Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine on Facebook got a male Chi 2 years ago. I think he would now be about 5 years old.

She thought it was cute to post pics of him eating on a plate on the couch. On the plate was hot dogs. HOT DOGS!!! She giggled and LOL'd about him being a prince and that was "all he would eat" and wasn't he just "super spoiled".

I told her no that she was actually doing him a disservice, not pampering him at all. She acted interested in getting educated so I sent her links to dogfoodadvisor.com and more.

She just posted this:
Our little chichihuahau died yesterday.... :). We had him for 2 yrs....while he was adorable and loving, he was always sickly...I'm so glad that he isn't sick anymore....big sigh...it's sad when a pet dies....

He was sickly because of what he was fed and how he was managed!! Do people really not understand that?

It makes me sick to my stomach. Poor little black sweetheart.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Ugh. People. My younger sister has a chihuahua that she treats the same way- says she is just "picky" and "spoiled" so she basically just feeds her chicken or random kinds of kibble/people food. Poor dog always has stomach issues. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OMG. That is soooooooooooo sad. Ugh. People make me sick sometimes. :(

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I can't do anything now but I am kicking myself for not taking over some ZP or better treats after seeing the hot dog posts. I thought about it but I nearly never see this friend anymore.

I will be speaking up more now when I see, hear or read this kind of thing. I will also offer ZP when I can. This taught me a lesson. I am going to better follow my instincts.

Dogs deserve better than this.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and then the"big sigh". BIG SIGH??? I was nearly inconsolable and we knew **** was on borrowed time with congestive heart failure.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What a sad thing. Sadder that she has no idea how she caused his death. I feel so bad thinking about how that little puppy suffered.

·
Registered
282 Posts
people are ignorant and wont bother to look information on anything, just pure laziness, the go with their instincts which most of the time are wrong, if it wasnt for me and my interest my gf would be feeding left overs from dinner to our dog, and thats what her other dog eats everyday, and she thinks because the other dog its fine and "healthy" (he isnt even vaccinated), that our chi will be fine, my ***!! thats why i try to do my best when i see people that just dont know what they are doing, and try to not get mad when they know but dont want to do anything or spend the money to do it, to which i say, dont get pets then

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also wonder if he was EVER at the Vet. Who could feed a dog hot dogs only for 2 years and not have a sick dog? Surely a vet would ask about food and such. Although, people will do what they want even if they get good advice and guidance.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I may be out of line and somebody please feel free to correct me--feelings will not be hurt, but I think it is not ignorance--I think it is selfishness. How can people be told correct information and where to find correct information and just shrug their shoulders and make excuses for the way they want things to be. Ignorance is when you absolutely have no idea there is a better way nor do you know that you should be looking for that better way. When you have been made aware but continue in incorrect and harmful ways that is selfishness.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Poor thing. Just because a food has the word "dog" in it, doesn't mean your dog should eat it! If a human ate hot dogs all the time, they wouldn't be healthy either.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I find this just unreal. It always amazes me when people do this kind of thing. Anytime I get an animal that is unfamiliar to me, I research to see what I should be feeding. And even without the research I knew that "people food" is not good for any animal.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
so sad :( dont get me wrong i give tillie tip bits occasionally but some thing i know wont harm her and atm am trying to get better dog food but unfourtunly i only recently found at the bakers is one star! over her its made out to be the best food! and i search every food i know i can get and they are all one or two star! :( so going to try to order online if i can (we have only in the last month found out you can use paypal without cards)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ugh. I feel awful as it is that my parents feed their dog Beneful. I've tried and tried to explain nutrition to them but they just really buy into commercial advertising I guess. Every time they ask for advice on anything for him, I start with saying he should be on a proper quality food and they just want other suggestions. My parents are wonderful amazing people; and I am forever grateful toward them. But their choice of dog food embarrasses me. -_-

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh my gosh! That is pitiful. I think it is outrageous that people would even think of owning a dog without doing the research beforehand. It's completely necessary. Bless you for doing the right thing and hinting her towards the "right way." Wish someone could have gotten it through her head!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts