Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please understand, this is not my first puppy. I have raised 5 Mini Schnauzers and NEVER had this much trouble. I have tried all of the techniques. Crate training (can go for hours with no issue), Proximity training-he is always in my sight (will do so well you think you have won), going outside every hour, rain or shine, and of course the almost ever-faithful treat. We can go a long time, with no accidents, then we go in a streak where if I turn my back for a minute he will poo on the living room carpet (thank goodness they are firm!) and he seems so proud of himself with the tail going 90 miles per hour. He knows he has done wrong because once he sees I know he shrinks down to the floor and gets as much distance from me as he can.
The other issue is that he is a chewer. Lots of chew toys but he really prefers pillows, corners of furniture and loves spreading the stuffing all over the room. He can destroy a pillow in less than a minute or 2.
Yes he was a rescue and when I took him from the original person, he and his sister were in a tiny crate with feces and urine all over the floor and themselves. I do understand I have an uphill battle because of this but I have not had much luck in nearly 4 months. He has been neutered and was 1 year old in Dec.
The flip side, if you're still reading this he is the cutest, silliest, snuggle bug of the 3 dogs that live with me right now as well as the youngest. He is 1, Chewbacca (Chewy) is 5 and Hank is 10. Hank really does not care for the kid. lol

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I don't know how to help you, but I have to say that your description gave me hope that I might find someone else to talk to about the monster 1/2 chihuahua I rescued. (I was told it was another breed.) My favorite quote in the 6 months I've known him is, "if you neuter him, some of the biting MIGHT stop". MIGHT. Also, not my first dog, but I had NO idea that a canine could have this personality. He is cold when it is 60 degrees. He is demanding, pushy, emotionally manipulating, and overly energetic (with 2 walks a day, an active playmate, and attention). But, of course, he is cute, sweet, loving, and snuggly. I feel like I need a support group because I'm in over my head with this 1-year old dog. lol

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I don't know how to help you, but I have to say that your description gave me hope that I might find someone else to talk to about the monster 1/2 chihuahua I rescued. (I was told it was another breed.) My favorite quote in the 6 months I've known him is, "if you neuter him, some of the biting MIGHT stop". MIGHT. Also, not my first dog, but I had NO idea that a canine could have this personality. He is cold when it is 60 degrees. He is demanding, pushy, emotionally manipulating, and overly energetic (with 2 walks a day, an active playmate, and attention). But, of course, he is cute, sweet, loving, and snuggly. I feel like I need a support group because I'm in over my head with this 1-year old dog. lol

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel for you. I solved my problem the coward's way. He has gone back to the Rescue group and is now being fostered by someone with experience in training difficult dogs. I am convinced that IF I ever add another dog to the family it will not be a Chi and I will probably get another very smart, low-maintenance Mini Schnauzer. Obviously, I will be leaving the group as there is no reason not to. I don't hate the breed, it's just more than I can handle at my age and with health issues. Good luck to all and God Bless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts