Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't just have...two?

Nope, the OH just said (without even asking him) that whenever we're in the market for a house (the next 2 years or so) we can made TWO new additions.

This is mister "I don't want anymore chihuahuas, two is enough!"

We had always planned to get one big dog when we moved to a big house to add to our two Chi babies but....my OH said he wouldn't mind getting a LC as well! :D:D

It's a miracle! haha.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
How fun! We both grew up with chis and neither of us have ever had more than one at a time and we cannot believe that we are seriously considering a second. We are empty-nesters and this little rascal has become our baby!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
can't stop at 4 either why stop then? hahahaha we seriously just talked about int he future adding a 5th lmao we haven't even got #4 yet! that may all change tho once we have kids

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't really understand only keeping a bunch of just one breed of dog unless one is a breeder.
May I ask why some of you would choose a forth or fith chihuahua over adding another breed of dog?. Not mocking your choices, I am merely curious here.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
haha SO CUTE! I know! I love how the guys think TWO is enough but then they get caught in the love for them as well! How fun and cute!

I don't really understand only keeping a bunch of just one breed of dog unless one is a breeder.
May I ask why some of you would choose a forth or fith chihuahua over adding another breed of dog?. Not mocking your choices, I am merely curious here.
I think it's a love for this breed. I have two already and am getting another in the near future. Some people (most of us here) Just have a love for these little critters that some other dogs just don't have. I LOVE ALL dogs! I really do but I don't think I can ever find a dog like Shayley or Kizzie that's not a Chi. Their personalities are what draw us to them, their looks, their littleness lol. Everything about them I guess I could just go on and on!

I would LOVE a big dog when we move as well but I'll ALWAYS live with a Chihuahua.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having grown up with multiple dogs of different breeds it's not about the TYPE of dog it's the personality.

I personally believe that chihuahuas have the largest personalities of any breed i've owned. I have 2 Chi's currently and both are polar opposites as far as attitude and personality goes.

Our large dog will be the decision of my OH i'm sure, but chihuahuas go well together and there's no sense in not having another if you like the way they look. They're appropriate size for safe play, they're adaptable, and loyal.

My current boy and girl are different body type, different hair type, color etc. It's not like I have the same breed at all, and adding a LC is the same concept.

I have no intention to breed and both mine are spayed, as will the new comers. Chi's are just another creature that needs love, and it takes a special person to love multiples and care for them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Having grown up with multiple dogs of different breeds it's not about the TYPE of dog it's the personality.

I personally believe that chihuahuas have the largest personalities of any breed i've owned. I have 2 Chi's currently and both are polar opposites as far as attitude and personality goes.
Same here. I grew up with my cousins who had 2 black labs, 1 maltese (sp) and 1 Golden, I loved them all just as much but none of them had the personality or close to Shay or Kizz! I just fell deeply in love with the way they act!! Their personalities are just amazing. Their smarts, their sweetness, the way they look at you when you're sad. They know! They are so into their owners and care about how you feel. It's hard to explain but it's easy to know if you have that connection with a Chi.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
maybe when you get a chihuahua you will find out!

i actually have 3 chis and 2 mastiffs I love all but prefer the chis for their personalities, size, looks convenience cheaper to feed, care for etc. I like dressing mine up their ears, their blue eyes their cuteness loyalty how smart they are sheesh i could go on all day

the real question should be WHY wouldn't you get another chi WHY would you get any other breed lol!

we're still considering a french bulldog tho my bfs choice not mine although i think they are cute and i want a huskey, gsd and a few other breeds one day lol

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aw, that's great!! Reminds me of my hubby (who was totally anti little dog 4 years ago) & who said "what the f*** is one more" when I caught him gazing at Mayas pic in the classifieds this past April. :lol:

I agree...it's their personality. I always disliked Chi's but when I realized they were everything I was looking for in a dog...after the first our family realized it was totally our breed. We all love Chi's & I honestly don't ever see us getting anther breed of dog. Sort of like "why try to fix something if it isn't broken". :) Chi's fit perfectly in our lives...why mess with or risk trying to add another breed? We "went through" a few dogs in the past simply because we didn't research the breed or take seriously what the breed was bred for. I feel horribly that we failed to research first & instead added them because they were cute. In the end both us and the dog were totally miserable and we chose to rehome them. Live & learn...the hard way unfortunately. Never again--I think our whole family understands dogs & why they were bred much more once we realized it wasn't the dog...it was us that made the mistakes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love all breeds of dogs but can not imagine sharing my life with another breed. I have 3 girls each one has a completely different personality and that makes life interesting. They have a big personality in a small package. I think they are the perfect dog and why mess with perfection lol.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe when you get a chihuahua you will find out!

i actually have 3 chis and 2 mastiffs I love all but prefer the chis for their personalities, size, looks convenience cheaper to feed, care for etc. I like dressing mine up their ears, their blue eyes their cuteness loyalty how smart they are sheesh i could go on all day

the real question should be WHY wouldn't you get another chi WHY would you get any other breed lol!

we're still considering a french bulldog tho my bfs choice not mine although i think they are cute and i want a huskey, gsd and a few other breeds one day lol
Before we got Gretel, my OH was obsessive about getting a French Bulldog, however. We opted not, because for one they run $4-11k here and they can come with a slew of medical problems primarily because of that adorable smushed up face. They don't live near as long as chihuahuas, and they can be a medical pain-the-the-behind. Adorable yes, affordable by a couple college kids? No.

Aw, that's great!! Reminds me of my hubby (who was totally anti little dog 4 years ago) & who said "what the f*** is one more" when I caught him gazing at Mayas pic in the classifieds this past April. :lol:

I agree...it's their personality. I always disliked Chi's but when I realized they were everything I was looking for in a dog...after the first our family realized it was totally our breed. We all love Chi's & I honestly don't ever see us getting anther breed of dog. Sort of like "why try to fix something if it isn't broken". :) Chi's fit perfectly in our lives...why mess with or risk trying to add another breed? We "went through" a few dogs in the past simply because we didn't research the breed or take seriously what the breed was bred for. I feel horribly that we failed to research first & instead added them because they were cute. In the end both us and the dog were totally miserable and we chose to rehome them. Live & learn...the hard way unfortunately. Never again--I think our whole family understands dogs & why they were bred much more once we realized it wasn't the dog...it was us that made the mistakes.
Yep. When we got Godric Gary specifically said "2 is the limit Amanda, no more. Don't get any ideas from those chihuahua ladies" Yet - last night after showing him Mari's babies.......and a little "awe aren't those LC cuteeeee" he said something to the effect of, yeah, perhaps we can add one to our crew someday.

Lol, of course he still wants a big dog, which so do I, I think he's eyballing Doberman, Great Dane, Lab, and Rottweiler, all great personality dogs if you ask me. We can't have any more pets in our current living state, but i'd think in the next 2-4 years there will be a couple additions :D

I love all breeds of dogs but can not imagine sharing my life with another breed. I have 3 girls each one has a completely different personality and that makes life interesting. They have a big personality in a small package. I think they are the perfect dog and why mess with perfection lol.
Haha, I was NOT NOT NOT a chi person before Gretel. I didn't even necessarily like Gretel at first! But once I held her it was game over. Chi's are supplements to our lives and even if it's just one, I think i'll always have a chi in my life and I know i'm not the only one, nor is it a weird chi-people thing, I know regular people day to day that feel the same.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have 2 chi`s but i can defo feel and 3rd coming on!!
My bf loves them as much as i do they are like our little babies!!!
Ive had no trouble with my chi`s at all, and they are the best of friends..
Do u think a 3rd would get in the way of their friendship? wouldnt want upset them just coz I want another!!! xx :D
View attachment 5325

·
Registered
163 Posts
Indeed they ARE just like potatoe chips. My little Taco is next to me now. Chihuahuas are adorable and addicting.

OCD = Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 2 chi`s but i can defo feel and 3rd coming on!!
My bf loves them as much as i do they are like our little babies!!!
Ive had no trouble with my chi`s at all, and they are the best of friends..
Do u think a 3rd would get in the way of their friendship? wouldnt want upset them just coz I want another!!! xx :D
View attachment 5325
It may, but they will get used to it. Keep in mind, Chis love other Chis.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I definitely agree- chis are soooo addicting!

I've had other breeds in the past while growing up, and I've learned that chihuahuas are definitely my breed. They fit me really, really well.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It may, but they will get used to it. Keep in mind, Chis love other Chis.
Yea im sure they would!
Chi`s defo do love other chi`s!! my youngest Penny barks at every dog she see`s.. it can be a bit embarrasing to be honest! but today we went for a walk with my friends chi who she hasnt met b4 and they were the best of friends running around the beach!! and not 1 bark!! was lovely :D
xxx

·
Registered
74 Posts
i want another chi soooooooooooooooooo bad! mainly because i wanna give marley a playmate and as my boyfriend says it im 'obsessed' with chihuahuas...he wants to get a bigger dog before we get another chi but i disagreee!!! i have my eye on a chocolate tan male for 1200.00 and will be around 2.5 to 3lbs same size as marley the only thing is this lady is charging 1200.00 for them and i paid 800.00 (all in canadian dollars) i dont want to be ripped off so i dont know if this is a reasonable price or not...opinions?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This thread makes me want another chi baby RIGHT NOW! They really are like potato chips, although I only have one right now, and only got her 1.5 months ago! If I wasn't in college and living in an apartment, I'd get another one already. I have grown up with Labs my whole life and never even considered getting a chihuahua! I thought I would hate them because I always thought of them as 'yappy' and 'aggressive'. Then, one day, something snapped inside of me and I wanted a chihuahua more than anything! :) And boy was I SO wrong with what I thought about them! My Roxy is the best little pup ever. Although, I do LOVE LOVE LOVE my labs, I already have plans of getting another Chi in the future. The timing is just wrong for another one right now. Once I graduate college (only one more year!!!!), I'll most likely get another one right away! :) I'm going to school for teaching, so once I have a teaching job and most likely have am engaged or soon to be married (my boyfriend of 4 years now!), we'll definitely be getting a bigger dog or two as well. I'm not stuck on ONLY chis, but I would LOVE more of them. I am so jealous of everyone who has more than one! :) Lucky you!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts