Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago we bought our (male) chihuahua named Dobson, In Phenoix, AZ. We have done a some research, and are thinking of possibly purchasing a female. We Live in IL, about 40mins south of Chicago. And are wondering where would be a good source of more information on breeding and anywhere in our area for purchasing.

(should we buy through personal breeders, or petstores, etc?) Our little "Dobbie" has his AKC papers and pediagree; were hoping to find a mate with the same. How do you know if papers are authentic, gentic, etc.?

Our little guy is roughly 7 1/2lbs, White and cream, and full of energy. He has a wonderful disposition, and friendly attitude. We have also read however that there is some sort of disqualification if a Chi is over 6lbs...we're not quite sure what this means?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
if a chi is over 6 pounds it just means that they cannot be ever entered in any shows etc .

hi and welcome by the way . :wave:

In order to use dobbie as the stud you are going to need a female that is 8 plus pounds as the bitch needs to be bigger than the male - the only way you will know this is if you buy a older bitch maybe from a rescue or from breeders they sometimes have dogs that they are finished with and are selling on.

I do not advocate breeding unless you think you are bettering the breed as there are lots of chihuahuas out there who are desperate for a loving home and the more puppies we make the less likely they are to get there forever home :(

but if its something you are determined to do I wish yu the best of luck you certaily seem like you are researching well, we have quite a few memebers who are breeders and a special breeders section you will need to PM Mia the board administrator for access to this section though. :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Dobbie sure sounds like a great fella. :) Clare gave you some great advice already, so I'll just re-iterate. By the way, I live near Peoria, Illinois so I am not too far from you. :)

The female should definitely be larger than the male. Chihuahua puppies tend to have big heads which can cause the mother to be more prone to having a C-Section. If the mother is more than 4.5 pounds and is larger than the father this greatly reduces that risk.

If a Chihuahua is over 6 pounds, the AKC will not "recognize" them. You can still get AKC papers but you would not be allowed to show them.

I will PM you about a lady in Illinois who is a breeder. I also know a breeder near Chicago that I will PM you about.

Here is a good webpage to teach you more about breeding Chihuahuas. Good luck whatever you decide:

http://members.aol.com/moon449415/Page5.htm

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Just thought that I would mention that you might have a hard time selling those pups also. Most people want the smaller chi's under 6 pounds. If both parents are over 6 pounds most likely the pups will be also.
But if you are going to keep them all, then it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today a local dealer, unfortunately, they only had two males left, at the age of 11 weeks. We headed up to a Nursery called Alsip, where we have boughten ferrets in the past.

We found a 8 week old, female. She was mostly black with wt and brwn markings. She fit our ideal apperance, and was some what bigger. We are still undecided about breeding, we weighed dobbie last night and he came to 6 1/2 lbs. We are not sure if it about actual bulk or more of size and muscle tone?
Dobbie's not fat, just sturdy and defined.

Anyways, The head lady of the pet department said the dog wasnt AKC registered, nor did they have a pedigree, though she could possibly get the pedigree from the kennel she purchased him from. SHe knew where the dog had been breed <MO> and could probably get the papers for us within a day or so. However she said that the little female was APR registered...we looked it up and found American Purebreed Regristry. They were asking 800$ for her, we are sort of weary because we are unfamilar with the APR agency. The woman told us also any offspring they may produce cannot be AKC registered but can be ARP registered. And that sometimes private breeders go through ARP because its cheaper and less hassel than AKC.

We were wondering If this ARP is as respectable as she try to sell it as. And if we should purchase the dog anyways, even if we are unsure of breeding.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I have never heard of it - but I would never buy a dog from a pet shop as they are usually supplied by puppy mills - why not go to a proper breeder Im sure it wouldnt cost you 800 dollars either and you will also have better idea of size as you can see parents etc :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Aww....a new puppy! How is Dobbie taking to her so far? Good luck! :wave:

I found a little info online about APR:

http://www.lvpets.com/info/registry.htm

http://www.ilmorescue.org/Registry.htm says, in part:
The American Purebred Registry was founded in 1979 to assist folks with "Lost registration papers". To register a pup or dog with them, they require that you submit the usual information, i.e., name, sex, breed, color, B/D, etc., then sign an application attesting to the validity of information provided. Again, all pertinent information is provided by the owner or breeder of the dog. In their own words, "When an application is received by our office and accepted, we issue a registration certificate. From that moment on the animal is considered a registered animal." I have personally purchased mutts from auctions which were registered as purebred with APR. Often, they do not even resemble the breed.

