Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Chi.

I live in an apartment. I work from mid afternoon until midnight. It's just me so on my days off I have to run around alot.

My concern. Do you think that the breed would do ok being left alone during my work hours? I live in an apartment so I can't have a dog that might bark or cry all night while I'm gone.

I grew up with german shepherds and have not had a small dog since childhood (boston terrier).

I went to the pet store today and saw a teacup that just made me melt. I explained my living situation to the worker. He was like "they are a yappy breed and completely dependent..you'll have no peace"..(I could kind of tell he wasn't a fan of the breed). But honestly the one I was looking at was pretty chilled out :)

I am looking for a lap type dog that is not completely hyper...a more chilled out dog. Are there chi's that are more laid back and calm ?

I just think they are heart melting. But I'd hate to get a dog that is not going to be compatible with my lifestyle when it could go to home that is better for it?

Can you guys help. Thank you :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

There is actually no such thing as a Teacup Chihuahua only Long Coat and Smooth Coat.

Most pet shops no matter what they tell you get their pups from puppy mills and when you buy a pup from them it is basically supporting the puppy mill industry :-(. Also you do not know where in the world your pup comes from or how large the parents are or what type of temperament/health issues they may have.

It would be according to how many hours you work. Also any puppy is going to cry at night and probably when left alone for a while when you first get them, it takes patience with a puppy. You may want to consider adopting an older Chihuahua that has a more laid back personality if you are concerned about them being hyper as with a puppy you really never know how they will turn out ;-)

With all that being said, if you socialize your Chi at young age and train the pup and continue established alpha status with your Chi then there is no reason in the world you should not have one in an apartment ;-)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your main question I'm going to let someone more experienced answer.
I'm just going to say please don't buy a puppy from a petstore (as they mostly come from puppymills just in case you didn't know already).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Chi's are clingy, can be hyper, but also are sweet, and mellow when cuddling.

The yappy dogs everyone refers too are generally teh dogs that are left to do their own thing, ( IE not trained) and unsocialized. If you put the work in the first year of their life, you'll have a lovely chi, who might not gush over everyone they meet ( but very well could) but at least not bark and bite them. Its very easy to see a baby chi as a helpless lap dog that needs to be cuddled and given everything it wants. it's still a dog.

Chi's are alert barkers. they make excellent alarm systems, as i'm sure many here will tell you lol. but if you start work early on letting them bark once or twice, then distracting and treating you can usually keep it under control.

Lots of people work regular hours with chi's, i don't think it would be an issue. although i would reccomend a long walk, or heavy play session about an hour before. at least while its a puppy. that way it won't be looking for activity or what not while your gone. also would reccomend kennel training, or X-pen kind of thing. save your furniture ;)

My two have their times when they are super clingy. usually in the morning, neither are "morning dogs" and want to just cuddle and finish sleeping. I taught Salem long ago a " go lay down" command, and generally he listens, sometimes he just wants to cuddle, and is more persistent. but thats out of the norm. but heaven forbid i sit on the couch ;) i'm fair game then! lol

Just remember puppy with any dog is puppy. its a high activity time for them, so what he or she is like the first year might not be as hyper as they are at say 3. Just treat the chi as a small GSD ;) Don't let them get away with things you wouldn't let a bigger dog get away with ( except lap time hehe and cuddly things like that)

Just be ready for sneaky-ness, a butt ton of adorable attitude, some of the best cuddles in the dog world, manipulation, and some of the greatest quirks ever. they are stubborn and add that to being great manipulators they keep you on your toes. but it really is a GREAT breed when raised right!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your main question I'm going to let someone more experienced answer.
I'm just going to say please don't buy a puppy from a petstore (as they mostly come from puppymills just in case you didn't know already).
yes that too! Look for a breeder, honestly it would probably be cheaper, for a better quality and healthier puppy!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think that dogs are "dependent" if the owner allows and teaches them to be so. If you never allow your chihuahua to be a dog and to amuse themselves then yes, they could grow up to be anxious, too dependent dogs. My chihuahua was adopted at a year old and has been fine with being home for hours. I do have other dogs in the house but they are lose in the house and Lilo, the chihuahua, is crated. I live alone too and am a student so my dogs can be alone for 8 hours or so a day. They do fine with this, including the chihuahua.

A puppy will probably cry and fuss some when they first come home and you are crate or x-pen training. This is normal and if you can stick it out for the first few days and not give in to the noise they can learn that crying and barking gets them nothing and being quiet and good gets the attention.

If that amount of crying isn't okay then an older rescue might be just the way to go for you. That way you know their personality.

I will also chime in with please, please, please don't get a dog from a petstore. Those poor dogs come from puppy mills and if you aren't familiar with puppy mills and the problems with them you can google search for more info. Look into a rescue or a puppy from a good reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the info include puppy mills.

So if I crate the dog while at work, it will be able to hold it? I can't come home. Are they slow at training? Do you let your dog sleep in the bed with you at nite or the crate? Also, do they shed a lot? Any problems with allergies?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its been my experience, which isn't finite at all, but that short hairs tend to shed a bit more then long hairs. but its sort of the equivelant of like a lab shedding at seasons.

and honestly about holding it? probably not, make sure everything is washable ;) at least not at first. And also been my experience most chi's have a firm grasp of outside potty-ing at about a year, puppy pad training ( with small dogs isn't near as baad as a 15 lb puddle ;) ) usually goes much quicker. its a stubborn thing, and a not letting you know issue verses a "dumb" issue or a not getting it. generally puppies need let out about once every hour or two.

and as far as training they are incredibly smart, but again manipulative. my salem knows how to sit. but getting him to do it is on his time. he doesn't gave the drive to please me as much as other chi's. its all on them really. some people on this forum teach their pups amazing tricks, Salem got stalled on his half hearted sit's ;) he knows tons of what i call "manner" commands, like get down, no sniff ( no begging) leave it.

as for allergies i have none soo not a good person to ask

·
Registered
809 Posts
Whether or not they can hold it while you are at work depends on the age of the dog and the training done. If you get a puppy of any breed, chihuahua or GSD, they won't be able to hold it for that long. It takes time to learn about pottying outside and they have to physically mature before the bladder sphincter becomes strong enough for them to be able wait.

Again, my chihuahua is about 2 now and at 1 year of age she could hold it for about 6 hours, that number was limited some by her understanding, not physical ability. Now she is completely crate trained and can hold it just fine for 8 hours during the day and 9 or so at night. She is in her crate during the day when I'm gone and again at night while I'm sleeping. I don't allow dogs in bed with me, it's just my personal preference.

Lilo might not be a rocket scientist (she lives with 3 border collies so that's a lot of intelligence to compete with) but she's plenty bright. Knows obedience commands, is doing agility and is a funny little girl.

Lilo is what I would call a semi-long coat. She has some feathering on her back legs and longer hair than the short coats but no where near the long, long coats of the true long coated ones. She does shed some but, again being in a house with 3 other dogs who are larger with a lot more hair, her shedding is hardly noticeable.

I am not allergic to dogs but I would bet it's like any dog. If you are allergic you will be more sensitive to some individuals than others. I would recommend an adult if you have allergies so you can tell how you are going to react to that individual dog. No dog is hypo-allergenic so you are going to have to experiment.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My only advice would be DO NOT BUY from a pet store. Go to a rescue organization and get a young adult who is already potty trained, maybe crate trained, and used to being alone for a while. They are out there and you skip all the puppy training and know what you are getting from the start. Good luck.

Jeanette

·
Registered
86 Posts
I let Nugget stay in my bedroom while I'm at work. He has potty pads, but he usually waits until I get home and take him outside.

The clerk who told you chihuahuas are a "yappy breed" is a dolt. Nugget almost never barks. Know why? Because I trained him properly. That said, he's still a dog, and needs to let a few barks out once in a while.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think if you are going to leave your dog for more than an hour or so, it should have an exercise pen that includes its water and food , his crate or bed, and a potty pad. It would be very hard for a puppy to be crated for a long period of time. You can find exercise pens on walmart.com for very reasonable prices and they can be set up in your kitchen or on a rugged area with a tarp on top of the rug. You could also include a chew rope or safe chewy for entertainment.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I don't think they are hard to train...to POTTY PADS. My Asia is 12 weeks old and has been 100% consistent with no accidents for a WEEK now. She is the youngest I've been successful with. But don't expect your dog to hold it and DO NOT leave it in a crate...a pen, maybe, if you are gone that long, but eventually you will let it have run of a room, or two, or as many as it can successfully handle with potty pads. If you don't like the idea of potty pads, well, no, your chi likely will not be able to hold it all day. But if you can accept that it will succesfully use it's "indoor toilet" then you might be ok. Chis can be yappy, some are, some aren't. I have half and half.

We leave ours at home during the day but are able to let them out at lunch. Still, they'd be fine if we couldn't, they'd just use their potty pads. They have chewies, water, toys, blankets, a space heater, a heated bed, snuggle sacks and each other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts