Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear of this happening all of the time. I know she should have had the pup in the small dog area but even so I still hear about people bringing the large dogs into the small dog areas all the time. Just goes to show that no matter how well someone including ourselves think we know our dogs, anything can happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNij3ftX2P4&feature=related

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
OMG my heart goes out to the owners and there little pom R.I.P little one

we went to the park the other day with my lot and there was a dog there who was herding mine it was terrible as my children were terrified and so was i
my guys were on there leads and this dogs seemed to be abandoned

that has put me off going to parks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have taken mine to the park a few times. I always take my two to the appropriate size area for them. If someone brought a large dog in the small side while I was in there I would definitely have not problems approaching the owners and telling them they need to move their dog to the appropriately designated section of the park.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have friends that had their Yorkie's in the small section of the park and a guy came over and let his German Shepherd run in the small area and they told him that the GSD wasnt allowed in that section and he needed to move to the bigger dog area. He told them it was a free country and wouldnt leave, it ended up ruining their trip. :-(

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have taken mine to the park a few times. I always take my two to the appropriate size area for them. If someone brought a large dog in the small side while I was in there I would definitely have not problems approaching the owners and telling them they need to move their dog to the appropriately designated section of the park.
It would depend on my mood. lol Some days I might and other days I would just leave, but would emote a LOT while leaving; all the while grumbling LOUDLY about rude people not following the rules.

I just don't take the dogs to many public places because of disease.

3,132 Posts
I feel horrible for the little pom! However... I am sorry, but she SHOULD have read the signs. Its not the dogs fault or the dogs owner's fault... its the fault of the little dog's owner for not reading the signs and putting her dog in the correct park. Don't get me wrong, its horrible and traumatic.... but I can't help but blame the small dog's owner for not being more aware. If your going to take your SMALL dog to the "all dog" side, then at least have the common sense to keep it leashed! Sorry if I offend anyone... JMHO

I've never taken Bailey to anything like this, mainly because we have nothing like it here. But I know that if I did ever take him to something like that, I would make sure there was a place for small dogs only, or we would leave. Same thing when I take Bailey to any pet store and let him walk, I am ALWAYS scanning the area for threats.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well I have a tendency not to keep my mouth shut (sometimes I think hubby wishes I did LOL).
If someone came in the park with their large breed on the wrong side and told me it was a free country. I would say yes sir it most certainly is but in this free country there are still rules, one of which is posted on the gate you just entered....do we need a police officer to come out here and read if for you?

Baileysmom, I agree with you to a certain degree, she did take her dog willingly into the side where large dogs are allowed but I think some of us get a false sense of security thinking all the dogs there MUST be dog friendly or surely their owners would not bring them to a dog park. Maybe that was the way she felt when she entered that section.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LOL! Traci, you sound a lot like me and that is exactly what I would say to as I was calling the police..hehehe.

I have been told that in some cities they really dont enforce the rules at dog parks as they are not laws and only rules? I am not sure how that works but between the diseases they could contract and the hassle of it all I usually just stay away, LOL! I have taken my guys (before I got Chibi) to a dog park in Myrtle Beach, SC while on vacation and mine both came home with a bad stomach bug. There was a watering hole there that the dogs could play in and drink from and although my guys didnt drink from it my dane did wade in it a minute. They both had to go to the Vet and were put on meds and it was no treat cleaning up after them:-( Yuck!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well I have a tendency not to keep my mouth shut (sometimes I think hubby wishes I did LOL).
If someone came in the park with their large breed on the wrong side and told me it was a free country. I would say yes sir it most certainly is but in this free country there are still rules, one of which is posted on the gate you just entered....do we need a police officer to come out here and read if for you?

Baileysmom, I agree with you to a certain degree, she did take her dog willingly into the side where large dogs are allowed but I think some of us get a false sense of security thinking all the dogs there MUST be dog friendly or surely their owners would not bring them to a dog park. Maybe that was the way she felt when she entered that section.
That poor dog.

Me too! I have a cell and will use it. :p

I take mine to Frick Park in Pittsburgh and a few other places. I never would trust any of those dogs to be dog-friendly...and I don't trust Kali not to be a moron either. Little dogs aren't known for being the least dominate out there..

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i went to the dog park once with jamoka 8months and Jemini just 3 moths. this park didn't have little dog area, all the big dogs was following J&J and i left and never went back because it's too risky with all the big dogs and my little guys that DONT know that they are small.

like the chi movie said they are small but mighty lol!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i know she shouldnt have had it on that side, but i still feel that someone (owner) should have been paying close enough attention to the big dog to prevent this from happening. i notice sometimes when people take their children to the park, they sit down and talk to the other parents around them and get completely distracted until one kid comes and tattles on another or until they are screaming and bloody on the ground from falling off of something that they were playing on wrong......i wonder if that was the case here.....too busy talking to anther person to know what their dog was doing.... its so sad.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know if that was the case or not but I know that if I saw this happen to one of my babies, I would be scarred for life:-(

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
We have been fortunate so far at the dog park. Two meetups were all with chis and one yorkie so everyone was really close to the same size. We have gone to our new local dog park twice. I like that they have a section for 15 and under, up to 35 and then 35 and over.

It is definitely a shame what happened to this little fella, I am sure his owners are just beside themselves.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Poor little Pom, sweet dreams baby...

I only take my two out together when my husband or friend/sis is with me. Too many people now have no control over their dogs.
I like National trust properties and similiar for relaxed walking, they are STRICT that all dogs are kept on leash.

Barbara x

3,132 Posts
Good point, I didn't stop to think about that. Like I said, I've never taken Bailey to anything like that, so I don't really know what she might have been thinking. That does make sense, maybe she did think that they would all be friendly.... still though, she had such a tiny, tiny puppy... I don't know why she didn't stop to think that bigger dogs have toys the size of her dog, so why wouldn't they think he was a toy for them? I don't know, its a shame all the way around. Just a good reason to always, always watch your lil babies CLOSELY!

L

·
0 Posts
I agree, although the result was horrible, the dog's owner was responsible for keeping it safe. I don't think I could ever take my dogs to a park and turn them loose. I'm just too much of a protective mom.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
We have a universal dog park up the road. We also have one the other way that has a small side and a big side. My sister takes her beagle mix almost every day as she needs the outlet. I can't tell you how wonderful the people are at the universal dog park. I took Coco once and that was enough for me. Mostly big dogs. Amazing owners. Very aware. Very nice dogs. The only problems caused were by the little, mouthy dogs. Now... the other one that splits them up... mean people. Everybody fighting about which dog goes where. I spent ten minutes, laughed at every one of them and thought to myself "get a life people". I would never go back to that one. It is a definite risk but the minute any dog even remotely acts up in our park, the owner is on it and often will leave. They can get overstimulated there, you know. I have a feeling she was a new dog owner. Any experienced dog owner would not let their 4 month old puppy run free in the all size side. She definitely didn't deserve that but hopefully we can all learn from it. I don't gain enough from the dog park to take mine. I happily go with my sister and socialize with the other people and their dogs.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
(I didn't read the whole thread)

I've taken Boss to the park many times but we usually only go to the dog park if there are no other dogs there. Otherwise we take him to another park on the lower side that is pretty much abandoned of people/other dogs.

Did anyone notice the small dog area is for dogs 30lb. and smaller. A 30lb. dog can do a lot of damage to a 4lb one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts