Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure by now that plenty of people have heard about "The Secret". The Book and DVD are selling tons of copies and it has even been on Oprah. I started using the secret about a month ago and already it has manifested a great new teaching job (for the past six months I have been substituting). And while I was thinking about all this I realized that I manifested Callie into my life. When I got her two years ago things seemed all wrong (I was actually third on the list) and then they just fell into place because I had already visualized her in my life and decided that she was mine. I'm wondering if anybody else has had experience with "The Secret"

-Elizabeth and Callisto

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some information can be found at http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html
Basically the book and the movie talks about the law of attraction which states that you attract whatever you are thinking about (ie if you think about debt, you attract debt, if you think about prosperity you attract that instead) So they teach you how to manifest positive things instead of negative. They were featured on Oprah earlier this week and are I believe CNN is talking about The Secret tonight. I know personally, when I read the book things just made sense with advice I have read and been given all my life (like here when several people told me that if you just relax the right chi will find you). The phenomenon started in Australia and is growing every day. One might even say that I was inspired to write this post because someone here needed to hear about it!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yeah I saw that too. I dunno if I completely agree with it ... especially the aspect that everything that happens is because of some aspect you control. That kinda puts the blame of rape victims and stuff on them. Like, they were raped because they were thinking about it and attracted it. Dunno if I like it =/

From the positive end it sounds nice and makes sense for sure, but I don't really agree with it in the sense that you're necessarily responsible for *everything* in your life ... if you know what I mean :D

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm in my 50's, and there has been different variations of this type of stuff over the years. Basically a different variation of positive thinking. Been there....done that....doesn't really work all that much!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
*krista* said:
Yeah I saw that too. I dunno if I completely agree with it ... especially the aspect that everything that happens is because of some aspect you control. That kinda puts the blame of rape victims and stuff on them. Like, they were raped because they were thinking about it and attracted it. Dunno if I like it =/

From the positive end it sounds nice and makes sense for sure, but I don't really agree with it in the sense that you're necessarily responsible for *everything* in your life ... if you know what I mean :D
I completely agree with everything that Krista said. Rape victims, parents of children with fatal diseases, people with disabilities....I don't think they "thought" these things into their lives. ........At the risk of opening a whole other can of worms, I believe that there is some higher being or power that controls the stuff that we can't control. I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe the world is a petri dish of sorts.....

Anyway, it is a really nice thought that positive thinking will change your life but I don't think it really works in all aspects.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I certainly never meant to imply that if you think postively that bad things can't happen to you.And I don't know why bad things do happen to people :confused: Maybe because there are bad people in the world :( I just think if you have a positive attitude about things that have happened or will the outcome is better. Like maybe if you get cancer & you're just sure you're gonna die from it then well you probably will but if you think you'll live & you fight then that positive way of thinking will help you survive etc....

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yeah positive attitude does go a looooong way. I just didn't like how they likened 'the secret' to placing an order in a restaurant ... like, whatever you think, good or bad, it's placing an order. That places all the blame for things squarly on the person who 'ordered' them, and I don't like that.

Attitude does count for a lot though, that's for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts