Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today started late, slept in, woke up to find my Zeus sitting in a puppy-made cave under the covers happy to see me awake and stated licking me. I never ever take baths, but today was going to be an exception since I was very sick throughout the nite. I just wanted to relax and let the steam fill me. Like usual, I am brushing my teeth while my Zeus monster trots in circles in the bathroom(his favorite place to use the bathroom, I'm so lucky), while the tub is filling. I left him in the bathroom and went to get my morning coffee for my everyday coffee break I take first thing in the morning. I always take him outside with me since we go everywhere together, but today I wasn't going to spend now more time than I had to, so I left him in the bathroom only to return shortly. After I came back ready for the bath, I found he had somehow climbed up into the bathtub and was floating face down. I stood there and called him hoping he was for some reason playing. He absolutely HATES water, with a deep passion. To the point that I can't even bathe him in the sink without stopping in fear of him getting a heart attack. I rushed to the bath and picked his lifeless body out of the water and placed him on the throw rug. His mouth open, tounge laid out, and eyes wide open showing now white of his eyeballs. After rougly 2 mins of trying to gain his attention, it was clear he was dead. There was no doubt in my mind. I was terrified. I rushed in panic looking for anything in the medical container while in tears only to find nothing of use. I rushed back and started performing CPR (mainly mouth to mouth, I was scared to give him chest thrust in fear of breaking everything since he is so small and fragile). After about 6 sessions of forced air, his lungs dumped water from his lifeless body. I continued to gain his attention with no luck. I continued CPR until his body would not let me give any more, either his body was blocking his airway from getting more air or his lungs were full. I tried 1 last time a few moments after. Slowly his legs started to twitch slightly. I ran down stairs and turned on the firplace (which was not need by any means since it was pretty warm today, got redressed while running in to check on him. I had been drying him off during this time. I wrapped him up in 1 of my tshirts and his blanket only because he loves my clothes and will only sit on a peice of my clothing. We went down stairs to the firseplace, while I heard the most horrific cries coming out of him I have ever heard in my life. Based on the training I have recieved in the past, I felt has if something was missing, so I grabbed my netbook and began researching shock for drowning victims. It was just as vague as my training..."cover in a blanket, give no water to them, keep them warm, raise their heads......seek medical attention asap" basically....This I knew, what it wasn't telling me is what do I do inbetween that time of medical attention if the victim isn't responding to the treatment. While reading I also was looking for the nearest animal hospital. We rushed out the door to discover I had a completely flat tire. I then ran back inside into the garage to get the air compressor and repaired my tire. During the drive he still gave faint wimpers and was closing his eyes, I kept him awake since I knew he could not fall asleep while in shock. After we arrived the vet tech asked what was wrong, I got most of the situation out before I was so chocked up I couldn't even talk. They grabbed him and began shock and drowning treatment by placing him in an oxygen tank whith an IV. They did so many things to him over the day and would update me every time I went to check on him. Now 8:30pm we are home and his has eaten the largest meal ever and his happier than I have ever seen him. I can't remember what deals I made with God in the moment, but I am pretty sure I gave up everything. My Zeus is my lil man and I can't tell you how devistating today has been. Thank you, I just had to share my total destruction of today.
p.s.- he has lost 2 teeth over the last 2 days that I know of. Looks like the Doggy Tooth Fairy willbe visiting him very soon!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Oh my god, that is my worst nightmare. I can't imagine how shocked and scared you must have been. So happy to hear that your little man is recovered. Mine loves water so remembering your experience will make me extra vigilant.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
OMG! How absolutely scary! I am so glad for your quick thinking and not giving up on him! Thank goodness he's alright. Big hug to you and him and give him loads of love tonight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very lucky. I just still don't know why he would have climbed up into the bath. I don't even know how he did it either. He has been climbing anything he can put his front paws on over the last week, but the bath? The hospital said they see that with puppies. Puppies have a curious side to them, or maybe he wanted to drink the water. Nobody will ever know to be honest. But it will never have a chance to happen again!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Omg that is the scariest story ever I think my heart stopped until I got to the end thank god it was a good ending phew who would have thought they could even get in the tub?? I'm so glad you had quick thinking and didn't give up truly a miracle!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have given CPR until I died. There was no reason for me too based on how long I was gone and the unknown time he may have been in there, but there was no way I was letting my best friend to go down. He really is Zeus, king of the gods. I felt it was a suiting name when I first got him since he looks like a cute rat. Oh, I felt as if his offical weight 2 weeks ago was wrong, and it was, he is offically the smallest thing I have ever heard of being a dog....he is 1.12lbs

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Hm seems weird that if he's 1.12 lbs he'd be able to jump in the tub my smallest is 3 lbs and he can't even get on the bed or couch let alone the tub did you ever figure out how he got in?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hm seems weird that if he's 1.12 lbs he'd be able to jump in the tub my smallest is 3 lbs and he can't even get on the bed or couch let alone the tub did you ever figure out how he got in?
Yes, same thoughts here.
I also have a small Chi and he cannot even see over the bath's edge when he's on his hind legs!

Are you sure he's 1.12 pounds? at 5 months? that seems extremely tiny.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes he's tiny. I don't know how either. oh no, he doesn't jump. He uses his rear legs to get himself up things. Yesterday he was climbing up the slide to the play set in the back yard. He kept falling over and slidding down every time he tried walking up it. He has gotten to the point of leaping off the couch too. I hate when he does it. The couch is extremelt high for him. I don't think he can pull himself up with his front legs, or I have never seen it. But if he can get his paws on it, he wiggles and claws his way up the side of things

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am very lucky. I just still don't know why he would have climbed up into the bath. I don't even know how he did it either. He has been climbing anything he can put his front paws on over the last week, but the bath? The hospital said they see that with puppies. Puppies have a curious side to them, or maybe he wanted to drink the water. Nobody will ever know to be honest. But it will never have a chance to happen again!
One of my chis, Penny, jumps in the bathtub all the time. I don't leave the tub out of my sight when it is full, because she jumped in face first once (luckily I was there) and was very disoriented. I had no idea she could jump that high. I am so glad your chi is okay!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meee toooo. I know he must be getting upset with me because I wont leave him alone. I keep waking him up to make sure he is ok.lol. But I know he doesn't mind, he always licks me on the nose everytime I do

·
Registered
894 Posts
How scary! So glad everything turned out okay. That is weird such a small Chi could get in the bathtub.. My 4 lb Izzie can't jump in the tub, but my almost 8 lb Bella can. The 2 and 5 year old I babysit were taking a bath one time, and for some reason Bella got in there once. Not sure why, as she hates baths, lol. But she was fine, it wasn't very full for the kids and Bella is tall. But that is scary!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
When Pepper was a pup, he could get on the sofa when he weighed about 2 pounds, he kicked his way up. Did you have a bath mat or something leaning against the side of the tub?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Omg my heart died reading this! I would have passed out! Heck I almost did reading this! I am so sorry you had to go through this today! I am so so happy that he is ok! Tough guy for being so tiny! He is super tiny! I thought maybe they would keep him over night at the vet if that happen just to make sure he was ok! I bet he is happy to be home though and under warm covers. Bless his heart! Again, so glad he's ok!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bryan, your experience had my throat in my gut. Thank God that Zeus is on the road torecovery! You are a super chi Dad. At 5 months Sparkles was only 1lb.8 oz. Hugs to both of you!

Tori

·
Registered
10 Posts
OMG, I was in tears to be reading your story,thank goodness your little man is ok. I have two beautiful babies and would die if anything happened to them. Give your little man a big hug and kiss.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Omg, that must have been so so terrifying! I am glad he's doing well, he's a little miracle. Good job you found him and responded so quickly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts