Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so being a new chi person . here is what i ponder on daily. 1. shadow is 2lb. and collars for her are big and so are harness but which one do i really want to use i keep leaning toward the harness because being so little i just don't like the neck thing. 2. shadow had gone to the vet because she was losing her coat and everything was good . but now she is bare under her belly and legs and it is starting to creep around to front of hind legs. and i notice her coat is also thinnier. so is this normal is she already started to get adult coat. should i be going nuts or not ? 3. this potty training thing is confusing to me. it seem for awhile she gets it then bam its under dining room table. yuk and of course when weather allow she loves going outside with the big dogs. but right now in illinois it not going outside weather for her. 4. and then there is the clothes thing. not don't get me wrong i love to dress her up and or see chi dresses up. but right now i think it the losing of coat that make me dress her. and people think i want to out of fun. i say who cares she mine ! and this is what moved me to find a group to discuss these thing with. so if you could help i truly be thankful. becky

·
Registered
384 Posts
mkay.
an answer to #1: i love using a harnest because my little can be bad at times and try to slip out of his if he doesnt like it. and also the neck thing i dont like either. its more secure using a harnest to me.

#2:awww im sorry your babii is loosing some hair. some baby chi's dnt even have underbelly hair. (ive seen some) so its alrite. :)

#3:awww dnt worry, she will soon know. and since under the dining table is her favorite place, maybe yu ought to put a training mat there so she knows only on the mats.

#4: i love to dress up my randy. and chi's are small dogs, they shake when they are cold because they are so small! so no reason not to dress up yur baby! whether for fun, or cold, or in your sitchuation... loosing hair.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You could use a ferrit harness, it should fit and won't hurt her neck.
Some chi's just have very thin coats, but be sure you are feeding a good, quality food. Their coat can suffer if they arn't eating a good food.
It doesn't matter why you dress up your pup, in winter I usually keep a sweater on mine even indoors cause they get a chill and add a coat for outside. But also like to put little t-shirts or dresses on them in summer too, just for fun.
So that being ssaid, welcome to chi-people. everyone on here loves pic's so hope you post some soon.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
1. Use a ferret or a cat harness. Collars are really bad for their fragile necks. Make sure she has had her shots before you take her out, though.
2. What color is Shadow? My blue fawn boy has no hair from his chin to his tail underneath. Gonzo doesn't have any either. It's normal in certain dogs.
3. Trying to keep her in a smaller area so she can't sneak off to do her business is necessary until she is completely trained. Giving her too much freedom at this stage is asking for trouble. Can you contain her in one room with you? That way you can watch her and when she starts circling to go, you can immediately put her on her pad. Once she goes, praise, praise, praise. lol
4. Every morning during the winter, Gonzo comes to me to ask for me to put his coat on. He has a problem with cold. Some extra cold mornings, he tries to put the coat on himself. lol It's ok to dress them in the winter, they are dogs that adore the heat. Cold weather is not for them. If you want to dress them up in the summer, too, that's is your choice. Personally, I just dress for the weather, but she's your dog, you can do with her what you like. Just make sure she doesn't mind, though. Some of mine really hate to be dressed up even in the cold

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts