Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
warning: this is tough to read, I'm sitting here with tears on my face

Dog Saved from Puppy Mill Adopted through Berkeley Heights Rescue - Berkeley Heights, NJ Patch

How can people do this? I know this issue has been brought up many times. These dogs are so helpless and to be forced into a life of abuse...it's so sad. I wish there was something I could do. If I could adopt all the rescues in the world I would. Puppy mills should be illegal!!! Why aren't they?!?!:angry4:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. We think this is what Tico's life was before he was thrown out a car window and ended up on my front lawn. That poor baby. I am so glad she has a place to love her for the rest of her life.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Exactly, as long as there is a demand there will be a supply.

Those looking for a dog, please be aware that if you purchase from a puppy mill,
pet store, or a back yard breeder you will most likely not get a healthy, well
socialized pet, and you will only further the problem of extreme animal cruelty
and neglect. Please adopt from your local shelter or rescue, or purchase from a
reputable breeder. A reputable breeder will screen a potential owner thoroughly,
a reputable breeder will health test, he/she will have a spay/neuter contract or
will alter pups before they leave with their new family, a reputable breeder
wants to better the breed instead of making a quick buck, and a reputable
breeder will take back the dog if necessary. Do your research, don't support
puppy mills. Please, for the love of dogs.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. We think this is what Tico's life was before he was thrown out a car window and ended up in my front lawn. That poor baby. I am so glad she has a place to love her for the rest of her life.

What you do for dogs is honorable. You are their hero, their savior.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i have no words. im speachless, how can people be so freakin cruel 2 animals, i just dont understand how they can put such beautiful doggies thru all that...are you kidding me she had pups every couple of months all her life? id like 2 kik the owner in the face...poor babies...sad thing is that theres many puppy mills and sad thing is nothing will ever stop these freakin people from doin this.tears*

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
i have no words. im speachless, how can people be so freakin cruel 2 animals, i just dont understand how they can put such beautiful doggies thru all that...are you kidding me she had pups every couple of months all her life? id like 2 kik the owner in the face...poor babies...sad thing is that theres many puppy mills and sad thing is nothing will ever stop these freakin people from doin this.tears*

Actually yes they CAN be stopped! We need stronger regulations and we the customers need to end the demand!

·
Registered
458 Posts
The only thing that makes me feel any better about these things is that all of my dogs are rescues. I really don't know what else I can do, but not buy from breeders and pet stores. I can donate time and some things to rescues and shelters. I hope that my beautiful and well behaved dogs will wow people into thinking rescue and shelter first and foremost. I try to shed light on the fact that a lot of animals are suffering in many ways and there are easy ways to help out. It can feel overwhelming so some people sort of just freeze and do nothing because it seems pointless.

The rescue I got my new mini poodle from had a 3 legged Chihuahua with little to no jaw and cloudy eyes. She was found in a shelter on a concrete floor, cold, alone, and suffering from old injuries (she had a 4th leg when she was found). That rescue saved her with the money they got from adoptions. She wasn't up for adoption though because they wanted to keep her. She was up and running happily so all those years suffering weren't going to bring her down anymore.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Qtchi, what you do HELPS! Don't be hard on yourself, you make a difference.

What we all can do to help:

-spread the word about puppy mills in our community

-contact the legislators & express concern about the inhumane treatment of dogs & cats in puppy mills

-not buy from puppy mills, back yard breeders or pet stores

-spay & neuter

-support animal rescue

·
Registered
801 Posts

-contact the legislators & express concern about the inhumane treatment of dogs & cats in puppy mills

-spay & neuter

-support animal rescue

I would also like to see Craig's List stop advertising pets.

Even though they say they do not promote selling animals,
BYB are on there selling all the time. Don't get me wrong
I do understand that some animals get to have a better life
with new owners, but in the end I think it just promotes
everything that is bad for animals.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
In Canada we have Kijiji which is even worse than Craigslist, because animal sales are
allowed and literally ALL of the puppy mills of Quebec post their 50+ breeds for sale on
there, it is disgusting! So yes they need to stop allowing animal sales.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In Canada we have Kijiji which is even worse than Craigslist, because animal sales are
allowed and literally ALL of the puppy mills of Quebec post their 50+ breeds for sale on
there, it is disgusting! So yes they need to stop allowing animal sales.
Yep I just checked for BC too and it looks like all puppy mill advertisements :(

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
terrible people doing this terrible things. I have never rescued a dog before. I never purchased a pet shop dog either. I didn't really give a second thought to adopting because it didn't apply to my life. I know that sounds very bad. Now that I have Miya, I couldn't imagine doing anything hurtful to that little innocent girl. I don't know how people can live with themselves if they do. And Pam, someone threw that dog out a car window? Shameful, I hope karma gets them good. Having Miya has def opened my eyes to the abuse that many many unfortunate animals have to endure, like China. She suffered practically her entire life. It pains me to see stories like this and believe that I will begin writing letters right away. I wish that this was illegal. I tried to stay away from articles that advertise abuse stories because it really hurts me to read them..and angers me, but if I didn't read it, it would be like it doesnt exists...and it does, a lot. So I read China's, and after I did, and finished crying, I snuggled Miya so hard...she was like "whats going on here, I dont know but I love it!!!"

·
Registered
464 Posts
what horrible people.
puppy mills should be illegal. :(
a few of our pet stores that sold dogs have closed.
but there are a few still open that sell them. It's horrible. I am guilty of going in and playing with the pups but never buy them practically because i see that $1,600 for a puppy mill dog is a little too much...and that was for a chihuahua. So i asked does he come with diamonds just jokingly but I never intend to purchase a dog when there are so many in pounds just looking for homes. :(.

·
Registered
458 Posts

-spay & neuter

-support animal rescue
Thanks so much. I tell myself that I'm making a difference in at least the lives I've pulled out of rescues or shelters. I volunteer at the SPCA and as nice and modern as that shelter is I feel so bad for the pets. The pets get all their basic needs in a nice indoor run with an attached outdoor run, and they get to go outside an hour a day. Other than that they are all alone because the shelter is barely staffed due to small budgets. I go in to hang out with the dogs and to help with their grooming. Some dogs are yellow or red dogs which means I either need more training to handle them or only the staff are allowed to handle them. It's very sad, but I go in anyway because I know that without volunteers the pets wouldn't have company.

Money is the biggest way to make a difference and send a message. If we don't buy, then there won't be a supply.

terrible people doing this terrible things. I have never rescued a dog before. I never purchased a pet shop dog either. I didn't really give a second thought to adopting because it didn't apply to my life. I know that sounds very bad. Now that I have Miya, I couldn't imagine doing anything hurtful to that little innocent girl. I don't know how people can live with themselves if they do. And Pam, someone threw that dog out a car window? Shameful, I hope karma gets them good. Having Miya has def opened my eyes to the abuse that many many unfortunate animals have to endure, like China. She suffered practically her entire life. It pains me to see stories like this and believe that I will begin writing letters right away. I wish that this was illegal. I tried to stay away from articles that advertise abuse stories because it really hurts me to read them..and angers me, but if I didn't read it, it would be like it doesnt exists...and it does, a lot. So I read China's, and after I did, and finished crying, I snuggled Miya so hard...she was like "whats going on here, I dont know but I love it!!!"
It's not bad that you haven't rescued a dog. Now that you know about homeless and/or abused/neglected pets, then you might rescue in the future.

Soon after I started dating my husband many years ago he bought a Husky puppy from a breeder. I'm sure it was a backyard breeder too. I didn't know about it before he got her because we were newly dating, and he lived in another state. I asked him why he got one from a breeder instead of going to the local shelter or rescue. He lived in Colorado, and there were plenty of young (even puppies), healthy and gorgeous Huskies for adoption. He said that he didn't know that there was such a thing as an animal shelter or a rescue. I couldn't believe it, but somehow he didn't know about them even though he graduated at the top of his college class. Now he knows better and so now he wouldn't do it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts