Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Thundershirt? I just ordered one for Miss Oakley.

Thundershirt | The Best Solution for Dog Anxiety

It seems like they have put some legitimate research into the shirts. I don't expect it to work a miracle for her, but thought it was worth a try. Hopefully it fits, and I will post a review of it once she's given it a try.

I know there are a few other pups on here that deal with anxiety in various situations so I wanted to pass it along incase it might be helpful to them.

Sounds like it helps with car sickness, anxiety related barking, thunder fears, etc. etc.

Oakley gets a pink one :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have not ever used one, but was going to get one for Georgie my pomeranian before I adopted him out, but never did, I did tell his new mom about them though. I have heard it helps IMMENSELY, a trainer I work with (online) strongly recommends them.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope hers fits...it says 9"-12" chests so hopefully it will, but she also is much less than 12 lbs which it says up to weight wise. Its heartbreaking to see her be so fearful in new situations and around new people. I will post a full review because she is the perfect candidate to try them.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
let me know if it works!! Baby-Love is afraid of thunder and wind she goes insane pants and runs around non stop I tried the sock thing and a tight shirt that didn't fit anymore with no luck! I will order one if it works somewhat! thanks for ssharing!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stumbled upon them by accident and after reading tons of reviews, I really am curious! I found an authorized dealer on ebay and was able to get free shipping, but they aren't cheap IMO so hope it works!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey is so afraid of storms, she just pants the entire time and shakes so bad, let me know how it goes... might help Honey too ??

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, this works in a similar way with Fiddle. If I need her to settle down and she wont, I put her sock shirt on and its like instant calm! Hopefully this works. Keep us posted

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I somehow missed this thread before. Roo has a terrible fear of thunderstorms. I'll be very curious to hear what you think of it, Kristi. If it goes well, I'll have to get one for Roo.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I am not posting an official review yet, but I will just say so far my assesment is...IT WORKS! Normally she has really bad anxiety whenever we leave to go anywhere, and in the car she huddles and shivers on my lap. Well today we went for a walk and she was in her carrier and instead of hiding, she rode the entire walk with her head popped up. Then later in the car, she sat up, instead of curling up, and looked out the window the whole time, even when I went through a drive-thru, she ducked a little, but then kind of just looked at what was happening.

I want to try it in a few more situations before I really give it my approval, but so far, I really think it does work. Her anxiety in social situations is EXTREME so even if it calms her somewhat, I'll be thrilled. Just the fact that she sat up and didn't shake the entire car ride was HUGE. She's not scared of the car itself she just knows it BRINGS her places shes not a fan of.

Their sizing is off. The shirt I have (XXS) will NOT fit Trigger, and he is 7 lbs.

I would say 5-6 lbs tops for correct fit on the XXS.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Wow that's amazing. Roo is the same in the car, shakes and cries. She is ok is social situations (although a bit shy) it's mainly thunderstorms and car rides that scare her. I'm so glad it's helped Okaley! :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
What kind of material is it, Kristi? Is it thick or thin?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really was surprised. She is NOT a confident dog outside of our house, and I've tried everything. She was slightly nervous for the first minute we were in the car but then just sat up and looked around the whole time we were out. I was really surprised. And normally she'd have hidden the whole walk if she was in her carrier (she can't go on walks yet b'c of her surgery). So...yeah. I am going to bring her to the pet store tomorrow with it on to see her response, as well as take her for a few walks with it on once she is allowed to walk again. They say for cases as extreme as hers it should be part of a whole rehabilitation program but its working really well nonetheless. So we'll see :) I got the shirt off ebay...it was kinda pricey but if it actually keeps working, we're gonna get 1 or 2 more. The way the material and shirt work are NOT just like putting a snug sock around their torso, which I know some use as home-made thunder shirts, so its worth the $$ IMO, plus it is easy on, easy off.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of material is it, Kristi? Is it thick or thin?
The material is similar to a sport's bra-ish material? Like a very soft, but very stretchy cotton/spandex mix? the shirt is made with "stripes" of fabric that vary the pressure its putting on their torso.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
How much did you pay on ebay? Was it cheaper than on the link you posted?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I am excited to hear how it works during a storm! None of my chi's are afraid of the car but because me and OH haven't lived together for 2-3 years now we are constantly going back and forth so they are used to it although Baby-Love cries her head off if we go in any other car except OH's but it's because the only time she's in another car is going to the vets lol.

If the result is positive during storms I am SOLD on it lol she is an absolute nutcase even if it's just windy out it's very irritating after a period of time!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The material is similar to a sport's bra-ish material? Like a very soft, but very stretchy cotton/spandex mix? the shirt is made with "stripes" of fabric that vary the pressure its putting on their torso.
Hmm interesting. I'm going to get one for Roo. If it helps for car ride alone that would be worth it. I always feel so bad taking her in the car, it's traumatic seeing how scared she gets. :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much did you pay on ebay? Was it cheaper than on the link you posted?
The pink one seems to be $41 everywhere, it just had free shipping on e-bay. Plus I tend to get things faster off of e-bay. Some websites irritate me! I bought something 3 weeks ago from bowwowsbest.com (yes I am naming and shaming!) and it hasn't even shipped because they didn't have it in stock!...but I digress...

The gray color is cheaper than the pink or the navy...but its still like $30ish I think.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm interesting. I'm going to get one for Roo. If it helps for car ride alone that would be worth it. I always feel so bad taking her in the car, it's traumatic seeing how scared she gets. :(
She normally pants she is so freaked out, so...the sitting calmly would suggest it works...I'm just nervous to be happy it works yet!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I just went on ebay and the pink one looks like a different style than the gray one? Maybe it just looks like that way but they are the same? Here's two for comparison. The pink one looks like it wraps with velcro and the gray one looks more like a single piece shirt. Kinda confusing.

THUNDERSHIRT CALM Dog Travel Storms Barking Stress XXS - eBay (item 230547179144 end time Dec-05-10 11:34:26 PST)

XXS Gray THUNDERSHIRT Dog Anxiety Stress Relief Travel - eBay (item 360278307331 end time Dec-01-10 12:15:33 PST)

The gray is seriously ugly. lol. I'd have to get the pink, since I'm spending the money she may as well be stylish. haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts