Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS is also why I believe Lacey needs to learn that toys are not beneath her and will not make her any less dignified if she plays with them. THIS is also why she needs a hobby other than pining away for me...even if I'm downstairs. Or, in this case, 6 inches from the door.

24/7 this dog will will howl if I am not directly in her view. I've tried every trick in the book to make it stop. This clip was captured approximately 20 seconds after I exited the bedroom. The sound DOES NOT stop. I know this because my landlord, my neighbors, and my family have told me. She will get louder and louder and draw out that last "note" until her voice cracks.

Please turn up your speakers until they echo for the full effect. ;)
The Howler

·
Registered
719 Posts
She sounds so cute!!! Atleast she sounds cute, penny does the chihuahua scream of death and man! She sounds OOOOOGGLYYY! she has a very scratchy voice for some reason. I need to get a photobucket so that i can share it with u guys too!

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Poor lil' Lacey :)

my last Chihuahua, Tito, would do that also.
Before leaving the house I would go to him, give kisses, play with him alittle, a treat... cause *I* felt guilty leaving him...... My VET at the time told me I should stop ALL of that and just leave the house.... it was the hardest thing to do but Tito, after about a month, stopped howling... and believe me he could HOWL... I would hear him howl from the street as I pulled into my drive.... the VET says he sensed my leaving from the actions I created each time readied to leave...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
oh my what a moan .....What about htat thing that Brody's mom bought for her neighbors barking dogs ??

Rico has a fit when I leave but stops as soon as the door is shut. He does bark...for "announcements" things he thinks everyone need to know. These things are other dogs walking by, guess he doesn't want them to wee on his spot ?? The postman, so we all know the mail has arrived. Anyone who doesn't live on the street walking by. If Maeve is on her way in, he can do this if she is all the way at the corner of the street and he is inside...The "announcement" bark is sharp and short lived. BUT I am thinking of the thing that Brody's mom got for when I am not here to aknowledge the announcements.
It may also work on neighbor's dog barking at nothing when she is put outside...hmmm..

I don't think that Lacey's is that bad...

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
OMG, thats cute little lacy ??? lol. that doesnt even sound like a dog. hmmm. i dont any advice for you though , sorry. well, actually there was one thought i had... maybe a second dog for company could help . ( no guarantee though, i think it could, but may not)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Wow. I am really sorry for you and your neighbors. That would drive me insane. She needs to learn how to be alone, using the techniques that Jan896 talks about, for example. I wonder if one of those thundershirts would help with lacey's anxiety. I have an older dog who was wailing at night and I just eventually put her on doggie herbal sedative pills. She loves them and she sleeps until my alarm goes off. Don't throw veggies, folks . . . I am a single working Chi Mom. . .

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OMG. Seriously have never heard a chi howl like that!!! Your poor neighbors!!

I don't know if one of the ultrasonic bark stoppers would work on that or not. I bought this one for our neighbors obnoxious barking dogs. It sits on our deck, pointed at their back yard and it has stopped 90% of their barking. I don't know how it would work on separation anxiety though.

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Pepe is like that, but does the chihuahua scream of death that has all the house rushing to see why he's dying. The last two days it's getting worse. Now he will do it even if I am in the room if he thinks I am ignoring him. I understand that is so annoying to you. I wish I had a magic solution to make her more confident.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
OMG. Seriously have never heard a chi howl like that!!! Your poor neighbors!!

I don't know if one of the ultrasonic bark stoppers would work on that or not. I bought this one for our neighbors obnoxious barking dogs. It sits on our deck, pointed at their back yard and it has stopped 90% of their barking. I don't know how it would work on separation anxiety though.

Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product
I was wondering if you had found something that worked. I would love to try that with my dogs. The only problem I have is only about three really bark, but the device punishes all the dogs in the room. I have the Bark Off. It doesnt bother the puppies when they are barking, but all the adults look distressed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I guess I just used the insanity method. I really need peace and quiet, so when the Chis started going nuts (barking) I used the spray bottle, usually works, but then sometimes I just found myself screaming, "YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!" Then I would start wailing worse than them!! LOL!!! They were so distraught they stopped doing it. I am not recommending this solution, just sympathizing with how the noise can get on your nerves!!!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I know it's not funny, but I was laughing as I was listening to that. That's the cutest little howl! She definitely has some separation anxiety. We've never had a problem with Odie, but when she was a puppy, we started leaving her alone for only a couple minutes and gradually increased the time. Do you give her attention when she does that, or just ignore? I know that saying goodbye, and giving attention before you leave can increase the anxiety. You probably already know that, though! Wish I could be of more help.

Are you still planning on fostering? It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.