlove with two of his Chi's (not to say I didn't adore the third one). An apple headed brown and white one named Mouse who is TINY TINY TINY! And his only male named Gus who has a deer shaped head and long legs. Mouse came from a breeder but I don't know about Gus. I think he was a rescue since he mentioned Gus hadn't had any human contact till he got him. I ended up googling anything and everything about Chihuahuas... And now i'm here reading every post and asking questions. I kind of feel like a stalker!

·
Registered
164 Posts
hehe, well you are def not a stalker, just a smart dog mama who wants to do her research...and where better than to get info but places like here!!! :)

If you ever have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I have two chis...a five year-old and a ten month-old. Both long haired. Halle, the older chi, is 4 lb, orange and white. Heidi is 3 lb and tri-colored. Both have very different personalities, but both are super loving and would never ever bite anyone. Anyone can take them right out of my arms or lap or touch their food, bathe them, brush them, cut nails, go through vet appts...all without fear of them biting!!!

I knew how important it was, however, to start this kind of training with them right from the beginning (got them both at 8 wk old)...you need to socialize, socialize, socialize when it comes to tiny dogs who are more prone to developing Napolean complexes out of sheer fear or bravado!

I was also a vet tech for 6 years, so had a little bit of experience of the breed before I got my own, but honestly, a lot of the experience I had had previously was negative, as many of the chis who came through our office were scary and mean! haha

:)
Welcome to the forum, either way, and good luck again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you ever have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I have two chis...a five year-old and a ten month-old. Both long haired. Halle, the older chi, is 4 lb, orange and white. Heidi is 3 lb and tri-colored. Both have very different personalities, but both are super loving and would never ever bite anyone. Anyone can take them right out of my arms or lap or touch their food, bathe them, brush them, cut nails, go through vet appts...all without fear of them biting!!!

I knew how important it was, however, to start this kind of training with them right from the beginning (got them both at 8 wk old)...you need to socialize, socialize, socialize when it comes to tiny dogs who are more prone to developing Napolean complexes out of sheer fear or bravado!
Thank you so much! Everyone here has been so nice that it's really made this whole experience more special to me.

I've read some mixed (some good, some not so good) reviews about Chihuahua temperament. It gets a little confusing but it seems a lot of the people on this forum have very similar Chis. I.E they are super affectionate and sweet. Which is what i would like to have.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Though you can definitely find some well-rounded rescues; it'll definitely be to your advantage to get a puppy if you want a very specific type of temperament.

If they're socialized very well, and exposed to a lot at a young age, you'll get the very friendly sweet pup that you want. **Edit, I just wanted to also side not that it's never a guarantee lol; genetics DO play a role to some extent, but early socializing definitely plays a huge part)**

Kahlua is my pride and joy and my ambassador for the breed; I got her as a pup and took her EVERYWHERE, did EVERYTHING with her, took her to parties, bars (yes bars) and made sure she was always safe and that everything was a positive experience. Now, she's the most affectionate, cuddly snuggle bug that has changed SO many people's minds of what a chihuahua is like, since they're used to the shy snippy stereotype. I always tell everyone that it does take effort though! If you're interested, I wrote a few pages about socializing and handling excersizes I could PM you. It's part of the booklet I wrote up about dog care that I gave away with each of Eleanors puppies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Though you can definitely find some well-rounded rescues; it'll definitely be to your advantage to get a puppy if you want a very specific type of temperament.

If they're socialized very well, and exposed to a lot at a young age, you'll get the very friendly sweet pup that you want. **Edit, I just wanted to also side not that it's never a guarantee lol; genetics DO play a role to some extent, but early socializing definitely plays a huge part)**

Kahlua is my pride and joy and my ambassador for the breed; I got her as a pup and took her EVERYWHERE, did EVERYTHING with her, took her to parties, bars (yes bars) and made sure she was always safe and that everything was a positive experience. Now, she's the most affectionate, cuddly snuggle bug that has changed SO many people's minds of what a chihuahua is like, since they're used to the shy snippy stereotype. I always tell everyone that it does take effort though! If you're interested, I wrote a few pages about socializing and handling excersizes I could PM you. It's part of the booklet I wrote up about dog care that I gave away with each of Eleanors puppies.
I would LOVE that. I also have email if you like. :)

I wanted to take my future chi with me everywhere too. I go a lot of places and the idea of leaving a dog at home alone for an uncertain amount of time makes me worry. I know people do it every day and have little to no problem doing it, but having a Chi would open up a whole new realm of possibilities. I do camp and hike, but I could always get a doggy backpack. I also never hike in the summer... Az summers are not hiking or camping friendly. I'm a fairly active person. Not like the jogging type that runs 20 miles each day, but the type that does go out a lot..... Mostly to socialize (Us humans need socialization too!!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts