Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Part 1

They came the night we got dumped off in the very scary area. It was hot that day, too hot for a dog with no shade. We huddled together at the side of the road - our little family. We were all each other had. I was tired. I had had many litters of puppies whom I had loved but they had been taken from me. At least I had my family now.

The male in our group(Dad to most of the young ones in our group) tried to cross the road. Something loud and fast came and he went flying back to the side of the road. We lay by him trying to offer comfort, but he never moved again.

We saw many people roar by in their boxy crates, looking out of their glass windows, but they never stopped. We sought refuge in the cornfield on the other side of the road. We all made a dash. One of our youngest didn’t make it and joined his father. But the rest of us were at least sheltered from the sun’s burning rays in the tall corn. Night fell and we were very scared. We didn’t know what to expect, so we piled together and remained silent. Our fluffy little friend went missing that night. We don’t know where she went, but she didn’t come back.

Suddenly one of those roaring boxes slowed. We could hear it slowing and finally stopping near where our boy dog lay. We heard the doors open and then close, and then we heard footsteps. We huddled together in the corn, trying to be silent. One set of footprints came closer and then even closer. Getting nervous, the other mama and I rushed out of the corn barking, ready to defend our pups.

A woman talked quietly and soothing to us, but we were too scared and it was so dark. Another woman joined her and they left us huge bowls of food and water. It was so good! We were very hungry and had been for a long time. But then one of the women tried to reach for me. Nothing good had happened the last time someone or really anytime someone reached for me so I gave a growl and a snap, to scare her away. I never touched her with my teeth though, just bumped her with my nose. I wasn’t the kind of dog that would touch a human with my teeth, but I wanted to scare her. She quickly withdrew her hand and talked soothingly again then walked back to her giant crate. They looked back at us and they seemed sad. We were sad too, but at least now we had food and water.

(to be cont.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They Called Me "Little Mean Girl" - Part 2

Part 2

The next day we heard the same sound of the giant crate slowing and finally stopping by our little area. This time they came with little dogs like us on a string. We charged out, but the little dogs seemed happy to be with these women. We barked and charged, but they stayed near so finally we started to relax. They had crates like what we were used to being shut in and we sniffed around them. They also had some really yummy food! It was wet and soft and smelled delicious! We gathered around and even ate some from their hands, but no way were we going to let them touch us and separate our little family. We had been through enough at the hands of humans.
Finally they backed away. The smell of the food in the crates was just too much.

One by one, we went into the crates to taste the food and then when we went to run out, the door was shut on us!!! We went wild in the crates, but couldn’t get out so finally, panting we just lay down. It was very scary. It went on for a really long time. I was worried it was going to get dark and we all weren’t together, but finally our last puppy gave up and came to get the food. She was trapped too.

Suddenly we were all being lifted up into a huge crate and once again we were roaring along. Some of us got sick from the motion and the food we ate. We howled and cried, as the last time this happened we got dumped on the side and lost 3 of our own.

Then the roaring slowed and stopped. We were lifted out in our crates and carried into a big barn. It was warm and smelled of dried grass which was stacked like a mountain in the corner. We were carried into a large cage that had soft wood chips on the floor and our cage doors were opened. There was water and food and they brought us warm blankets. But I still didn’t trust them. We were very dirty and scratching and itching like crazy! I was whining due to the constant itching! Suddenly one of the women tried to touch my back with something. I didn’t know what it was so I lunged at her and snapped. I didn’t know her and she was scaring me!!!!!! Then I felt some liquid drop on my back and since I was eating and the woman was nowhere near me, I didn’t care.

"Little Mean Girl"

(to be continued)...

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Very sad. But luckily some of the dogs made it and were rescued.

Are you the rescuer in all this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They Called Me "Little Mean Girl" - Part 3

Part 3

Part 3
The next day she came to see me again. The itching had stopped a little. Every day they came to see us, bringing good things to eat and wonderful creamy white stuff to lick off her fingers.

I heard them talking. They said they were worried. They were looking at me. They called me “Little Mean Girl”. They said it in a nice voice but their voices had sadness too. I heard them say that even if they couldn’t place us all it would be better than having us die by the side of a road. I didn’t know what that meant, but I was still a little scared.

Soon though, I started to look forward to seeing the women when they came. One day I decided I could trust the one woman and put my front paws on her lap. I got very close to her and looked up into her eyes. She very softly reached for my head and I let her pet me. From that day on I wiggled and wagged when I saw her and tried to climb into her lap. My other two family members did too. They called them Stiltz and Daisy. The woman started putting string on my neck. I didn’t like it, but she would hold the string and call me then give me that wonderful white stuff she called cheese when I came to her. I guess the string wasn’t so bad after all.

"Daisy"

"Scrimpy"

"Scrimpy" again

"Tri-tip"

"T-Bone" (smiling) and "Tri-Tip"

"Little Mean Girl" and "Stiltz"

"Daisy" again

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They Called Me "Little Mean Girl" - Part 4

Part 4

Then one day, the woman came and put the string on and lifted me out of the cage. She put me down and called me and we went outside the big barn. It was sunny and wonderful and I wiggled and jumped and opened my mouth in a big smile! We ran and played and I got to poop and pee away from where I sleep. It was wonderful. Some other people came and I was super happy to see them too. They gave me pets and scritches and it was heaven.

I love the lady that comes to see me. She has some little dogs already that are always with her. They seem unhappy when I am with their lady. I hear her tell them “You guys have everything and these guys have nothing! Please love them.” But her dogs look sad when we are with their mom.

I heard her tell the other woman that she wishes she had a farm of her own so that we could all be spayed and live together forever in little family unit since we are all each other has ever had. I know why she says that too, because when either of us moms leave the cage, our puppies howl with a sorrow that is so sad it makes the woman cheeks wet with tears.

We do our walks several times a day now and I am one happy dog. I am a brave little dog in my nature, not scared of anything. I love everyone. Well, except cats. I like to run after cats! But I am a happy go lucky little dog now with so much love to give that it just pours out of me.

I heard her say to the other lady “We need to find her a new name. She is definitely Sweet Girl or Happy Girl now!” I wagged my tail and leaned up against her with a big puppy smile.

"Daisy"

"Stiltz" or "Big Mama" (her nickname)

"Daisy"

"Little Mean Girl" aka "Little Sweet Girl"

"Little Sweet Girl"

(to be continued...)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They Called Me "Little Mean Girl" - Part 5

Ok, now is the hard part. It is me, the woman in the story. Originally, I had hoped that some miracle would happen and I could somehow keep all these dogs. I even played the lottery, hoping to be able to get property and spay them all and keep them together.

I can see now that they really need to get into their own loving homes where they can be loved and adored, just as my own two are. I could definitely love and adore these dogs, but they are active dogs and vie for my attention. It makes it more difficult to work with them one on one as they cry for me. :(

They are, as best as I can tell, Rat Terrier/Chi mixes. There is one Doxie/Chi mix (Scrimpy). Stiltz is definitely a Rat Terrier. She hunts rats too! Little Sweet Girl is very Chi looking. The pups look like a mix. The dad was a Chi. I think he was most likely the father to the Doxie mix since their coloring is identical. They are active little dogs and sweet and of very good temperment. Daisy, Little Sweet Girl, and Stiltz are all ready for placement, though it will be extremely difficult for me to see any of them go, especially Daisy.

The other three are more shy and will require more work from me before they are ready to find a home, but Scrimpy really came out of her shell with me tonight. She was dying for love from me but so submissive and playful. It was the most endearing thing I have ever seen - how she played with me and was so happy to see me. I think with the right person, Scrimpy will be unbelievable as a pet and companion.

So I am putting it out there. If anyone knows anyone in California (the East Bay preferably) that is interested in these little darlings, please let me know. The two moms do chase cats, but they are so smart and so wanting to please that I think they could be trained, but I wouldn't place them in a home with cats initially.

I need to work with them more to make sure they are well socialized - not just with me - and find out how accepting they are with children.

These dogs have temperaments second to none. Despite being terrified and me having to reach into crates and pull them out to put Advantage on them, none offered to bite (except Little Mean Girl and she was just trying to warn me, not bite). They were so scared they pooped when I was doing it, but they never bit or even tried.

They are unbelievably cute. Daisy is just 5 lbs. Sadly, she broke her leg last night. She was trying to get to me and climbed the wire in the kennel. She jumped down and broke her leg. I think they haven't had proper nutrition and that is why it happened as my tiny, bird-legged chi has jumped from higher and not even been injured. I saw it happen and it was horrific. She was so good though. I scooped her up and canceled my upcomming lesson (I am a horse trainer). My mom drove us to the vet so that I could hold her on my lap. She was an angel in the car - her little ears bent, but being perfectly still, not crying and holding her little leg up.

The vet said as far as breaks go it was in the best possible place and wasn't super bad so they set it. If all goes well, she should be fine in 8 weeks.

Since her leg was broken and I was worried about leaving her in the kennel with her family, I decided to take her home with me. It is obvious she has never been in a house before, but after a few minutes she settled in. She has not had a single accident in the house, though I take her out since she can't get out the dog door. She sleeps through the night in her crate and is sweet, and happy, and docile and I adore her. I want to keep her, but since she is one of the friendliest I may have to adopt her and end up keeping one of the more scared ones.

This has been very hard on me as I love these dogs so much. It hurts to think of even one leaving me, but I am trying to do what is best for them.

If anyone knows an advanced dog owner, who is willing to take some time with these adorable pups and give them an incredible, loving home as part of their family, please message me. I will provide my phone number and we can discuss the dogs.

Thanks for reading my story and the story of only one little family who has known much hardship.

Daisy and cast

Daisy and Peanut "meeting" haha!

Daisy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.