Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you use this???

Does it work? Was it hard? Did you like it?

I have severe insulin resistance, so I need something on the low carb scale. I've tried Atkins and the Insulin Resistance Diets... they are too extreme for me to stick with. I am weak.... :(

I was thinking of just eating low fat meat (including a few meals of the dreaded red meat because I love it), veggies and small amounts of fruit and then doing an hour of exercise a day. A half hour in the morning and a half hour in the evening. For snacks I was thinking yogurts, cheese, cottage cheese, celery with peanut butter and things along those lines. Lots and lots of water .... does that sound like it will work? I don't ever know what to make for breakfast, I don't like cereal or oatmeal, I don't drink coffee and I am supposed to stay away from toast (bread, pasta, potato's etc) A favorite around here is bacon and eggs in the morning, horrible I know... but its what we have many times a week. This morning I had a low fat yogurt (made me itchy?!) and some cheese. I am supposed to stay away from a lot of fruit, because of the sugar content or pair them with a protein. yuck! Anyone have any breakfast ideas?

I have a lot of weight to lose, I want to lose a ton before our huge family reunion next July!!! Plus, my cousin is getting married in December and I want to be able to fit into something nice! :foxes15:

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
A carb free diet is never good - you put yourself at risk of extreme tiredness, ketosis and serious damage to your kidneys.

Eat good carbs - Yes there are such things!

Bad carbs = white bread, white pastas, any highly processed carbs can send your blood sugar soaring.

Good carbs which release sugars slowly is what you need - Basmati rice is the best rice, Wholegrain Breads, wholemeal pastas, high fibre cereals etc.

What you could look at is the GI diet - GI = glycemic index - they rate foods as to how fast the sugars work - the best are the very slow release sugars.

No-one can be healthy, fit and energetic on the diet you mention. So be sure to incorporate some good carbs!!

And good luck!!

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, I was beginning to think no one was going to.

I find the GI diet hard to understand... do you think you could break it down into an
easier form?

I don't want to end up diabetic, right now I am "reverse diabetic" is what my doctor says. I make waaaay too much insulin, but it won't be long and my pancreas will stop making insulin and I'll be diabetic. My mother is type one and my father is type two. I will get it one day.... but I hope to delay it!!! :(

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
i love meat :) always get grass fed meat if you wanna eat it because grain fed meat is high in fat but grass fed is better. my bf always says "you know why people in france arent fat than us U.S people? it's because their meat are all grass fed meat in the fast food and restaurants rather than our meat from mcdonalds and diners..." o_O
eat lotsa veggies! just like our chis lmao :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Diets in general don't work... best way is to eat better naturally and increase activity.

This is what I'm doing anyways. Cutting out white bread/most breads, junk food and convenience foods as much as possible for green stuff, low fat meats and veggies... and I upped the spice. Spicy food jump starts metabolism; which is my problem..I don't have one.

Hello, curry! :p

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL I don't have one either! But I can't do spice, or much citris... peptic ulcers don't tolerate that! lol

Rob however, give him atomic fire sauce and he will add it to anything... LOL

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You too, huh? I hate it. I eat healthy, am fairly active and yt I'm a squish. My guy lives on junk food and sugar and sporadically works out and he's fairly cut. SO UNFAIR!!!

Hmmm.... how about very mild curries? The curry spices in general are good to get stuff flowing.. even if you don't use alot of it. Cinnamon is supposed to be good for the same thing, and mints too. I hence add cinnamon to teas and ice cream/yogart and grow mint on my porch for snacks. The cinnamon is also supposed to be good for avoiding diabetes... it runs in my family and I no want.

*is not sure what those are really*

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard about cinnamon for IR... I forgot about that, thanks! I think I'll check out the health food store about that!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
And it's so yummy! Supposedly a teaspoon a day is the right dose... but it's so tasty.. and doesn't add calories or stuff like sugar does. I sometimes have a bit more then that.

And just so I don't seem too weird.. I don't really eat the mint I grow. I 'snack' by chewing a leaf or two when I'm just a bit hungry but it isn't meal time yet. I grow chocolate mint, it tastes like a thin mint cookie so it does quite nicely as a fake snack. I just re-read that, lol.

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you get that flavor??? That sounds like a great idea when I want something sweet... no calories are a BONUS! lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
You too, huh? I hate it. I eat healthy, am fairly active and yt I'm a squish. My guy lives on junk food and sugar and sporadically works out and he's fairly cut. SO UNFAIR!!!

Hmmm.... how about very mild curries? The curry spices in general are good to get stuff flowing.. even if you don't use alot of it. Cinnamon is supposed to be good for the same thing, and mints too. I hence add cinnamon to teas and ice cream/yogart and grow mint on my porch for snacks. The cinnamon is also supposed to be good for avoiding diabetes... it runs in my family and I no want.

*is not sure what those are really*
diabetes is a horrible thing. if your guy keeps eating like that he'll end up with it just a warning my guy almost had diabetes too. too much sugar in the coffee too much candy...too much soda results to this over years
u definitely dont want this
"Diabetes means that your blood glucose (sugar) is too high. Your blood always has some glucose in it because the body uses glucose for energy; it's the fuel that keeps you going. But too much glucose in the blood is not good for your health.

Your body changes most of the food you eat into glucose. Your blood takes the glucose to the cells throughout your body. The glucose needs insulin to get into the body's cells. Insulin is a hormone made in the pancreas, an organ near the stomach. The pancreas releases insulin into the blood. Insulin helps the glucose from food get into body cells. If your body does not make enough insulin or the insulin does not work right, the glucose can't get into the cells, so it stays in the blood. This makes your blood glucose level high, causing you to have diabetes.

If not controlled, diabetes can lead to blindness, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, amputations (having a toe or foot removed, for example), and nerve damage. In women, diabetes can cause problems during pregnancy and make it more likely that your baby will be born with birth defects. "

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi Kim! An elderly neighbor I had a few years back was very severely diabetic and had to take lots of medicine and had all kinds of problems. She was fairly overweight too. Her doctor recommended that she join Eden Place, which is a woman's gym in that town. no men allowed and it wasnt weight training. I don't remember what they call it, but everything was done in stations/segments. the 'machines' were set up in a circle around the room and there was music playing. you just joined the circle and worked out to the music, but the music had breaks in it that told you to change stations, or stop to check your heart rate, etc. She started out with one rotation every 3 days, and worked her way up to 3 every other day. she lost a ton of weight and was able to stop taking insulin several times a day. she also started watching a little more closely what she ate, but did NOT go on any sort of structured diet. I used to go work out with her until i hurt my back and could not walk for 3 months. when i was done with my PT and able to move a little better she was really working circles around me. She was the lady i have mentioned before who had the chi named buttercup that they trained to whisper. Buttercup was also the one that went into a coma from getting a hold of a hershey kiss wrapper that missed the garbage can. (Buttercup did come out of the coma, though, for the ones who will wonder.) anyhow, just start of with 20 min of cardio a day and work your way up. paying attention to what you eat as well.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Hi girl, dieting just sucks, doesn't it??? I'm also a high risk diabetes candidate. Type 1 and 2 runs heavily in my family. I had gestational diabetes through both my pregnancies, ugh!!! I've lost 15 pounds in about 4 or 5 months. What I've done is tons of protein, good carbs and good old fashioned portion control. I eat half of what I used to eat. Eat slowly, chew every bite. Drink a big glass of water before your meal to fill you up. I use balsamic vinegar as my salad dressing now. I still add some cheese and sesame sticks but it's really quite delicious. I use lower fat sour cream when I use it (not fat free, yuck!!!). I use whole wheat pasta (angel hair, it's really good and my kids don't even notice). I limit red meat to once a week. I only eat a chunk of bread with my meal if it's a special occasion. If I know I'm going out to lunch or dinner, that's my main meal and I'll eat cottage cheese with tomatoes or something "light" for the other meal. Eggs are fine in moderation. Skip juices or anything like that (too much sugar, same with fruit). I always limit my carbs but I don't skip them altogether. Buy spinach wraps. They are delicious with turkey breast on them or chicken and lettuce, tomato and whatever sauce you like (a small amount). I've had great success with WW but I know people that love the Zone Diet. Move it, move it, move it. I park in the furthest parking spot away wherever I go. I just try to be as active as I can without any real "formal" exercise. Just walk when you can. Every commercial, get up and get more water or let the pups out or throw a load of laundry in or whatever. It really makes a difference. If I drink, I do wine spritzers now. 1/2 wine, 1/2 fresca or diet 7-up. I sip on them and can make 2 glasses of wine last a long time. Pretzels instead of chips. Cut up cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, etc. Cut them up when you get home from the store so you can just grab them. Makes it easier. As much chicken and fish as you can stand. If you use cheese, do the part skim mozzarella (it's good). Okay, I'm rambling. I've made all these changes and it really has worked for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat pizza, chicken wings, french fries, etc. but it's in total moderation. Good luck doll. There's no quick fix but a few changes will make a huge difference. Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I got the mint from a local plant nursery. It shouldn't be too hard to get. It is so yummy, heh.

Yeah.. I know. He doesn't believe me. It's hard to convince someone with almost no body fat that their diet is crap.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the low carb diet does not work for me, i live for carbs, its a main part of my diet and i almost died when i tried the south beach diet for 4 days. i literally made myself sick haha

this is what i do when i'm trying to lose weight and it works for me 100%. for breakfast, i will have some fiber cereal with skim milk, and for lunch i will have a lean cuisine or a smart ones (i buy these at target only becae they are significantly cheaper than at grocery stores, there are fewer choices but so cheap!), and i have a mid afternoon snack, usually a 100 calorie pack or a piece of fruit. then for dinner i have whatever i want, in moderation. i am not a water drinker at all, but when i'm trying to lose weight i don't drink anything but water - no juice, no soda, not even diet (i find that sometimes diet soda makes me hungrier? if that makes any sense) - but since i hate water, i buy the crystal light packets, white grape is my absolute favorite, and sip on it all day long, which keeps me full all day. i work out almost every day also, while on this diet, and try to run 3-4 miles on the treadmill. i don't sprint, i casually jog at a steady rate of about 5.7-5.8mph.

keeping up with this routine i can lose about 5lbs in 2 weeks. i really dont mind the food, i dont really limit myself to anythign except breakfast and lunch, and i dont snack after dinner. and i let myself have whatever for dinner, in moderation of course. i think the hardest part of this diet is getting my butt to the gym! but this absolutely works for me. oh and sometimes i substitute in oatmeal (maple & brown sugar with a packet of splenda!) for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
the low carb diet does not work for me, i live for carbs, its a main part of my diet and i almost died when i tried the south beach diet for 4 days. i literally made myself sick haha
I turned into a lunatic when i tried south beach for a couple weeks. my body apparently needs the carbs, too :)

however, i've heard that if you skip the ultra-conservative first phase and start with the second phase, you'll get the same results without the deprivation.

I have a lot to lose, too, and have done it all. WW has been the most successful for me. Lost 35 lbs in less than 6 months. granted, i gained most of it back when i fell off the diet wagon, but it worked.

for me, dieting is moderation, LOTS of sleep and moderate exercise. calories in and calories out is important. so is just being active. even if you're not losing a lot of weight, activity helps your heart, your body and your mind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts