Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe we're giving her too much attention. At night, we started putting her crate in our room, and she can see the bed (but the bed's too high for her to see us). When she whines, I can't tell if she is doing it because she needs to potty or just because. I let her out once but she didn't need to potty, she just wanted to play so I left her in. She did good last night, no accident in her crate and when she woke up she waited really patiently for us to wake up, all quiet. But today when we decided to put her in for a bit to slowly let her get used to it, we went upstairs and she whined and cried and barked and screamed her lungs out and her voice would shake. When she does this, she would always be holding her favorite toy. It took her almost an hour to calm down. We had to shut off the lights downstairs and when we heard that she stopped we let her out and hang out upstairs with us.

We also went to the vet and he told us that pee pads make house breaking really hard. But we're kind of hesitant to get rid of them because we absolutely cannot tell when she needs to go and when I take her outside she rarely pees or poop even if she's been out there awhile. Even at home, she pees or poops every 3-4 hours and never goes right after a meal or anything.

Her habits are so unpredictable!

Also an interesting note, I went to the vet and asked him if her fur will grow much longer, and he said it might not. Which bummed me out for a few seconds because she is suppose to be long hair, but I guess not the kind of long luscious hair. He also said depending on his parents, her ears might not go up anymore which shocked me cuz I didn't know chi's can have floppy ears as an adult :eek:

Her coat. Her tail isn't fluffy at all though. If I took a pic of her tail it looks exactly like a smooth coat's. Some people ask me if she's a chi at all sometimes haha.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
How old is she? If she is two months like your siggy says.. Her hair is definitely going to keep growing! Your vet must be mistaken. Long hair chis don't get their full coat until 1-2 years old.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There's also plenty of time for his ears to go up. Chloe is 15 weeks and hers are just now all the way up. There are plenty of chi's who taken even longer than her though.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I feel your pain - I was in exactly the same situation as you when i brought Honey home. I crate trained her and she was so good in the daytimes when i was getting her used to it, but would whine all night, if felt like she never stopped! I got her out every 3 hours to go toilet, but she wouldnt go when she was out, ohh it was driving me mad!
So after posting on here for advice, i set up a pen in my bedroom with room for her bed, pee pad at one end so she could go when she needed and a little bowl of water in case she got thirsty. That night i slept soundly!! I woke up to her fast asleep in her bed, with some presents on the pee pad! I was so pleased :)
Now she is 6 months, she has the run of my bedroom and the hall at nightimes, as she is so good at going on her pee pads.
I think that if pee pads work for you - whats the problem? I'm quite lucky as Honey is an angel on her pee pads in the house, but will also go out in the garden or when we are on walks. She didnt (and still doesnt) conform to the notion that they need to go toilet 10-30 mins after eating, so i too had trouble figuring when she would need to go.
Honey's ears were floppy until recently, she is 6 months now, and her coat is definately still growing, she gets fluffier every day!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Milo whined whenever we left him - even just to go upstaris! We found that putting my dressing gown in his playpen so he could lay down on it solved the problem. He's bonded to me, so having my smell next to him reassured him, and now he will finally settle by himself, and doesn't whine any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts