Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Ive been thinking about getting another chi, i have 2 now one is 9 years old and my other is 8 months.

I have never had a girl dog before only boys. so would just like some advice really, What happens with seasons etc?

As i already have two boys would it be a bad idea to bring a girl pup in?

Also both my boys are intact, would this be a problem until she is spayed? as i would not want the girl to have a litter.

If i do decide to get a girl i would not start looking till next year.

Thought i would ask for opinions and advice now as once i have got her it will be to late if problems occur.

thanks everyone :):D

·
Registered
84 Posts
It is not my business but why have you not fixed the boys? I have a male that is not fixed but am making an apointment. For only one reason. testicular cancer. Especially your 8 year old.They are so vulnerable to cancer. Gandalf (my male) goes everywhere with me. He does not even go potty without me. Until I talked to my vet. Never crossed my mind about the cancer issue. And maybe help with your questions. If you get a female, have her spayed before her first heat,which is the only time she can get pregnant. That way you do not have any heat cycles, which means no bleeding. They usually have their first heat at around 6 months. The surgery can be done with a lazer. By the next day you can't keep her down. I hope this helped. Only other option is spaying your boys and deal with th heat cycle.But then again uterine cancer is a possibility. Think long and hard before you get another Chi. I have two and they are a total responsability. Hope this helped you some.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had another chi that had only one testicle, so he had to be done and he became very fat after even though he was still fed the same,

So that put me off really, my other chi is only 8 months so when he goes back to the vet for his booster i may talk it through with them abit more.

Thanks for your advice, this is why i am asking long before i even stsrt looking for another so i know what ever my decision it will be the right one.

xx

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
There are plenty here who have a mix of boys and girls. I had only boy chis my whole life so went a little crazy to now have 3 girls!

I would be certain to get her spayed as soon as possible. For her health and because it is incredibly difficult for intact males to be living where there is a girl in heat even if they are in separate parts of the home. I, personally, would neuter them and spay her.

Getting my second was a breeze and the best thing we did. It was no more work than having one. Surprisingly, the third has not been nearly as much work as I imagined! We got her a bit older at 8 months and it has just taken her 6 weeks to be potty pad trained just like the others.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you get a female, by all means get her spayed at 6 months old. An intact female with 2 males during her season will be total chaos for you. It'll go on for 3 weeks, twice a year. Your boys may even start fighting because of it. If you decide to go ahead, good luck with your search!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions.

I would definately get her spayed as soon as she is able to.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have a male and female dog, both fixed. I think they really get along well.

Neutering a dog will not make him fat. Sometimes you need to start feeding less after a spay/neuter, because their metabolism slows down after surgery. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting your boys neutered.

Good luck finding your new puppy! :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ditto what Missy said. (I feel like I should just have that phrase on "Paste" with as much as I use it LOL)

Dogs gaining weight after surgery is one of the biggest "myths," and I am putting "myths" in quote for a reason. Neutering or spaying CAN slow down their metabolism. So if the owner continued to feed them the same, as in your case; they will put on weight. It's one of those things that is up to the owner really to nip in the bud before it becomes an issue... start monitoring /measuring their intake and adjust as needed until you figure out how much they need to eat as an adult. Also, puppies in general have tons of energy, sot hey are always burning off calories...but as a dog matures it may not be as active on it's own and need the owner to step in and encourage exercise or playtime too. So, although I have heard of dogs putting on weight after surgery I'm not sure people realize how much of it is in the hands of the owner. So I don't like to call it a myth, since it does HAPPEN, just a lot of factors that take part lol.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've always thought the weight gain after neutering is a coincidence because it is normally done about the age that dogs start to need less food anyway due to no longer being a puppy. I got Charlie neutered when he was seven months old, which was three months ago and he hasn't gained any weight. But I do measure his food to keep track of how much I'm feeding him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.