Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to bring Chico to one, but never did and this is why. I just read an article on my local news website about how the owners of small dogs are getting into fights with the owners of big dogs because people don't comprehend that its not how "nice" your dog is, its their size that can really hurt a small dog.

there's 3 sections at this one dog park...one for big dogs, one for small dogs, and one section to be used in case another section is being worked on. but people are just putting their big dogs in with the small dogs and it's all bordering on fist fights between the people and the language they use towards each other is TERRIBLE! Imagine having your child at one of these parks with your dog and what was meant to be a nice and fun day turns into a screaming match. i mean, it's common sense...have some respect and keep the big dogs separated from the small dogs...how hard is it?

now, i'm sure there are many many great dog parks, i'd love to find one without ignorant people in it. i'd love for Chico to meet other chi's and play with them...but it looks like i'm out of luck.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yikes!! I was actually trying to find one up here but am thinking I will pass now! As over-protective as I am of Angel, it would not be a good thing if things like that happened. :shock:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There's a chihuahua meetup group in Las Vegas. http://chihuahua.meetup.com/147/ You might have better luck with them.

I completely despise dog parks. I've been to a few with friends of mine and I've noticed most people take their dogs there to help them score a date with someone, not to let their dog have fun.

I know Las Vegas has a leash law but do they have "leash-free" areas outside of a fenced dog park? In Austin, we have a couple dog parks and several areas of parks in town that are "leash-free". They call them dog parks but they're not - they're just areas of the park where your dog can be free of a leash. I have found that, in Austin, the leash-free areas are usually frequented by more conscientious dog owners whereas the people in the fenced dog parks don't really care.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
they should have three kind of dog parks ......small....medium ...and large :D :D problem solved !!!
maybe we all should write to the town hall :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
i dont like dog parks either not to mention you will have people that WONT clean up after themselves

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't like dog parks for the same reason. I take my two to the people parks and keep them on leashes. I call it Doggie Church! :D I usually take them once a week on Sunday's if the weather is nice.

Leslie

·
Registered
663 Posts
We don't have any dog parks in my area...I really wish we did. :( We have a small city park that a lot of people walk their dogs in, but it's got playground equipment for children (which I would steer clear from with my little girl!). A lot of people walk their dogs around the Main St. section of town after the business close. It's a nice little track and really peaceful. I can't wait to take her out, but I'm waiting for her to finish her shots first. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cooper said:
There's a chihuahua meetup group in Las Vegas. http://chihuahua.meetup.com/147/ You might have better luck with them.

I completely despise dog parks. I've been to a few with friends of mine and I've noticed most people take their dogs there to help them score a date with someone, not to let their dog have fun.

I know Las Vegas has a leash law but do they have "leash-free" areas outside of a fenced dog park? In Austin, we have a couple dog parks and several areas of parks in town that are "leash-free". They call them dog parks but they're not - they're just areas of the park where your dog can be free of a leash. I have found that, in Austin, the leash-free areas are usually frequented by more conscientious dog owners whereas the people in the fenced dog parks don't really care.
thx for the web site referral...i check it out and it says nobody has stepped up to organize a meet-up. although i would love to have a meet-up, i wouldn't be able to organize one. i don't know the first thing about it and i have a little social anxiety problem. i'd go to one, just not host one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My dog keiki, is a pit/lab mix and she is the sweetest thing alive. I used to take her to the dog park all the time when i still lived with her and my mom in Nor Cal. The dog park up there was beautiful, it was almost as big as a football field! It was built in a memorial park for the man who died on Sept 11 in one of the flights as he was from our town. The park is beautiful, its on a hill overlooking the city and oh its so pretty! At first they had just one big place for all the dogs but after a small dog was killed at a neighboring park (a big dog fell on it) they made a small area that is just for small dogs. It clearly states that it is for small dogs only. Most people bring there small dogs into the big dog park which i guess isnt that bad as long as the small dog owner is aware of the risks. I want to find a park for bella and the new pup but once they are old enough and big enough. I wont bring them in if there are big dogs but hopefully they have small dog park somewhere.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
Grrrr :twisted: its terrible I mean how many small dogs have been killed just by playing with big dogs :cry:
I know, my point exactly. I mean, I am in no way trying to insult large dogs. Heck, large dogs is all I've ever had...Chico is my very first small dog ever! And it's definitely NOT the dogs fault in these situations, it's the owners fault. How hard is it to keep your larger dog away from a smaller dog? Especially with different sections designated for their size?

I don't know what these people's problems are though. Do they think it's cute for their 50+ pound dog to be chasing and rolling around on a 6 pound dog? Now, I am in no way a violent person...but let me tell you, if someone purposely brought their big dog around Chico and something bad happened, I would knock that person out! :twisted: So I guess it's a good thing I don't go to dog parks around where I live, because Chico would probably have to post my bail :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think the big dog owners know their dogs are able to handle themselves during rough play, etc. It doesn't cross their mind that a 50 pound dog could actually harm a 3 pound dog. That or it doesn't cross their minds that a 3 pound dog is a bit more delicate than a lab or rottweiller.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
We don't have dog parks here.. Now they might have them inMedford but I have never heard of them...

We have a big field here that we can let our dogs run in ... It is not feneced and I will not let Gadget off his leash with so many other things like cars and other dogs that could hurt him.. I di have a long lesh and I wil have Amanda go run with him in the field.. they love it.. at first Amanda was like no way mom Am I going to run with him... but I told her that as long as she goes his speed and has the leash all the way out then she won't hurt him... so that is what the love to do once a day.. boy he will be happy when she comes home...

My neighbor lets her dogs out once a day to run.. They usually runs over her to come see me... It is funny because I am always telling them to go home because I don't want my neighbor ti freak out.. but she told me that she knows they come over here... it is so weird.. I owuld never just let Gadget run like that.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
In general, dogs who not on leashes are not permitted to get near Lily and Lily is not allowed to be off leash in an unfenced area. The only exception is that there are several larger dogs at daycare who are allowed to hang out with (but not play with) her. These are extremely gentle (and careful) dogs who are well supervised every single second. No dog parks for us.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what i don't understand, is what would make a person think their dog shouldn't be on a leash? ALL dogs should be on a leash...whether their 5 pounds or 100 pounds. a lot can happen...one second your dog is walking beside you and the next they take off after another dog, a bug flying in the air, a bird, a wild critter, or most likely, a person. dogs who aren't leashed have become such a problem, i'm seeing advertisements for dog pepper spray! :shock: isn't not having a leash on your dog illegal now anyways? people just don't care about the well beings of others :roll:

i'm still afraid to be outside my apartment because of that pitbull who's never on a leash.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper is what I call a "free range Chihuahua." In instances where he must have a leash on - city streets, busy places - he wears one. But in the leash-free areas in our city (none of them are on hike & bike trails) and places that don't require a leash, I don't make him wear one unless I feel it isn't safe to have him running free or he seems uncomfortable or edgy ... and he's rarely uncomfortable or edgy.

I personally feel comfortable having Cooper off leash in the "right" situations because I know how well he is trained and what he will most likely do in certain situations. He also knows what is expected of him and that he must always stay near me in case of emergency (he's an assistance dog). He and I practice his training every single day and I have complete confidence in him.

Owner repsonsibility plays a huge role when you take a dog off leash. I never take Cooper's leash off him unless I am completely satisfied with the environment we were in and see that Cooper is satisfied as well. I realize he is a "special" case in regards to the amount of training he has had and the fact he has a job whenever he is with me though.

That's my two cents. I DO get angry when I see dogs just roaming the streets or owners not taking responsibility to train their dogs to be in an off-leash situation though - it drives me insane.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
everything you guys are saying is so right.
a few months ago , i took jamoka to this park and we were having a BBQ and these people with rotts, pits, and Danes came over to sit next to us so i started packing up as soon as i saw them. jamoka was about 4 months so he was tiny then and the lady is talking about oh my dog is very nice you can trust him. i said look lady you may trust your dog but I DON'T !.so i asked her to keep her dogs over by her till i packed up .so i turn around and she lets all3 of these dogs OFF THE LEASH!!!!
mind you it's at least 40 kids in this area. plus my friend is really scared of big dogs and i told her that but she acted like she didn't hear me so. i went to get a park ranger. she said that my little 4month old Chihuahua (mind you he was under 3lbs at them time)were bothering
her and her 3 dogs!!! and that i threaten her!

so that when i got mad , b/c her dog came over to jamoka who was enjoying pieces of a t bone steak, and tried to take it from him ! now i love animals just as the next persons does but i'm going to protect my dog in anyway! i told her in front of the ranger that i would hurt her dog to protect mind and she got mad say'n that Chihuahua owners are too sensitive about there dogs ! lol that' s when my friend had to tell me to leave the park .that lady hit a nerve with me. i know i shouldn’t have went off like that but i make sure jamoka is on a leach even thought he's small and can't do as much harm . but i obey the rules and so should she !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts