Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty obsessed about chis. If i had a chance i'd rescue them all if i lived in California. I just dont get why so many chis are dumped in the shelters in Cali. The shelter I got my baby girl from is full of 7 week old chis and many other types of dogs. If anyone is looking for a chihuahua puppies there are so many in the shelters in California. I don't get how there could be so many on a weekly basis. I've counted at least 150 chis or chi-mixes at this particular shelter. Why is the situation to drastic in California?

Please consider rescuing these babies in the high kill shelters in Bakersfield or Los Angeles. It breaks my heart to see such small babies there!

3,132 Posts
That breaks my heart!!!
I wonder if its got something to do with that Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie? I've not seen it yet, but one would think that the Chi sales would be booming due to the movie and Christmas coming up...?

Ugh, thinking of the poor shivering lil babies in those loud kennals... (sobs) :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think one of the reasons is the Paris Hilton effect. If the shelter you're talking about is in or anywhere near LA there are many girls around there who want to be like their favorite celebrities. And unfortunately having a chi or another small cute animal fits that description of what they are striving to create of themselves. But once they realize the huge responsibility they've gotten themselves involved in and all the attention and hard work it's way too much for them so the poor little chis end up in shelters or, heaven forbid, worse they just get dropped off somewhere. It's an incredibly horrible truth out there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think Amy527 is hitting it closer to home with the Paris Hilton wannabes. Many young girls, some still in elementary I bet you, since I remember some Mom's saying Paris is a 'good' role model. Probably all begged their parents for a chi puppy and the after math is about the same the puppy loses its youthfulness has habits due lack of training. Who knows about the breeding!? Eventually the dog ends up tossed aside like yesterday's fashion trend. California has the climate where a chi just fits in with. I'm not 100% sure why the shelters so stock full of them I think its due to the fame and over breeding by BYB. :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i live in Bakersfield, its about two hours from L.A unfortantly one shelter i called wanted 275 dollar adopton fee. And about 90% of then WILL NOT adopt to families with kids

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
its very sad, my daughter is so good with my chis. They charge a higher adoption fee for chis because chihuahuas out here are just throw out like garbage, they are forced to charge a higher fee to make sure they go to the right family

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I can understand the rescue wanting the dogs to go to the right home,...but any body can come up with money..they should focus on interviewing them more and looking into the persons lives to make sure they are ready for a shelter pup, that should include familys with children, not all kids treat animals like toys.

I get majorly down knowing that there are all these animals in shelters and I cant do a thing to help :( xx

·
Registered
857 Posts
It really irks me when people blame paris hilton or a movie for these chis being dumped.
Then saying that many girls follow paris. I bet there are just as many who "dont" and wouldnt take kindly to that comment. Its not fair to put everyone in one basket.

Like yesterday at the bus stop I was ignorantly told paris hilton started the love of chihuahuas, so that must be why i got mine. grrrrrr

And yeah i did use to live in L.A

I

·
0 Posts
It makes me so sad to hear of so many dogs in resuces anywhere.
At least these ones have found thier way to a rescue where they will be cared for, and eventually find good homes.
There are many dogs in places such as mexico who arent so lucky, who are treated like vermin, left living ont he streets etc.
The ones in resuces are the lucky one's.

I wish I could do more to help, i really do.
I would seriously fly one or two over here to live with me If i seriously thought I could work it all out.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
My first pet I got was a chihuahua and I fell in love with the breed after that. No movie or celebrity influenced me.

I would LOVE to adopt a chi/chi mix from a shelter, but some of the adoption fees are a bit...high. Maybe I'm the only one that figured these shelters would rather go through a longevity process of deciding whether someone will really love one of their dogs, other than giving one to the first person who can fork over so much cash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It really irks me when people blame paris hilton or a movie for these chis being dumped.
Then saying that many girls follow paris. I bet there are just as many who "dont" and wouldnt take kindly to that comment. Its not fair to put everyone in one basket.

Like yesterday at the bus stop I was ignorantly told paris hilton started the love of chihuahuas, so that must be why i got mine. grrrrrr

And yeah i did use to live in L.A
Okay since I'm the one that first brought up the Paris Hilton Effect I just want to make sure it's clear that I was not putting everyone into one basket. No Paris Hilton, movies, and others to the liking are not the sole and only reason for these chis being dumped. There are many reasons for not only these dogs but dogs of all breeds being dumped. But as ridiculous as it is that superficial and materalistic outlook is just one reason for Chis being dumped. I dearly love LA and celebrities but that is far from the truth when it comes to why I have my chi, I've loved chis for as long as I can remember and would still love them even if they weren't so popular. It irks me as well when people make comments assuming I have a chi because of stereotype. But like the person you unfortunately ran into on the bus are people who make those comments because they are misinformed and obviously judges a book by it's cover.
I by no means wanted to offend anyone by my first statement and just felt like I needed to explain myself because I don't want anyone getting something out of what I said besides what I intended for it to mean.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amy527 no worries, I was not taken into offence about the comments on Paris Hilton. I don't believe anyone here loves their chis for any reason other than what the breed is. I think the key problem with so many chis and other dogs being at the shelters is due to non-education regarding sterilization. The number of pregnant animals at this particular shelter is a case in point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

There are a lot of Chihuahuas in Northern Cal up for adoption. I was surprised when we started looking for a second Chihuahua how many there are in the shelters and rescue groups.

It does bother me when a breeder uses gimmicks in their ads like *own a Chihuahua just like one from the movies Beverly Hills Chihuahua*. I know the Dalmatian rescues see an increase after the 101 Dalmatian movies come out.

Stephanie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts