Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda mentally making a meal plan for Kahlua. What I'm wondering since I'm not at the grocery store (and we've got a bag of Evo to finish still) is this:

How much in oz on average does 1 chicken heart weigh?

About how much does 1 chicken wing weigh in total?
>How much of the chicken wing is the bone?
>What about the meat?

When measuring out the bone; is there something you guys recommend that you can buy that is the 'boniest'? (Lol that sounds odd but you get what I mean.) I'm just wondering if there is anything out there that is small and boney with not as much meat on it as a wing? Or do you guys usually just consider a chicken wing as being a meatymeat-and-bone combo and not bother 'separating' them for measuring purposes?

Thanksies!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think you are overthinking this just a little bit. ;) But its great to see you asking questions and trying to figure it all out. You will get more confident as you go on and learn to eyeball rather than weigh and measure everything.

If you fed a chicken wing, you'd cut it into 3 pieces at the joints, so you have the little drummett piece, the piece in the middle with the two long bones and the wing tip. It's OK to be bone heavy in the beginning, but you will eventually scale the bone percentage back to 10% over time. Bone keeps the stools firm, so you want to be bone heavy in the beginning until they adjust.

Some people start with chicken necks, or bone-in chicken breast, or wings, or whole cornish hens. Any of those are fine. I usually get a 1 pound cornish hen and whack it up into about 8 pieces of skin/meat/bone and that is a 2 ounce portion. If you eye ball it, an ounce is about the size of a regular ice cube. Not much at all. I don't have a scale with me, but I would guess a chicken heart would be about half an ounce.

There's a USDA database that lists all foods and their nutritional content. I don't have the link in front of me. But a chicken wing is very bony, I believe around 50% bone.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm absolutely certain that I'm overthinking, LOL. It's how my mind works. I think I've actually compiled a weeks meal plan that I believe is balanced; I'm going to add it on to my other post where I originally asked for a meal plan.
I'm definitely starting with your original advice to just stick with one protein at first; gonna stock up on some of those cornish hens. Rob my bf has officially volunteered to do the massacring so we shall grab some shears and see how things go.
Thanks again so much for all your help, it means the world!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You are sooooo welcome! We all love to help! Just ask away and one of us is usually around to answer any questions you might have! Can't wait to see what your pups think. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts