Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar had his first vet visit today and I am happy to report he is "healthy as a horse" - the vets words not mine! She checked him all over and everything was perfectly normal, which I am just thrilled about! I was concerned about his mouth as I have noticed he tends to scratch at that area with his paw. The vet said she could see a bit of plaque but nothing worrisome at all as long as I am careful to take care of his teeth. Then she asked about his diet. I explained how I have just started him on a premade raw morning meal with acana grain free left out in the evenings. She basically said that it is highly possible that he could get extremely ill from the raw food as it could have bacteria in it. She said she had seen dogs die from salmonella found in raw food. So now, I am freaking out to say the least.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Vets are not well educated on nutrition. In vet school, they get 1-2 classes on nutrition and those classes are often sponsored by Royal Canin or Science Diet.

You are feeding a completely balanced diet. Your vet should have a more open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
891 Posts
Personally, I would find a new vet. One who is more up to date on their nutrition education. When Stella was ready for her vaccines, I called around to all the vets in the area until I found one that I felt comfortable with their vacc. schedule, and then I made a point of talking to the vet before I let them stick her. We discussed everything from limiting vacs to diet and exercise. I really feel that it is my job to interview the vet to make sure that they are someone who is going to work with me to make sure my dog is happy and healthy, and not just push drugs and procedures that may do more harm than good.

Don't let her scare you out of feeding raw. As long as you have done (and continue to do) your research on how to make sure that it's balanced and your pup is happy and healthy I'd say carry on. Maybe even print out some of your research to take along for your vet?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think you need to keep in mind that vet runs into all kinds of people who treat their animals in all kinds of ways.

I have seen people feed things to their dogs that I would need gloves on to collect and put into the garbage. And frankly some people's meat handling practices for their own non fur family members is downright scary.

So with that I think she was just letting you know your animal could get sick, just like your family could if you didn't follow safe handling procedures.

If my vet made mention of that to me I wouldn't be put off, because I know I vet with a lady I trust enough that I take my animals and animals I am helping to her in the first place & their well being is priority so she is covering all bases. So if you have a vet who you trust I think I would chalk it up to her just wanting to make sure you use common sense.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I haven't done as much research as some, so hopefully someone who feeds raw will know more. But I've heard from people on this forum that dogs process their food much differently than people do, so they can handle bacteria that would make people sick. Their digestive tracts are shorter and they have chemicals in their saliva and I think their stomach that prevents salmonella from getting them sick. So, you are actually more likely to get sick than your dog from feeding raw. Just be careful to wash your hands.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Rolls eyes, you can give dogs maggot infested, dirty, old road kill & they'll be perfectly fine. Their gut/gastric juices are well strong enough to kill all the bacterias she's talking about.

They eat possum poop, cat poop, their own poop, extra tasty cow, horse, chicken, duck & even fox poop, the rotten stinky old bones they buried a month ago, long dead festy live-stock on farms & dead possums & birds at the park - but your vet reckons a dog is going to die from eating fresh raw meat .... oh how I'd love a vet to say that to my face, they'd be wanting to go back to vet school by the time I'd finished with them. Fortunately my vet applauds raw & has a fridge full of it and NO mainstream kibble anywhere :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Dogs lick their butts. They eat poop. Fresh raw meat is not going to contain any pathogens worse than that! And even if it did, most dogs can handle nasties with no problem. They have a short and acidic GI tract.

The pre-mades are carefully screened for bacteria. I know that Stella and Chewy's does a test for pathogens on each and every batch and that information is available online from an independent lab.

There have been dozens and dozens of recalls for dry dog food. There's more of a chance for bacterial contamination there than with fresh, raw food.

The AVMA recently came out with a statement against raw food. It's political. Science Diet (Hills) sponsored the vet conference. Follow the money.

Having said all that, every person must make their own personal choice on what to feed their pets. No one should feel bullied on food choices. Read and research and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the idea of raw. I get it frozen (does that make a difference?) from a holistic pet food store that is completely local. I have heard nothing but positive things about this store and was extremely impressed by the people working there. I have never had a chi before Oscar and to be honest the vets comments scared me enough to only give oscar his acana today.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
He isn't going to get sick from raw food. Pre made raw foods are tested for bacteria. As long as you aren't leaving it out for days before feeding it, I don't see why there would be a risk. Vets do NOT have any training on nutrition unless they seek it out themselves. Dogs didn't eat kibble off of a kibble tree before it was invented- they ate raw meat, rotten meat, garbage, etc. Their digestive systems are more than capable of handling it. Ignore your vet.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Ask your vet how many dogs die from eating kibble! I don't mean slowly over time due to conditions caused by poor nutrition, but directly from bloat, for example. Far, far more common than salmonella poisoning, I can promise you. Strange how vets don't try and put you off kibble though, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.