Cost: $10.00, check or money order.

Or you can read more about the registries at their websites:
http://www.akc.org/
http://americanpurebred.com/

·
Registered
155 Posts
registries

APR is a registry but if you plan on breeding then AKC is your best bet. Lots of people will not consider your dogs unless they are AKC. Actually AKC means nothing but people think it does!It is way easy to get AKC papers for dogs that aren't AKC registerable if you know how. It goes on all the time more often then you think. Lots of breeders got fed up with AKC and switched to APR and ACA but alot of people have AKC stuck in their heads as the only true registry so that is what they buy.

Just a bit of info... AKC papers and pedigrees in some cases does not mean purebred.

I don't agree with AKC but for breeding purposes at this time in our world... I would choose only AKC dogs because that's what would sell.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chico is registered trough Ameria's Per Registry, Inc. - APRI. http://www.aprpets.org/main/modules.php?name=FAQ Which is different than the APR.

I had never heard of it before getting him. Since I plan to have him neutered, it doesn't matter to me, but until these other agencies get better known most people only know AKC and will expect papers from them.

I also agree with Cuddles....it's so easy to get AKC papers on anything with hair! When I was breeding Min-Pins I saw dogs with excellent AKC pedigrees that looked nothing like the MP standard.

I don't know if anyone else is like me but I tried to find Chi or Chi cross puppies for months but there were none to be found within a 200 mile radius. Buying a registered pup was my last resort, no matter where the registration came from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not 100% sure if it was American Purbred Reg. I just know she said APR.
We have seen lots of mix chis on the net, and other sorts such as chinese chi.

Another question...how long do small tea-cup chi's live? We've heard from somewhat shorter, to only a few years.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Dobson there is no such thing as a tea cup chi - this is just a name given to the runt of the litter they often have health problems and do not live long but are sold for alot more money :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again with the teacup thing Clare :shock: LOL anyways, as someone mentioned a few posts up, APR could be APR INC which is America's Pet Registry, Chiquita has papers through there. I don't really care about papers, nor do alot of people around here in Dallas, if its a Chihuahua, they will buy it. José is CKC registered, neither one of them really mean anything. I wouldn't buy a dog from a pet shop, they usually come from puppy mills, and buy paying $800, you are just supporting their business and it will continue. I wouldn't pay $800 for a dog, both of mine together didn't even cost $800, but that is just my opinion. Try www.petfinder.com there are plenty of adorable chi's/mixes that need homes, and they are just as sweet. Best of luck!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Im sure to be a pain but I do think people need educating on the myth surrounding tea cup chihuahuas - sorry if that annoys you all :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Certainly not to offend anyone but "APR" or "APRI" are fabricated registeries used mainly by millers to sell to clients who believe in having a "registered" dog, the registration is no better then the paper its written on. Now, thats not to say that the AKC hasn't gone down hill in recent years as far as who and what it will register so its all buyer beware.

Fundamentally, if you are seriously considering becoming a breeder, find a reputable breeder in your area to mentor you. Visit dog shows, learn the standard inside and out. Breeding dogs is a timely & costly decision to make espcially if there are complications. Do your homework and educate yourself about genetic testing and what precautions reputable chi breeders take to ensure healthy puppies. Then evaluate whether you have what it takes to be successfully. Its not as simple as having a male and female dog and letting nature take its course.

·
Registered
996 Posts
ozzysmom said:
Im sure to be a pain but I do think people need educating on the myth surrounding tea cup chihuahuas - sorry if that annoys you :shock:
[I dont think she was getting annoyed, as it looked like joking to me with the 'LOL' at the end........]

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
no I know I dont think she was been annoyed either she was joking and so was I - we both have a pet peeve about teacup which is why we both said that :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hahaha, I'm not annoyed... Clare lets go have a cup o' java shall we?? :coffee: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally I would not buy from a pet shop, yes they probably r coming from a puppy mill, but the chance of them having Parvo is very high. U only have so many days if your dog gets sick to get your money back, and usually its after that date that they actually start getting sick. Your male is way 2 big, u would have to have a female much larger and I agree--people are buying chi's because it is a small breed. Thats what they are looking 4. We also thought of breeding, but changed our minds. Unless u have a lot of help or already know what u r doing----it is dangerous for your dog. U never know what could happen. Anyway, it sounds like u have a nice male, good luck with your decision

1 - 20 of 22 Posts