Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing petfinder, breeder sites etc just for fun and I found a chocolate and white chi girl a couple moths ago. She had heartworm and was going to go through treatment. It really just broke my heart, the previous ownder had kept her and another chi outside their entire lives!

A few nights ago I checked and she is still at the shelter and its pretty close by. I went ahead and contacted them via email and am going to call tomorrow to see about meeting her. She is about a year or so old so not really a puppy anymore. I've never got a dog already grown up, I am wondering if we end up getting her how to introduce her to my three. I don't want to traumatize this poor chi in any way as she's had such a hard time so far in life. Any tips on rescue in general?

Pepper came from a puppy mill via a pet store, Midna was from a breeder, and Coco was from an aquaintence's oopsy litter of puppies (she looks full chi, but we have no idea.) So I just want to make sure I do everything right in deciding to get this dog should we be lucky enough to be chosen.

Here's a pic from the site, she is so adorable!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
omg she is adorable!!!!!! she would love to be at your house I bet!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aww she's beautiful! Not that I'm partial to chocolates or anything.

All I can say about rescue is that it's one of the most rewarding things you'll ever experience!! I hope everything goes well. The only advice I'd give is as with a lot of rescues who had a hard start in life, don't judge too much by her first impression.. she'll probably be fairly shy and just generally a little shaken up by being in a shelter and all the changes in environment; but it won't take long after coming home that they settle in and their true personality shines through.

For introducing her, just make sure to do so in a neutral environment, one where your current pups don't feel territorial or protective. And let them meet on their level, not holding them since to them that physical state of being 'higher' means a lot as far as status. They'll develop their own 'hierarchy,' as long as you establish yourself and they acknowledge you as alpha, the rest will fall into place. Good luck!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
She is a cutie! Good advice has been given. I would ask lots of questions, is she an alpha female, does she have any temperament issues, how does she act around other dogs, cat, children, etc...?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh my goodness, what a little doll baby! She's gorgeous! I love her little face. :)

Kat has given good advice as far as the first meeting goes and I agree about being patient. Patience is crucial as most of these dogs have been through a lot and are confused and scared. You won't see her true personality for a bit. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. I think it's lovely that you want to adopt her. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent in my formal application today, hopefully they contact me soon to let me know something. I am so nervous!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Both of mine are rescues. I cannot begin to tell you how rewarding it has been.

Pedro is a Chi / Cairn terrier mix - he was 3 years old when we got him. He was abused by children, so he had lots of trust issues. He was actually deemed 'unadoptable' by the shelter that had him, and the only reason he hadn't been put down was because the shelter manager had a soft spot for him. When I walked in the door that day, I was literally drawn to his cage - he was the only one who wasn't barking or responding to me in any way other than looking at me with those huge sad brown eyes.

He has come so very far...He was a fear biter, and would try to attack any children we came in contact with. He had also never been around a man at all, and I am married to one of those! The shelter didn't realize this was a problem. My husband figured it out real quick - he was bitten several times! Thank goodness he saw through that tough facade and felt enough compassion for Pedro to let us work through it. We did, and now he loves my husband almost as much as he loves me. We're still working on his fear of children, but we're making real progress. He is the sweetest little guy I've ever seen, and my heart just melts everytime I look at him and think that they were going to put him to sleep.

Gracie was just 5 months old, and was given up because her previous owners 'couldn't do anything with her'. She's one of the smartest little dogs I've ever seen, and is capable of doing anything, as long as you're capable of teaching her. We had her housetrained within 2 weeks, and she can learn any new trick you try to teach her within minutes. She's spoiled rotten and she's the light of my husband's life - a man who swore he'd never have a 'little yippy lap dog'.

I hope your experience with this little girl is as wonderful as ours has been. She will worm her way under your skin and you will never look back.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zippy is a rescue Chi and he is the best dog ever!

Thumbs up to you for wanting to give a needy dog a good home! :hello1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts