Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking about my future chi and what I'll need/want for him. I thought of a harness, collar, water and food dishes, car seat, crate (may just use one of my dog's crates though), and dog clothes, which I have some for when he's older, but I need smaller sizes for when he's little.

I know I'm probably forgetting things. Can anyone else think of what I'll need/want for him? I already have a leash, potty pads, loads of toys, and other general dog things like blankets, brushes, dog pillows and 'beds'.

As you can tell I'm bored and obsessed with thinking of future chi :p :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
hahahaha, well you forgot alittle TCL, but that'll come naturally. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, yeah, love, training, and food of course. Maybe treats for training.. I much prefer praise instead though. But I guess training might be easier with treats, or some sorts of training, like if he has trouble learning to potty train. I just don't want him to learn to be demanding and expect food when he does a trick/goes potty... Riley is like that, she wants a treat every time she goes potty and barks until my mom gives it to her, which I don't agree with.

·
Registered
384 Posts
lol, yeah, love, training, and food of course. Maybe treats for training.. I much prefer praise instead though. But I guess training might be easier with treats, or some sorts of training, like if he has trouble learning to potty train. I just don't want him to learn to be demanding and expect food when he does a trick/goes potty... Riley is like that, she wants a treat every time she goes potty and barks until my mom gives it to her, which I don't agree with.

lol thats cute, but true.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For me chi planning was a welcome diversion from stressers. I'd read my chi books almost every night before I went to bed.
I found that when I was buying stuff for planned chi, I kept adding things to the list.
Lets see...

I've read dental care for toy breed dogs is important so I'd add some kind of dental
rinse, dental pads or toothbrushes. Apparently they have large teeth for their size or something like that. It does seem there's a few with no teeth left and their tongue hangs out.

Going from what I've read, experts feel free to correct me:

- Something for chewing, especially if you are getting a puppy.
- Some form of ID.
- A carrier of some kind. I see you have some crates already.
- Medical kit/supplies are good.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
All these things listed are good to have on hand for your new chi, but in my opinion the most important item of all is not on your list.

What do you plan to feed your new dog? Do yourself a favor, and start your puppy off right by feeding it the most superior food that you can afford. People here feed a variety of different foods, everything from raw to kibble, dehydrated to grain free, but the one thing I think everyone here agrees with is that the importance of superior food cannot be stressed enough! An excellent diet is essential to health and well being.

Go to dogfoodanalysis.com. Do your homework. Research the difference in the quality of the foods available toy our pup. There are other research sites too, but this will get your started.

Good luck with your future puppy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good ideas! I'll have to get a toothbrush and ID. I have carriers-both normal plastic ones and the material ones you normally see people carrying chi's in. And I have lots of chew toys my dogs got too old for (they'd have chewed them to pieces in an instant so I thought it better to save them for a puppy).

What kinds of medical supplies?

I'd read my chi books almost every night before I went to bed.
Oh that reminds me! I want to get Chihuahuas for Dummies. Anyone know whether that's a good book?

I have 5 dogs so I already have food.. although I just realized, I'll need puppy food, right? I'll probably get Wellness (puppy stage)... I'll have to look into other good puppy foods though. I've used dogfoodadvisor that also rates foods and know that Wellness is listed as a 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts