Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mia's hair is getting kinda thin in a few spots,
and in those spots her skin looks kinda dry.
i looked all over her... but i didnt see any fleas.
i dont know what it could be.
any ideas?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thinning hair

My Yorkie is allergic to fleas and he loses his hair when he gets them on him. Since he is longhaired he looks like his hair is just thin. I keep him bathed and frontline on him but it doesnt always work so he does have spells where he will lose his hair and the vet gives me medicine for it. Just something you may want to look into.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It could be Red Mange (Demodex). I would get a scraping done at the vet's just to rule this out. Tucker had Demodex, and our Labrador, Molly, had it as a pup, too. It's treatable, and is not contagious to humans or other animals.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
TuckersMom said:
It could be Red Mange (Demodex). I would get a scraping done at the vet's just to rule this out. Tucker had Demodex, and our Labrador, Molly, had it as a pup, too. It's treatable, and is not contagious to humans or other animals.
demodectic mange isn't contagious? i thought both sarcoptic and demodectic was contagious to both humans and other animals??

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
TuckersMom said:
demodectic mange isn't contagious? i thought both sarcoptic and demodectic was contagious to both humans and other animals??
Sarcoptic Mange is contagious, but Demodectic mange is not because it is actually a problem with the immune system that can't fight off the effects of the demodex mite.

"Whether or not Demodex causes harm to a dog depends on the animal's ability to keep the mite under control. Demodectic mange is not a disease of poorly kept or dirty kennels. It is generally a disease of young dogs that have inadequate or poorly developed immune systems or older dogs that are suffering from a depressed immune system."

See this article

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=729

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Ms_P said:
luv4mygirls said:
TuckersMom said:
Sarcoptic Mange is contagious, but Demodectic mange is not because it is actually a problem with the immune system that can't fight off the effects of the demodex mite.

"Whether or not Demodex causes harm to a dog depends on the animal's ability to keep the mite under control. Demodectic mange is not a disease of poorly kept or dirty kennels. It is generally a disease of young dogs that have inadequate or poorly developed immune systems or older dogs that are suffering from a depressed immune system."

See this article
ah ok thanks :wave: i seen an episode of animal precinct (pre recorded and watched last night) and the dog's ahd demodectic mange (all the pups in the litter) and they were so bad they euthanized them and i knew that in real bad cases of it euthanasia is best but i didn't know it wasn't contagious. hmm ya learn somethin knew every day...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
she is just over 3 months old.
i have her a bath, and when she was wet i looked for fleas.
i only saw 1...
so...i dont know

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you guys reccomend that i put on her to keep the fleas away?
i dont know what will be safe or gentle enough for her.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You might want to check with your vet's office by giving them a call. We have always used Advantage ever since Tucker was a couple of months-or-so old. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
frontline, revolution advantage...... call your vet and see which they recommend. also with her age she could be begining to blow her puppy coat. plus the flea allergy on top of it....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
or you can try a shampoo :wave:

kisses nat
if she's got itchy skin the flea shampoo's can be a bit too harsh on it. if you use the d' limonene (sp?) it works the best and is most gentle on their skin. get your baby on a flea preventative soon cause where there are fleas, worms are right around the corner.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks 4 all the advice.
the vet said to put advantage on her....
so i did that.
and she has an appointment a week from today to see if it gets any better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts