Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vet just called today with Midgies blood test for what she's allergic to. Way to many things to remember over the phone. So disappointed but happy at the same time to finally know what ails her. I'll have to get a copy. I've had her on a strict diet of The Honest Kitchen Preference alternating between Ground Turkey & Pink Salmon. SHE'S ALLERGIC TO TURKEY! I thought she was allergic to chicken; she's NOT! Allergic to:
peanuts,
soybean
corn
turkey
barley
(can't remember the rest)
Also allergic to 16 different air allergens (I've never even heard most of these names).
Just gave Midgie some THK with ground Turkey this morning (No wonder she's scratching so much)
I told the vet to order her allergy shots. She said it'll take 3-6 weeks as they have to customize the shots to meet Midgies Allergies.
What the heck is going on in our atmosphere that this dog is so allergic to so much as well as me. I'm allergic to everything except dogs! Can you believe that!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can make homemade dog food....google the internet and you shoudl find something their..just read everything but i am glad you found what she is Allergic too...i know Stain balls might be something you can try. it help them put on weigh and sick dogs but i just thought it would work for you until you find a food she can have..good luck and if you find anything please share

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Have you considered a raw diet? The proteins they test for in allergy tests are COOKED proteins. Many dogs are allergic to chicken or turkey in dog foods, which is cooked. However, they can tolerate them perfectly in a raw diet.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as I know several people with great results with allergic dogs on raw.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can make homemade dog food....google the internet and you shoudl find something their..just read everything but i am glad you found what she is Allergic too...i know Stain balls might be something you can try. it help them put on weigh and sick dogs but i just thought it would work for you until you find a food she can have..good luck and if you find anything please share
Googling the internet for homemade dog food recipes could be a disaster. If you are going to cook for your dog, PLEASE consult a canine nutritionist in order for the diet to be balanced. Satin balls (not stain balls) work to put weight on a dog, but they are very high fat and are NOT a long term solution to allergies. There are sooooooo many ingredients in a typical satin ball recipe, that would make allergies WORSE.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I 2nd Brodie's question, have you considered raw? Zoey has allergies to beef/chicken/corn/wheat in cooked/processed form, however she eats chicken & beef in raw form without any problems, in fact her allergies are pretty much non existent now, even her 'inhalent' ones are not as bad (trees/molds etc). I'm just amazed at the difference. It's awesome!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Glad to hear you have gotten to the bottom of her allergies. Now you can better prepare for clearing them up. I need to have testing on Lexie too. Hope your baby is feeling better soon. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Am I just completely oblivious or maybe I got lucky?

I see a lot of people have dogs with lots of allergies but I can't say mine ever shows symptoms of any allergies? Is this uncommon?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would go with the raw, what have you got to loose, if it dosen't work well at least you tried and if it does work you have given little Midgie a lot of relief. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've considered raw & asked my vet about it a while back & she begged me NOT to feed her raw because she can't count how many dogs she treats with Salmonella or Ecoli every year because of raw feeding. The vet is just as surprised as I am as to how much Midgie's allergic to & can't believe that she looks & acts as good as she does. I've been feeding the THK Preference for about a month now & she's not allergic to any of the ingrediants in that. What's funny about this whole situation is the things I thought Midgie was allergic to are the few things she's not like Beef & Chicken. I can't believe it.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Googling the internet for homemade dog food recipes could be a disaster. If you are going to cook for your dog, PLEASE consult a canine nutritionist in order for the diet to be balanced. Satin balls (not stain balls) work to put weight on a dog, but they are very high fat and are NOT a long term solution to allergies. There are sooooooo many ingredients in a typical satin ball recipe, that would make allergies WORSE.
Before I found THK, I started making Midgie home-made dogfood like Turkey meatloaf & she loved it (although I had no idea she's allergic to turkey). But I kept researching making my own food & discovered that I'm not equiped to put the right balance of vitamins & minerals in her food, so I gave up trying to make her food. I am really pleased with THK but I would like to find a dry kibble to leave down for Midgie to eat inbetween THK.

I don't think Midgies under weight. She's a little thin because I've been cut out all treats & she's been eating salmon & turkey. She weighs around 6.8 lbs. Do you think she's under weight? This is why I plan to find a high quality kibble for her to snack on for those days when she's more hungry than others. I've always free fed her until these allergies started.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I say go raw. :)
I must admit I'm surprised to hear that your vet treats so many raw fed dogs for salmonella and ecoli! I did a lot of Internet research and talked to tons of raw feeders and not once did I hear of an instance where a raw fed dog got salmonella or ecoli. Hmmm..... A lot of vets just don't approve of raw feeding. They simply are not educated in nutrition. There are other reasons too, but I won't get into that now. ;)
I'm so happy you found out what shes allergic to. It's hard seeing our babies miserable.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Am I just completely oblivious or maybe I got lucky?

I see a lot of people have dogs with lots of allergies but I can't say mine ever shows symptoms of any allergies? Is this uncommon?
I have 3 with no allergies whatsoever, one we aren't really sure with, but as a baby any processed form of chicken was deadly w/ him (he does fine w/ raw chicken much to his mommy's happiness :) )

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've considered raw & asked my vet about it a while back & she begged me NOT to feed her raw because she can't count how many dogs she treats with Salmonella or Ecoli every year because of raw feeding. The vet is just as surprised as I am as to how much Midgie's allergic to & can't believe that she looks & acts as good as she does. I've been feeding the THK Preference for about a month now & she's not allergic to any of the ingrediants in that. What's funny about this whole situation is the things I thought Midgie was allergic to are the few things she's not like Beef & Chicken. I can't believe it.
Wow, interesting your vet sees so many with Salmonella & Ecoli, did you know that Salmonella is also found in kibble? My golden retriever had Ecoli in her bladder LONG before I even thought about feeding her raw. I would bet your vet is using it as a scare tactic, as that is what Hills/Euk/Royal Canin reps cram down their throats, I know all of our reps have told us how horrible it is (of course they are going to as they don't make money on it). My dad (vet) fully supports feeding raw as he's seen the wonderful results in feeding raw to my dogs, he's constantly amazed at how well Zoey is doing. I asked about salmonella/ecoli etc on Dogster a while back and not 1 persons dog has had it and many have been feeding for years. Just my observation. I know it's made a WORLD of difference in Zoey, and feeding the same protein (such as duck etc) most of the time the animal will eventually become allergic to it, which happened to my cat Little Foot who was allergy tested and allergic to everything but Rabbit, after so long he because allergic to Rabbit as well.

ETA: Dogs systems are made differently than ours, they can handle & eliminate bacteria and not get sick from it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts