Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This made me really mad. I was on Facebook today and a lady was posting saying that she needed to rehome her two dogs if anyone was interested. They are both big dogs. One is a lab, but I can't remember what the other is. They are spayed and kennel trained. They are inside/outside dogs, and both are a year old. The reason she is getting rid of them is because her son is having twins in the fall. Her son lives about an hour away and she will be traveling too much to keep them.

To me getting a dog is a commitment for that dogs life. I'm not saying that sometimes it's not ok for people have to rehome their pets. Like if they have a baby and the child is allergic or the dog bites the kid or something that's understandable. But this isn't even the lady's kids. And there isn't even a real problem between the babies and the dogs because the babies aren't even born yet! There probably isn't even going to be a problem. This just doesn't seem like a legitimate excuse to me. It just really upsets me when people act like dogs are disposable.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That is sad I agree. When people get pets they should realize its a life commitment. I am trying to re home my lab mix, but that's because MY health has gotten bad, and I'm not able to give him the exercise he needs, not any other reason. I hate seeing people get pets and then when they realize that it is a large commitment, they just get rid of them. Perhaps they should have thought about it before they got the pet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oh gosh, I agree. I try not to judge, but I just don't understand how someone could do that. An hour away isn't even that far. If she really wanted for it to work, there's no reason she wouldn't be able to make it so.

My sister was allergic to animals, and my mom still didn't get rid of the pets. Instead, my sister went to an allergist for several years. My mom didn't want to give up unless she had no choice. They are really a part of the family.

I really hope the dogs find a wonderful home.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Lindsay, unfortunately this is all too common. I always take the animal in first,
then ask questions. My job is not to judge the owner but to help the animal in
need. There are a lot of different excuses out there, more than I could count.
And I think most times the pet is better off being responsibly re-homed than to
stay with someone who isn't all that committed to them in the first place. Right
now it's 9:30 pm I have been at home since 4pm waiting for a young couple to
drop off their Rottie/Lab dog at my place because he works long hours and she
is leaving on a 3 months vaca. They are already 5 and a half hours late...yet
here I sit and wait, cleaned the house, bought the food, leash & collar, prepared
the dog bed...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I was on a breeders website the other night just looking at chihuahuas (for fun--not gonna get one) and there was a story of written by a man named Jim Willis called How Could You? It made me cry. Heartbreaking.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I dont' get that. We only rehomed one animal and thats because it tried multi times to slap my son when he was an infant and she tried to do it with claws. Sushi went to live with my mom.

I tried to rehome James and Hercules because after many many tried they were attacking my older Cat cuddles.

I had two no shows for James. I drove an hour away once to meet a lady and she never shown and never answered her phone. I have a feeling no one wanted them because I had a rehoming fee. Sorry you first have to pass my feelings and my questions before I let you have one of my cats, and yes you will have to pay a rehoming fee. I want them to go to a good home. So we ended up keeping them and letting them stay in the garage and running around outside. Might of not been the best choice but at least they had food, a place to stay warm, and a family that gave them all the lovings we could give them.

Just my personal experience with rehoming animals.

I feel for that ladies dogs. Not to be rude but an hour away yeah maybe the first month you always be over there, but after that probably once or twice a month. My father is an 45 mins away and hes just visited each of my places where I have lived maybe three times at the most.

Hopefully those dogs find good homes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I admin on a local pet site on FB it is for re homing pets. It is sad and some crazy stories but we do help people screen new owners or find a foster before just placing them with anyone.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
It is sad, but I kind of have to respect the people for making the decision if they can't give the pet the life it deserves AS LONG as they're finding a responsible FOREVER home for the animal where its quality of life will be improved. The thing that makes me really mad is when people do that and then get the same kind of pet again! That's just idiotic, and totally irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
This is very upsetting. It is unfortunate that it happens all the time. I used to live in Italy in a military community. Families would get dogs and just leave them there when they left to come back to the US. So mean, there should be more punishments for doing something like that. I'm pretty sure everyone knows (since I mention it often) but I'm moving to Japan. I was on a military forum asking questions about importing pets and people were suggesting that I "just leave the dog in the states". Like I could just leave a pair a shoes I no longer need. Meanies!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This is very upsetting. It is unfortunate that it happens all the time. I used to live in Italy in a military community. Families would get dogs and just leave them there when they left to come back to the US. So mean, there should be more punishments for doing something like that. I'm pretty sure everyone knows (since I mention it often) but I'm moving to Japan. I was on a military forum asking questions about importing pets and people were suggesting that I "just leave the dog in the states". Like I could just leave a pair a shoes I no longer need. Meanies!
Right after we got Cricket from the neighbors, they moved, and left their female lab in the backyard tied up. I called the shelter. She had puppies. She actually had 12 puppies, but the shelter was only able to get 5. The 7 had crawled under the house and died. It made me mad. I'm glad we got Cricket from them.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right after we got Cricket from the neighbors, they moved, and left their female lab in the backyard tied up. I called the shelter. She had puppies. She actually had 12 puppies, but the shelter was only able to get 5. The 7 had crawled under the house and died. It made me mad. I'm glad we got Cricket from them.
That's terrible. I can't understand just leaving a pet. That's really just sick. Some people need to pass a test before owning a dog. At least this lady is looking for a new home.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That's terrible. I can't understand just leaving a pet. That's really just sick. Some people need to pass a test before owning a dog. At least this lady is looking for a new home.
I agree, but the only thing our city requires when you get a pet from the shelter here, is that you don't have more than 2 dogs before adopting another. Its really really sad. The lab was emaciated from the puppies drinking from her. Oreo is from her first litter, and he was full of worms when we got him, so I know she had them. It makes me sick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.